Saying hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am new to this form and new to RVing. I have a used Jayco popup which we really enjoy. We use it several times during the summer months. We also sometimes just sleep in it in our yard just for the fun of it. I look forward to the discussions.

Welcome to The RV Forum. Feel free to browse our message boards, join in the discussions, or start one of your own. Be sure to check out our forum Library, Resources for RVers, and Glossary of RV Terms (links in the toolbar above). Post a question, and we'll try to get it answered.

Welcome to the RV Forum Wesley

It is fun to just get away from the house...Even if it's just the backyard.

I am glad to know others enjoy the RV in their back yard. For us it just feels like we are doing something different. We live on 2 acres and plan to install a hookup for other RV friends who want to visit us. Our popup only requires standard outlet, but our friends require 30 and 40 amps. Is this standard stuff or is there something I have to watch out for. I know from using generators that 30. 40 and 50 amp plugs are different. So not sure how to accommodate all possibilities. Our garage has its own 100 amps panel which is hardly used and there is lots of space in the panel.

If your thinking of adding outlets here are somethings to consider,

The outlet for your popup should be a dedicated circuit. And I would check to see what is needed. I'm guessing a 20 amp (As opposed to a 15 amp).

If I was to add outlets for friends to use I would just go with a 30 amp to start. (Make sure it's 30 amps @ 120 Volts)

Later if the need arises you can either add another 30 amp or a 50 amp

Most people will be grateful just to be able to plug in.

I haven't heard of anyone using a 40 amp. 

I am likely wrong about the 40 amp. If I put in a 30 amp, then when someone comes with a 50 amp, will they still be able to pug in?  Do they have a converter for that? I hear the newer, larger RVs use 50 amps and some camp sites have hook ups for them.

The cabling for this stuff is quite expensive. It has to go underground. So I am thinking about running one cable that will handle 50 amps so at least I won't have to upgrade later.

They do make adapters that will allow different connections to be made. So if you want to install a 50 amp folks could make that work.

I will also add that if I go to visit someone I don't expect to be able to plug in my RV. If my host offers a connection I'm grateful for whatever they have available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom