Saw this on the Natchez trace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darsben

Central NY in summer beautiful Casa Grande AZ in w
Met this guy on the trace. He drives it around after removing the grill from the front. Claims he has never been pulled over

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_183035.jpg
    IMG_20210506_183035.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20210506_182931.jpg
    IMG_20210506_182931.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20210506_183148.jpg
    IMG_20210506_183148.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 139
Thats Robert E. Lee Voyles. have met up with a couple of times on the Trace. very interesting man.

We may be driving the Trace in a couple of days (weather permitting), will keep an eye out for him

What is the trace? Is it a CG or a highway?
He wouldn’t be on the road long here in NH. The LEO would have him pulled over in a flash.

Rene, the Natchez Trace is actually a road that is also a National Park. Limited access and no commercial enterprises along the way. It's a beautiful drive at lower speeds(45-55 mph limit, I think). Lots of historical and scenic stops along the way, as well as free campgrounds.
I'm going to go back and drive the entire 400+ mile length one of these days. Hopefully I won't get my Jeep stolen this time.

Rene, here is a link to the NP website. We have not been all the way through, but what we have seen is quite unique and beautiful. This is just another example of US History and scenery making it a must see.

Ed

Think of the Natchez trace as a 400+ mile long half mile wide national park, just wide enough to hide the surrounding civilization along most of the route, with pull offs, historical markers, etc. every few miles, a low speed limit and no commercial trucks allowed. It follows the route of the old Natchez Trace road, which was a walking trail from Natchez to Nashville, people would raft down the Tennessee and Mississippi rivers with cargo to Natchez and walk back. The modern Trace parkway took a long time to construct it was started as a depression era CCC project and was finally finished in the last 10-15 years, for many years ( several decades) the 20-30 mile section around Jackson, Mississippi, as well as the last few miles at each end were left un-built.

Think of the Natchez trace as a 400+ mile long half mile wide national park, just wide enough to hide the surrounding civilization along most of the route, with pull offs, historical markers, etc. every few miles, a low speed limit and no commercial trucks allowed. It follows the route of the old Natchez Trace road, which was a walking trail from Natchez to Nashville, people would raft down the Tennessee and Mississippi rivers with cargo to Natchez and walk back. The modern Trace parkway took a long time to construct it was started as a depression era CCC project and was finally finished in the last 10-15 years, for many years ( several decades) the 20-30 mile section around Jackson, Mississippi, as well as the last few miles at each end were left un-built.
Thanks to the suggestions we got here as to a good route coming back home last month we drove the Trace for a good portion of the trip. Well worth visiting.

Great road and a most calm, relaxing environment to drive through. Fortunately we had perfect weather and even though our schedule did not allow time for doing a lot of exploring along the route, we'd definitely consider adding it to a future route in our travels.

trace1.jpg
Best I don't post the comment made by navigator when she read:
"Boys learned farming and carpentry, and girls learned spinning and weaving" :LOL:

trace2.jpg

444 miles with no cross traffic. All of it a great ride. There are no services on the road and (iirc) three FCFS dry camp areas. There are commercial cramp grounds near the Trace. There is a pull off (many are not sized for modern A's with a towed) with an historical marker about every (literally) two miles. We love the ride in the spring were you can see that the actual trace crosses the roadway. When the trees fill out, you are driving though a tunnel most of the way.
Buy the guide book first if you can.
Matt

The modern road follows the old Trace, and in several places, you can park and walk over to see the old Trace. After many hundreds of years of being an Indian path and then a path for rafters to return to Nashville on foot, horseback, or wagon, the Trace in many places has worn down 10-15 feet. Since it was not used as much after steam engines were developed for river boats, there are also places where big trees have grown up on the Trace, attesting to its age.

I don't know why more people do not know about this relaxing and historic drive. I have done it once from south to north, and would like to do it again sometime, but this time north to south.

It is not a National Park. It is a Parkway that is administered by the National Park Service. The NPS oversees over 600 areas of which there are currently 63 National Parks.
Semantics. The LEO I got when I called 911 had an NPS uniform on. He actually got there before the county sheriff.

What they don't say in this article is that when the missing person's body was found it was in "several different locations". Kinda glad my dog let me sleep through the whole incident.

"Rene Said: What is the trace? Is it a CG or a highway?
He wouldn’t be on the road long here in NH. The LEO would have him pulled over in a flash."

They would have to catch him first, he has the third highest land speed record in history! :)

This March was the first March that Canadian RVs did not take ALL of OUR
free camping spots along the Natchez trace.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom