saving a spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot depends on park policy
At one Park I was taking my Rig in for an oil change and ask if I could just leave my car on site.. NO. but Security put a OCCUPIED sign up for me.  (So no problem)

At another I had my own "Site Occupied" sign

All depends on the park..  Has never been a problem though.

I get my oil changed again in about a month. but I'm not sure if I'll return to the site or just head south (Most likely head south from oil change shop)

I tend to travel in a motorhome without a TOAD car, so I carry a Campsite occupied sign ( I think I bought on ebay for about $15) and collapsing orange cones that I can use if I need to go to a dump station, refill water, etc.

p.s. a  cheap pop up tent is another option (2 person dome tents can be bought for under $25 on amazon), and may be more likely to be respected than an occupied sign, I always worry someone will toss the sign aside and occupy the site while I am away, then claim they did not see a sign when they showed up.

I'm sorry for the confusion I caused by using the term boondocking incorrectly.
You were well within common usage for the term; there is no formal definition. Many consider any camping with electric hook-ups to be "boondocking", but others have more stringent definitions.  The key point is that different camping areas have different policies (and sometimes even no policy at all).  Even state and federal public-use lands typically have local rules in addition to whatever the general policies are, so do your best to learn them before attempting to hold a site. You cannot assume that the lack of hook-ups means its a free-for-all.

If a camping area has designated sites and maintained roads, it's a pretty good bet that there will at the very least be a periodic ranger patrol and often a camp host, though the host may be a volunteer whose main purpose is to call a ranger when & if needed.

LarsMac said:
If you're talking an hour or so, maybe, but a day ahead would be kinda piggish, IMHO. Kinda pushes the spirit of the arrangement, I think.

You're right.  An hour or so seems reasonable.  Overnight would not be right.

Look at google earth.  If you can see the roof of other RVs in the same area you are probably good to go.  Use the 'go back in time' function to look at previous year imagery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom