Sealant for fridge vent cover screws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Today I mistakenly leaned - very slightly - on the refrigerator roof vent cover and broke through it.  That thing was sure brittle.  I have a new vent coming next week.  Have the hole in the old one patched with USPS packing tape (MUCH better than duct tape.)  Anyway, I notice the screws in the broken vent cover are coated with what appears to be a silicone sealant.  I want to be sure to waterproof the new vent once the screws are replaced.  Any suggestions what to buy? 

While I'm at it, if I wanted to look around and possibly touch up sealant on the roof, would I use the same stuff?

--pat

Hi Pat,

I just had to remove my cover this summer when I had problems with the refer not cooling. I used white silicone. I believe that's what was used originally.

You may not be able to use the silicone for the rest of your sealing. On my American Coach they use three different types depending upon the application. I don't know that any other mfgrs do that but  I'd try to contact them and see what they say.

Pat said:
Today I mistakenly leaned - very slightly - on the refrigerator roof vent cover and broke through it.? That thing was sure brittle.? I have a new vent coming next week.? Have the hole in the old one patched with USPS packing tape (MUCH better than duct tape.)? Anyway, I notice the screws in the broken vent cover are coated with what appears to be a silicone sealant.? I want to be sure to waterproof the new vent once the screws are replaced.? Any suggestions what to buy??

While I'm at it, if I wanted to look around and possibly touch up sealant on the roof, would I use the same stuff?

--pat

Just remember if you use silicone, nothing else can be used over it in the future.

Ron:  You said nothing can be used over silicone. 

1.  Is there a better choice?

2.  Not even silicone over silicone?

I'll call the plant and find out what they recommend.  Their stuff sure sticks well and holds up over the years.

--pat

I'll call the plant and find out what they recommend.  Their stuff sure sticks well and holds up over the years.

Good thing to do.  Best to use what the manufacurer recommends which will probably not be silicone.

Pat said:
Today I mistakenly leaned - very slightly - on the refrigerator roof vent cover and broke through it.? That thing was sure brittle.? I have a new vent coming next week.? Have the hole in the old one patched with USPS packing tape (MUCH better than duct tape.)? Anyway, I notice the screws in the broken vent cover are coated with what appears to be a silicone sealant.? I want to be sure to waterproof the new vent once the screws are replaced.? Any suggestions what to buy??

--pat

here is a list of Sealants and Adhesives given to me by Fleetwood several years ago
Sealants/Adhesives

Windshield 3M #SG-4799 Black

Roof/Skylight/Clearance Lights - UniRoyal Silaprene M5260

Skylight - Surebond SB140

Permatex 80726

Rectorseal #100 Virgin Teflon

Rectorseal Slowdry 5 Soft Pipe Thread Compound

Geoseal 2300 Tripolymer Clear Exterior

Ron said:
Note there is no silicone sealants in Leos list.

Besides, there are quite a few different formulas of silicone.  Each was designed for a specific application.  The other question she asked was: can you apply silicone over silicone.  YES, but that's it, unless you remove the surface of the material you are trying to adhere to.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom