SCAM anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayrat

I answered an ad on Craigslist for a diesel motor home that seemed to be way too cheap but the picture looked great. See our communication below. Buyer beware.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:47:19 -0400

Diana,

The pictures did not come through please try again. . In all honesty, if it is a diesel as advertised, you are not asking enough for it. If it is gas, you are about right in price. I'm probably not the smartest person for telling you that, however, I can't take advantage of a person.  If diesel I would like to see it, where is it located?

Regards,

Don

On Oct 10, 2012, at 6:38 PM, Diana Tiemens wrote:

Hello, and thank you for showing interest in my 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor!
The general condition of the RV is excellent, very well maintained, no damages, no mechanical problems and no electrical issues. It has a clear title free of any liens or loans and a clean carfax, free of accidents. I have placed more recent pictures below so you can see it really looks great at only 47,200 miles and the final price is $16,800. Because of my divorce settlement, I own this RV and as a woman without driver's license I don't need it so I'm trying to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Here is the VIN# 1rf12061612015471 (with this number you can find everything about the RV).
Please tell me what other information would you be interested in and I will try and provide it to you.
Thank you, Diana

Hi again Don,
I'm sorry for that, I will try to attach the pictures to you again. Please give me a little time to explain you the process of this transaction,
As I told you in my first email, I divorced, I got a new job and moved to Boston, MA. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. The RV is located in Boston, MA at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The RV will arrive at your address in 6-7 working days. You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the RV prior to make any purchase. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
full name and address
phone #
After I will have all this details I will forward them to eBay and I will proceed this transaction. eBay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the requested details.
Thank you, Diana

We have seen this scam so many times! You know what they say, "If it sounds too good to be true..."

-Roni

I don't spend much time on ebay or craigslist so this motor home search has given me some real lessons!

When I buy anything on e bay or craigs list I do it in person and in cash unless it is for a small item that costs less than 25 dollars. (the cost of a carton of smokes, and I dont smoke).  If you buy a expensive item by the ''photo'' I will be glad to sell you some land, a bridge and a horse and guarantee delivery of said item to your door.  Never but NEVER pay for anything like a motor home or a car or anything of value unless you can touch it.  Do not even send a deposit so they will ''hold it for you''. 
this is just the logic I live by and I am probably wrong but I have yet to be scammed out of anything ......................cj

Bring the troops home.    Nothing in the ''sand box'' is worth one more of our youngest and finest.............................cj

WOW CJ, been a long tme since you saw a price for a carton, I don't smoke either, but waaay off.

As to eBay and Craigslist.  CL tends to be more local and easy to deal with in person and cash,  eBay I have been using since near the beginning.  I don't think I would ever buy something like a motorhome, I want to be much more personally involved in that transaction, but I hove no problem with items up to around $1,000.  Lots of caveats though.  Feedback, insurance etc.

If this coach is really in Boston, it ought to be easy enough to have t verified.
Oh, and a phone conversation would go a long way in bringing confidence in moving on. 

I'd drop this "offer" like a hot potato!  It's a scam.  When I was looking for a Jeep, I got a similar response... only this person said the vehicle was at a military base in NC while he was stationed in Europe.  I called the CO at the base and ask if anyone by his name was stationed there or even known or had a vehicle on site.  They never heard of him... They said they might go after this guy for misrepresentation or something.

If the stuff on CL's is not nearby, so you can go see it, I'd forget it.  JM2C.

One of the things I do is copy the listing title and GOOGLE it. If it comes up in a lot of states and it has been flagged then forget it. After a few times you'll recognize the wording and know if it's a scam. If you do respond they will tell you that it is somewhere else and you can't come and pick it up but they will deliver it to you. DUH!

Once I read the second reply I knew what was up. Perhaps I should propose to the grieving widow?

PancakeBill said:
WOW CJ, been a long tme since you saw a price for a carton, I don't smoke either, but waaay off.

