Scam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

Thought I'd drop this in and see if anyone has gotten an email from Mr Larry Cole.  Does not feel right! :-\
Greetings,
    Thanks for the information. I am sure Rv is cute and beautiful.
This is all the Requirements needed at this time. my friend shipping company will handle every other thing necessary when they arrives at your location.
    The price is okay by me. but i will to take the Rv, I will ike to  pay the full amount of $24,500 for Rv plus an extra $100 for you to take care of it till The picked up by the shipper for my Father.
    So please get back to me, and also keep other buyer off, and i will like you to know that my banker in the state will send you the money in terms of Usa certified cheque or Money Order of $29,750. Can I trust  you to have it cashed, take $24,600 and send the rest balance to the shipper via westernunion , so the Rv can be picked up at your location down to my house in Canada, If yes, kindly reply with the  following payment details so I can inform him  to make out payment  to you. Thank you.
    NAME AS TO APPEAR ON CHECK................ 
    PHYSICAL MAILING ADDRESS...................
    PHONE # FOR BANKER TO REACH YOU ON.........
  Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Larry Cole
    PS: Here is my address for the paper work.
    NAME................ Mr Larry Cole
    ADDRESS.........  Mountain Avenue, P.O. Box 1111,
                      Banff, Alberta, Canada T1L 1J2

PHILLIP A UPHAM <[email protected]> wrote:

Unless you know Larry Cole very well I would treat this as a scam.

Sure looks like a Nigeria type scam to me. I get a lot of them, but this one does have a different twist. Briefly, the scam occurs with auto sales and they give you a generous offer but send a forged Bank draft, etc....SUre hope the fellow isn't for real:) :eek:

fastphil said:
Thought I'd drop this in and see if anyone has gotten an email from Mr Larry Cole.  Does not feel right! :-\
Greetings,
    Thanks for the information. I am sure Rv is cute and beautiful.
This is all the Requirements needed at this time. my friend shipping company will handle every other thing necessary when they arrives at your location.
    The price is okay by me. but i will to take the Rv, I will ike to  pay the full amount of $24,500 for Rv plus an extra $100 for you to take care of it till The picked up by the shipper for my Father.
    So please get back to me, and also keep other buyer off, and i will like you to know that my banker in the state will send you the money in terms of Usa certified cheque or Money Order of $29,750. Can I trust  you to have it cashed, take $24,600 and send the rest balance to the shipper via westernunion , so the Rv can be picked up at your location down to my house in Canada, If yes, kindly reply with the  following payment details so I can inform him  to make out payment  to you. Thank you.
    NAME AS TO APPEAR ON CHECK................ 
    PHYSICAL MAILING ADDRESS...................
    PHONE # FOR BANKER TO REACH YOU ON.........
  Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Larry Cole
    PS: Here is my address for the paper work.
    NAME................ Mr Larry Cole
    ADDRESS.........  Mountain Avenue, P.O. Box 1111,
                      Banff, Alberta, Canada T1L 1J2

PHILLIP A UPHAM <[email protected]> wrote:

That message SCREAMS scam!!!

Yep, I got two of these when I tried to sell my car on Craigslist.

Same elements:
- Willing to pay the full price - not even mention of price dickering
- Wants their shipping company to take care of it
- Wants to pay with some form of payment other than bank transfer or cash
- Wants YOU to pay the shipper
- Wants to entice you by paying you a handling fee

In the end, not only have you GIVEN away your vehicle for FREE, but you paid to have it hauled off, not to mention any overdraft fees that come as a result of the check bouncing.

Tell the guy to **** off

Better yet  Call the FBI and they will probably ask you to Email it to them.  It's probably a group aiding and abedding terrorism.  I got one similar and called them and they wanted the copy.

I do recall one of the scams I got (I think it was an Ebay Phish) where just for the fun of it I backtracked the URL they wanted me to go to and enter all my personal data so I could get ripped off (Suffice to say I did not bite, just used FireFox's built in features to find the real URL)

Turned out to be in Afganstan.  Kind of makes me wonder if Bin Laden is trying to rebuild his fortune (Which the US impounded about 9-12-2001)  by ripping off good hard working US citizens.

Oh yes, Phish properly reported to the proper places

Phil,

I am a financial consultant at a bank and there is no doubt that THIS IS A SCAM.  I see these all the time.  When you get the "cashier's check" it will appear to be good and you can even deposit it at your bank, but it WILL come back as a fake check and you WILL end up loosing the "difference" that he is trusting you to send to him, and if the vehicle is already transferred to someone else, you will loose that too.  Don't even answer the e-mail and AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

Dan

This is an obvious and not a new SCAM.  You cash the check, send him the money he asks and the check bounces and you are stuck with making good the check to the bank.

The hook in this is that he's going to give you a small amount of cash to do the job for him.  He's not telling you the check is totally bogus and you're in deep kimshee.

STAY AWAY from this deal.  STAY AWAY  PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

Thanx All, I will stay away from this.  I knew it from the beginning but wanted to verify my thoughts.  I wish there was a way to track these folks down and bust them in person!  Our just desserts are denied!

From the CL web site:

Most people who use craigslist have great stories to tell about their experiences with buyers, sellers, tenants, landlords and such, but we also receive occasional reports of scams and fraud. We've found that one of the best ways to avoid this problem is to keep all transactions local -- whenever possible, don't do business with anyone who is not in your local area.

Use caution and common sense when dealing with any financial transaction:

DEAL ONLY WITH LOCALS! Most non-local inquiries on craigslist are scams.
NEVER wire funds to a distant person, via Western Union or any other carrier
Be wary if the other party wants to use an escrow service such as BidPay or Squaretrade
NEVER give out personal financial information (checking account number, SSN, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
trust your instincts, and always remember that the most important rule -- caveat emptor -- BUYER BEWARE -- applies to any transaction on craigslist where money is involved.
If you think you have been scammed, contact the non-emergency number for your local police department -- they may be able to offer advice about your options.

Who should I notify about fraud?
FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
FTC online complaint form (www.ftc.gov)
Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov/)
If you suspect that an item posted for sale on craigslist may be part of a scam, please email the details to "[email protected]". Be sure to include the URL (or eight-digit post ID number) in your message.

There also have some examples on how the email scams work which is very useful on any web purchases.

Full text can be found here.

http://chico.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Note: CL has recreation vehicles for sale just add /rvs to the end of your url http://TOWN.craigslist.org/rvs or click on the actual "For sale" item then select recreational vehicles from the drop down.

woodartist said:
Come on John...your going to destroy my income ;D ;D ( Joke)

Naa, Just find you legitimate employment as a tinsmith :)

It is said "Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself"

In some federal prisons... They make rope

I got a reply for my superglide about the same crap, I notified the gov't . haven't heard from the con since ;D

Back
Top Bottom