Satellite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had one some years back, and it was pretty good. I still have it, but haven't used it for several years, so I don't know the current situation.

We have the Dish pay as you go system for six years now. It works go for us. We have used all over the US. With no problems, as long as it can see the southern sky. You can change your location on line or call them and give them the zip code so you can get the local stations.

Bill

With a Dish Outdoors pay as you go account, you can change your locals to where you are with a few taps an an app on your phone. It uses the GPS feature to locate you. We've had the plan since 2008 and use it with an ordinary residential dish mounted on a portable tripod. I use a phone app from Winegard for aiming. Our dish cost less than $100 and works fine with our Dish Hopper w/Sling receiver. The auto aiming "dome" style dishes do not work with the Hopper series receivers.

The auto aiming "dome" style dishes do not work with the Hopper series receivers.
By far the biggest downside with the domes like our Pathway X2 given the Hopper lets you record multiple shows at once but with the Pathway you can only record a single show at a time.

While this can be frustrating at times more often than not I have a hard enough time finding ONE show to watch! Given we never watch anything "live" I'll go through the guide on any given day and pick things to record that we can watch later. If all else fails, there's always oldies like Gunsmoke. :)

Otherwise despite a few quirks it's served us pretty well going into our 4th year with it and we've never been at a site where we couldn't position the dome to get at least some satellites. Had to go out over 150 feet at one park in Texas.

We've met a number of campers with big rigs and roof mounted sat antennas that couldn't get a signal given their fixed location. Even if we had that kind of setup I'd want a portable as well given the number of times that happens.

By far the biggest downside with the domes like our Pathway X2 given the Hopper lets you record multiple shows at once but with the Pathway you can only record a single show at a time.

While this can be frustrating at times more often than not I have a hard enough time finding ONE show to watch! Given we never watch anything "live" I'll go through the guide on any given day and pick things to record that we can watch later. If all else fails, there's always oldies like Gunsmoke. :)

Otherwise despite a few quirks it's served us pretty well going into our 4th year with it and we've never been at a site where we couldn't position the dome to get at least some satellites. Had to go out over 150 feet at one park in Texas.

We've met a number of campers with big rigs and roof mounted sat antennas that couldn't get a signal given their fixed location. Even if we had that kind of setup I'd want a portable as well given the number of times that happens.
Yes, with your X2, you have the best "dome" available since it can use either arc satellites and has a larger dish than most. And yes, we've also seen numerous times when roof mounted dishes failed to get a signal. Sometimes they give up and sometimes they drag out either a portable "dome" or a tripod mounted dish similar to ours. In the 14 years we've been using our portable tripod dish, we've never landed on a sight where I couldn't get a signal from one arc or the other. And I almost never choose sites for their satellite view. The longest coax run I've used so far was 300 feet with the dish set up on top of a berm behind our site. The photo below is a 200 foot run. Bragging rights to anyone that can name the Florida park where this was taken. Hint: It's a state park that isn't called a state park.

0125211047.jpg.

Last edited:
If you do get a Dish antenna you might want to use one of these.

It mounts to a base that is attached to the roof but you can also use it on a tripod.

Attachments

• 20210321_103121 - Copy.jpg
    20210321_103121 - Copy.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210321_103856.jpg
    20210321_103856.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210321_111718.jpg
    20210321_111718.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210321_103113.jpg
    20210321_103113.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
We had Dish using a portable Pathways II antenna for 3+ years with our travel trailer. Worked great. We ended up getting a tripod to put it on to get better angles in the hilly country we were in frequently. When we got the MH we had a roof system installed (Traveler) that gets all three satellites at once. We have used it for 4 years now. No problem with the Dish service if you get the Dish outdoors account. Never had any problems with either antenna. And there are still an awful lot of places we go where cellular data is hard to come by, and external WiFi is a pipe dream. It all depends on where you like to go.

Don't forget that the "dome" style auto-aiming dishes only work with the one current model and one obsolete model Dish receiver. None of them work with the Hopper series multi-tuner receivers that can record multiple channels and will soon have a companion Hopper Plus unit that integrates most Android apps with the satellite offerings for an "all-in-one" solution. And like the rooftop mounted Winegard Trav'ler Dish dish, most only receive the western arc satellites instead of being able to use either arc for the maximum aiming opportunities on wooded sites. I'm on a site in a park right now where there are very few if any sites with a western arc view due to the low arc elevation and the high trees surrounding the park. The higher elevation eastern arc is working fine here though...

We had Dish using a portable Pathways II antenna for 3+ years with our travel trailer. Worked great. We ended up getting a tripod to put it on to get better angles in the hilly country we were in frequently.
Yep, good point. Tripod that you can use to level the dish is almost a necessity IMO. At least in the vast majority of sites we've stayed at.

Back
Top Bottom