With respect sir I will invite you to click on this link below and then click on North Carolina to check prices....  I found over twenty brands from $1.81 per pack to $2.50 per pack retail and NC has no state tax on tobacco that I know of. 

http://www.cigaretprices.com/NorthCarolina.htm

Have a nice day.....cj....

Seajay said:
With respect sir I will invite you to click on this link below and then click on North Carolina to check prices....  I found over twenty brands from $1.81 per pack to $2.50 per pack retail and NC has no state tax on tobacco that I know of. 

http://www.cigaretprices.com/NorthCarolina.htm

Have a nice day.....cj....

Apparently smoking is not "sin taxed" in your neck of the woods. Just yesterday in Oregon the clerk checking out our purchases miscoded one of our items. She immediately deducted the amount of her error. The erroneous item? A carton of cigarettes. The price? $55.20. Thank God we both stopped smoking in 1989! (Thank God for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with the price of cigarettes.)

Margi

Here is a nice scam that was perpetrated on a friend of mine a long time ago....  Here is the scam.... 

Donnie desperately wanted a Sportster Motorcycle like mine.  He asked that if he should find one for sale, would I go with him to ''check it out''........ I said sure will my friend.....

About three weeks later he called me and asked ''Where can I get a title for a bike I bought a couple weeks ago''?    I told him that this is not possible.   
Here is the story he told me.......
He saw an advert about a Sportster Motorcycle up in Va at a ridicules low price.  He rode up and looked at the bike.  The guy told him that he could not ''ride'' the bike because he did not have a license plate to go it and that the title was ''IN TRANSITION'' and being transferred to the guy with the bike.  He told Donnie that since he had come all the way to Danville to ''look at the bike'' that Donnie could just pay him half the asking price for the bike and take it back home with him and when the title came back from the DMV in Virgina he would notify Donnie and he could come back, pay the other half of the debt and this guy would then transfer the title to Donnie and the deal would be ''done''.  Donnie said great and handed the guy a grand, loaded the bike on his trailer and brought it back to High Point........  Time passed,,,,,,,,,,, One week, then two, then a month and Donnie could not understand why it was taking so long for the title to come back.  Donnie told me that he still owed a couple thousand on the ''bike'' and he just knew the guy was anxious to get his remaining money for the bike.  Finally, in desperation we went back up to Danville VA and back to the house where he had bought the bike.  THE GUY WAS GONE.........LONG GONE......Donnie had the rest of the money for the bike and could not understand why the guy had hit the trail and not gotten the rest of the money owed on the bike
The guy had sold Donnie a stolen bike.  This was why he had no title for the bike.  The guy had left with half the money for the sale price of the bike and was happy and Donnie had a bike that he could not get a title for...............

MORAL OF THE STORY ..  Never but NEVER buy a vehicle that has no title ........  If you can not hold the title and check the Vin number and get absolute positive ID on the person selling the vehicle .............WALK AWAY AND DONT LOOK BACK..........

REMEMBER THIS ....People are staying up late figuring out ways to Scam the honest people...

CJ, didn't know you lived in NC, where at the entry of the state they give you a welcome pack of cig's.  Prices I have seen in any other state is more like Margi.  $55 a carton. 

I quit when it was $2 a carton. 

Sportster Motorcycle like mine.

What year Sportster do (did) you have?

I had a '77 back in the early 80's, but I have some sort of brain defect, because I can't seem to learn to shift for anything! The last time I rode it was when I was first learning, in a high school parking lot with a helmet in really hot weather.

That stiff clutch got me. My hand got so fatigued and so sweaty from the heat, that when I let the clutch out, it flew right out of my hand. Bike stopped short, my body kept going. Bike fell on me leaving a huge bruise on my thigh. I'd just found out I was pregnant and thought maybe I should try again when they come out with automatic transmissions.

The bike had a sidewinder kit in it and I was sooo looking forward to getting it out on the highway!  :-[ Oh well!

-Roni

Back
Top Bottom