Second Happiest Day of My Life...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV_Wizard said:
Workhorse chassis parts and most things remain available or there are releasable substitutes.
Any particular sources you can name other than UltraRV and Workhorse Parts?  Not too hard to find "P32" parts but they're largely for the lighter chevy chassis (stepvan, et al) and not the heavier Workhorse models (at least that I've found).  Ideally the WCC parts would cross to GM or third party but there's precious few examples of that.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I would also check Precision Sales and Service https://workhorseservice.com/  then of course there are always junkyard parts from the major RV junk yards like Colaws and Visone since many of those suspension parts would likely not be effected by being used, ie a replacement wheel if you bend a rim, etc..  Are there any specific parts that you have in mind as being problematic.

TheBar said:
I have owned both an A and currently a C. A Class A is more open and is ideal for full timing or extended long stays. But as Tom55555 said a Class C has some advantages for the casual/part time RV user. Especially when buying an older RV. In my opinion owning a Class C is much lower cost from the purchase price to maintenance.

1.If you are driving east in the morning or west in late afternoon you will appreciate the overhang keeping the sun out of your eyes  :)

2. Class C tires. Available anywhere tires are sold. My last set were Goodyear @ $105 per tire. Class A tires can be several hundred per tire depending on the size and less availability.

3. Any mechanic can work on a Class C because it is just a standard Ford/Chevy van. Whether they choose to or do not have a high lift still limits who will repair it.

4. Drivetrain and suspension. Most parts are on the shelf at any small town auto parts store. No worries about being stranded waiting on special parts to arrive. Many parts are way cheaper also.

5. Cab. Being a standard van cab parts are also readily available. From the front grill to the dash parts and switches. Many Class A parts, even switches are specialized and hard to find. Some people think the steel cab is also safer in a collision.

6. Shorter Class C's are more common than short Class A's. A shorter vehicle under 26 feet can go anywhere a pickup truck can go. Restaurant parking lots, narrow city streets, convenience/gas stores are not a problem.

I agree and class C's are destroyed intentionally and scientifically analyzed.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/physics/kinetic.php

In simple terms, if two vehicles are going 60 MPH and have a head on collision; one is a 5 ton RV, the other a 2.5 ton SUV; the RV's speed will decrease to 30 and the SUV's speed to minus 30. It's simply a transfer of energy.

This is a physics example in an exact scenario, in real life, **** happens. That's why we have engineers that test, test and test. LOL

Test drove the Workhorse-chassis Windsong the other day.  First impression is that the low-end throttle response is indeed better than a V-10 (though it is 3 1/2 years since I last drove one of those). Drives very well and my wife likes the height and openness compared t a Class A.  Also a lot quieter up front (important with the cats) and less shaking an rattling.  The Class C shooked and rattled a lot (mainly from between the cab and the house).

Not sure what size a Class C tyre is but the 19.5"s that Class A has runs about $300 (my currency) installed with taxes.

Bit put off by the fact the chassis is discontinued.  However, the vehicle will be driven through logging, mining and agricultural communities so I think there will be arts and service. 

The price is still a bit high on the Windsong so I think I will wait and keep looking.  If it is a Ford, '05 or later.

This thread kinda got lost when the forum format changed, but wanted to update it.

I would also check Precision Sales and Service https://workhorseservice.com/
Availability of suspension parts for P32 Workhorse chassis from them is very slim, as in just a few.
Are there any specific parts that you have in mind as being problematic.
In the course of my rebuild project it turns out most "soft parts" - seals and boots - are nearly unobtanium. Example, tie rod boots. I even have the chevy part number for them and it crosses to a number of '80's and '90's chevy/GM trucks but there are none to be had from any online source I could dig up. That's not to say there are none to be had if you know where to look, but for sure they're not easy to find. No doubt if I were to peruse the chevy collector/restorer forums there would be some tribal knowledge where to look or who might have some that would work, or could be crossed to something else. I could buy an entire tie rod assembly that includes new boots, but that's an expensive way to go just to get new boots. The "hard" parts you can't get are more concerning, namely upper control arms and the wheel spindle. Those would be junkyard only items at that point, subject to finding a suitable donor. Over the years I've done my share of rooting through boneyards looking for a special bracket, module or part for my old cars but it's not like there's very many workhorse chassis junkyards around. The W22 and W24 chassis I think would be easier to source parts for, and in my view would probably be worth a bit more obsolescence risk because it's a better chassis to start with. My advice to anyone considering any RV built on a workhorse P32, keep looking. If it's pre-2000 chevy P32 your chances of finding parts is better, just that the 99-2005 widetrack workhorse P32 has too many unique parts and too little demand to stock parts for.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Back
Top Bottom