satellite tv -- short term providers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithb

Hi all,
  Since I am still a working man with small children, we can only travel in our '04 Winnebago Journey 39k for a week or a weekend at a time. Our unit came equipped with an in-motion satellite dome. My question: Are there any sattelite providers who will rent you service on and off short term? We have cable at home and changing over to satellite is not an option. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith:

Sorry but I do not know of any.

Do you have relatives with sat service at home. IF they are willing for $5.oo a month they could have an additional receiver that would work in your coach.

Jeff /Washington said:
for $5.oo a month they could have an additional receiver that would work in your coach.

Now that's a creative solution Jeff.

I am in the "Shopping stage" and hit upon a service called "Starband" 

1: I would like to hear from those who can comment on it, good, bad, indifferent

2: Service price,  I  won't discuss parts & instalation, and note, this is 2-way INTERENT, not television

70/month (montly) 60/monty (Yearly) 55/monty (3 year contract)

My suggestion: Google, Yahoo, Dogpile and Jeeves are your friends

John

When I researched the various systems it seems that Starband had some disadvantages, but I don't recall what they were (need to find my notes). I chose DW and have had no complaints. It also helps having our own DW expert right here on the forum - he's bailed me out a couple of times.

Tom said:
John

When I researched the various systems it seems that Starband had some disadvantages, but I don't recall what they were (need to find my notes). I chose DW and have had no complaints. It also helps having our own DW expert right here on the forum - he's bailed me out a couple of times.

Well... Prices are not that much different... I am looking for a DW system and happened to stumble on Starband.

John In Detroit said:
Well... Prices are not that much different... I am looking for a DW system and happened to stumble on Starband.

Well, I don't pay $70/month for DW. But you pays your money and you takes your choice.

how did we get to satellite internet. the original question was about "satellite tv". i have been unable to locate any short termers. however, dish network will let you turn the plan off for up to six months at a year for a $5.00/off month fee. or as i will probably do, you sign no contract if you have your own equipment and can turn it off at any time without a fee. reactivation will cost $25.00 to accomplish however. but, if your off for more than a month or two, the fee is much less than the service would have cost you. you just have to way the difference in dollars and choose your own method. the main point is no contract, cancel/cut-off at any time.

Jeff /Washington said:
If you don't get caught! 8)

I don't see as there would be a problem doing that. We have in motion dishes on everything in the fleet over 30 feet. If a customer wants to pay for the service in the time they are renting, we simply install the box and show then how to set it up. Direct TV doesn't care where the box is used...just that it's use is paid for.

Jay

keithb said:
  Since I am still a working man with small children, we can only travel in our '04 Winnebago Journey 39k for a week or a weekend at a time. Our unit came equipped with an in-motion satellite dome. My question: Are there any sattelite providers who will rent you service on and off short term? We have cable at home and changing over to satellite is not an option. Any help would be appreciated.

Keith

I have DirecTV with an RV status, this means I can subscribe to the national feeds rather than the local feeds. I just called DirecTV this morning to suspend my service from now until our next trip in January. After Quartzsite, I will again suspend service until our next trip. No charge by DirecTV, no billing during the suspended period and the system is usually active again on the day I request. If not, a quick phone call fixes everything.

On using the Home SAtilite  on the RV, 7 yrs ago when Son took my Dish from here at the house and p[ut in on his 300 mile away he got these locals and when came and installed it for him I was there and they simp[ly added an 8th outlet to the bill and attached the RV (MINE) with it and I had 5 bucks a month Dish until Aug this yr when he move too AZ and doen't get it any more.  Maybe I should call dish and raise heck that I lost my signal. He He.  I sure there are people that would.

One comment.... Some sattlite providers offer a "Sleep" mode for your account.  Basically they suspend service on your uint till you call back to re-activate,  This costs only a few dollars per month.  (Don't ask how much) and then when you hit the road again you call back and go back to full price.

NOTE: so far, I've not got mine working... Antenna can not find the sattaliet,,, Will continue to work tomorrow when it's lighter out and I can take some more accurate readings to find the direction of search... May be obstructed

May have a bad device in the line too.. I can test that very easily (It's bypassable)

If you buy all your own equipment  including  the Dish, and not take a deal from the provider. you can buy service on month to month basis.  At least in this midwest neck of the woods you can. Check with a Satilite dealer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom