Scottsbluff NE to Moab without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Going to Scorrsbluff, NE and then heading south to Moab... want to avoid the trucking I-80.. and Denver .. Will be in October, so must plan for that too... no hurry in travels and don't mind 2 lane highways. .

Anyone travel that route? Ideas, what not to do!! Thanks...

This is the route I would take, From Laramie to Moab I have drive these roads in a 44ft MH towing a jeep. Avoids Denver and the road closure in I25.Screenshot 2022-08-17 213118.png

That's probably as good as it gets.
You cannot easily avoid all of I-80. To by-pass that section from Cheyenne to Laramie will cost a few hours, and more than a few miles.
And in October, obviously, you will want to keep a close eye on the weather.

We live in north central Wyoming and travel through Moab a couple times a year but, we hit I80 at Rawlins and then south through Baggs, Craig and then Rifle. Not a bad road at all just don't get in a hurry as often has road construction although by October most of that should be wrapped up.
As some have said pay close attention to the weather. 80 has the worst weather in all of Wyoming when it comes to snow and wind. I have seen the overpasses drifted shut underneath and that highway has been closed on us even in September. Getting off in Laramie is better than going from Laramie through to Rawlins as that is a particularly bad stretch. When I say weather remember wind, very high winds have stopped me from going when pulling a travel trailer. It gets bad enough that it quite regularly blows semi trucks over.

We live in north central Wyoming and travel through Moab a couple times a year but, we hit I80 at Rawlins and then south through Baggs, Craig and then Rifle. Not a bad road at all just don't get in a hurry as often has road construction although by October most of that should be wrapped up.
As some have said pay close attention to the weather. 80 has the worst weather in all of Wyoming when it comes to snow and wind. I have seen the overpasses drifted shut underneath and that highway has been closed on us even in September. Getting off in Laramie is better than going from Laramie through to Rawlins as that is a particularly bad stretch. When I say weather remember wind, very high winds have stopped me from going when pulling a travel trailer. It gets bad enough that it quite regularly blows semi trucks over.
We have driven that exact way from Red Lodge, MT, coming from Scottsbluff we wanted to see some other scenery. IF weather nice, we hate the wind, got caught in Moab with 70mph winds... we just pull over! Would like to take that other route suggested, but wonder where to park for night.. Walden looks like good stopping point. Really Don't want to go thru, by, Denver area...

Back
Top Bottom