Seat belt warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davem1958

I have a fairly new HR Vacationer, on a Ford Workhorse chassis.  One thing that annoys me is the seat belt buzzer, which chimes exactly 9 times, about once a minute, after I start the engine.  There does not seem to be a seat-belt sensor.  The dealer says it works normally.  Is he right?  Can I turn it off permanently?

dave

Dave,

You didn't make it clear if you had the seatbelt fastened around you or not. If you're sitting in the seat with the belt fastened, there appears to be a malfunction somewhere. Seatbelt sensors are usually part of the retraction device and are interlocked with the ignition switch, and there may be an additional weight sensor built into the seat. In either case, these things are integral parts of safety features, and it would be both unwize and irresponsible for us to advise you on disconnecting them; not to mention the legal implications. 

I am sitting in the seat with the seatbelt fastened, as always.  That's one reason I hate the buzzer -- I don't need reminding.  :)

I also tried fastening the passenger seatbelt, in case the sensor on that side had a problem.  Did not help.

Any Ford owners out there?  Is this normal operation?

Dave

Do not have a ford truck, but have driven them in past. NOT normal behavior

Though there are several alarms in my motor home that do cycle ONCE when I fire the mother up.  The key word is ONCE

Dave,

NEVER believe what a dealer tells you!!! If you have the seatbelt fastened and still get an alarm then there is a problem.

The sensor is only for the driver side. The only time is should sound is if you start the vehicle with your belt undone, then only about 6 ding-dongs. If the belt remains undone, it will chime every few minutes, but never if the drivers belt is hooked up. It almost sounds as if the sensor in the belt itself has a problem and has the mistaken impression that you have not put it on. Take it to a dealer that has their head properly positioned on their shoulders. I believe your owners manual gives a procedure to 'quiet' the alarm.

Larry

on a Ford Workhorse chassis.

Hmmm. Ford and Workhorse are competing brands of chassis, so you don't have a "Ford Workhorse".  One or the other.

The seats & seat belts are installed by the motorhome body builder but are probably wired into the chassis dashboard electrical system for the purpose of warning lights/sounds.  You can probably disconnect the chimes or could even short the sensor so it always appears the belt is latched, if there is a sensor at all.  My 2002 Dolphin/Workhorse doesn't have a sensor - it just blinks a seat belt warning light for several seconds when I start the engine. No sounds, though.

My Ford truck has a procedure to quiet the alarm, but not for the faint of heart.  many stepped procedure.  The only time it bugs me is when I am loading or hooking a trailer, in and out, not really driving.  Not going to buckle in that instance. 

One chime at a time sounds like something else, is the seatbelt icon lit on the dash when this happens?  Might not be seatbelt related.

thanks again for the advice.  I was a little confused -- Holiday Rambler offers both Ford and Workhorse as chassis options, so I somehow combined them.

It is a Ford chassis, and the red seatbelt icon flashes with the beeping.  I went to the dealer again today, for this and other small problems, and they could not find a switch anywhere.  If there's no switch, it seems like 9 reminders is a bit much.  The RV dealer suggested I contact Ford to see if it's a defect.  I will attempt that.

If the seatbelt is fastened, nobody on a seat and it beeps, there is something wrong.  Makes me think possibly the seatbelt electrical connector is somehow not connecting to let system know.  Ford shop is ultimate answer unless you want to get out your meter, and even then, could be a logic circuit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom