Seatbelts and Stabilizers and Alarms, Oh My!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gigabytejr

Howdy!

I recently purchased a 1987 Class A Winnebego Chieftan (Model M-22RC) with 90,000 miles on it this week. After having it for a few days and poking around online I've got a few questions I'd love to get some help with!

Here's what I've got so far, in no particular order:
---
  • 3-point/Shoulder Strap Seat Belts

The RV only has lap seat belts in the driver and passenger seats. I'd really like to add 3-point seat belts if possible but after doing some digging it seems that isn't necessarily recommended if the RV wasn't built for them. I reached out to Winnebago to see if they had any info on installing 3-point/shoulder strap seat belts in this particular model and they said "As shoulder strap seat belts were not a factory installation, we would not have any specific advice or recommendations for this modification." which makes sense as I'd imagine if they could be added then they would already be in there.

While digging around some more I found a few online stores that sell Captain Chairs with a 3-point seat belt built into the seat like this one. On the same page they have a disclaimer that says "Seats with Integrated Seat Belts are only for RV’s with prior DOT Test Approvals for Seats with Integrated Shoulder Seat Belts". Is there a source online I can check to see if my RV fits that bill? I'm guessing I'm out of luck and will have to stick with the lap seat belts but I figured I'd ask just in case!
---
  • Car Alarm for RV (or something similar)
Does such a thing even exist? While searching I've found a handful of security camera systems but I'm looking for something that gives similar functionality to a car alarm. I'm guessing something like this would probably work but I'd be worried about these alarms tripping while driving on a bumpy road o_O
---

• RV Stabalizer Jacks
My RV doesn't have any stabalizer jacks built into it nor did it come with any. I'm guessing they're a good idea to use when parked at a campsite though, right? If so, do y'all have a brand/type that you recommend?
---

• Issues Starting Up

Right now it takes two attempts to start the engine. If it fails to start the first time I turn the engine off and push the gas for about 1/2 a second and try to start it again and then it fires right up. Is that the right thing to do or am I doing more harm than good?

I've got an appointment with a reputable shop but it's a few weeks out (everywhere is booked out for 2+ weeks right now it seems). The previous owner had it winterized until I test drove it and purchased it the other day (4/15/2021 to be exact) so it was sitting for a few months. I should note that there was about a half tank of gas in it and now that I think about it I completely forgot to ask if he had put any fuel stabalizer in before closing it up for the winter :confused:

I'm hoping it just needs a tune up and maybe a new fuel filter and spark plugs or something along those lines. I was thinking of firing it up and letting it idle for a few minutes each day until my appointment. Is there anything else I should/could do until my appointment?

---
  • General Maintenance Tips/Guidance/Advice
Is there anything I should be doing on regular intervals to help keep my RV running smoothly? I'm not very handy when it comes to automotive stuff (yet) but I'm definitely up for doing as much as I can to get the experience!

Also, is 90,000 miles a lot for something like this? I was thinking that with that many miles it meant that it was used regularly and serviced regularly and it should last for 1,000,000 more miles with proper maintenance and care (ok, maybe a little less than a million)... Is that a realistic assumption or am I off my rocker? :LOL:

---

Thank you in advance for the assistance! If I need to split this up into separate posts, please let me know!

Thanks!
- Greg

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have lots to keep you busy. Yes separate posts are best otherwise it can become confusing. I could copy myself but it would like your info. Also put them into the relevant area to get the right attention, but only in one place.

I will lock this thread and then you can set up the individual queries.

Before you copy all your questions into new posts, I recommend putting the RV details into your signature on your profile as that helps a lot and will save you repeating the info.

Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom