Securing Euro chair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
In a couple of days, with our 2nd appointment at Davis Cabinets, we'll have joined the ranks of the "computer desk" conversions; A corner desk and side cabinets will replace one of the sofas in our coach. We'll be buying what some folks call a "Euro chair" to perform double duty as a recliner and a working chair. Do folks somehow secure these chairs to the floor and, if so, how?

Tom

>>Do folks somehow secure these chairs to the floor and, if so, how? <<

I have the Ekornes{SP) chair & it is heavy, in fact the circular base is embedded in the carpet.<G>? I have only had one major panic stop in the 6+ years I have owned it when a deer ran in front of us & it didn't move, but the hassock slid forward.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Tom said:
In a couple of days, with our 2nd appointment at Davis Cabinets, we'll have joined the ranks of the "computer desk" conversions; A corner desk and side cabinets will replace one of the sofas in our coach. We'll be buying what some folks call a "Euro chair" to perform double duty as a recliner and a working chair. Do folks somehow secure these chairs to the floor and, if so, how?

Hi Tom,

Our Euro chair is not fastened down with anything,? It is quite heavy and the ring around the bottom has made a deep impression in the carpeting which holds it I think.? All I? know is what a pain it is to move the chair when I decide to vacuum under it.  When we travel I move the foot rest to a more secure location (behind chair against wall)? and I turn the chair so that the back is facing toward the front.? This appears to keep the chair from rotating during travel.? We've had a few panic stops which caused a few things to ride forward but that chair never budged.? I do not ever sit in that chair while underway as it has no seat belts.? Maybe? you would want to attach it to the floor if you want to sit in it while traveling but have no clue as to how to attach it to floor.? I like to be able to move it to clean under it.? Are you getting the chair from the Scan Design place in Eugene?? They had the best selection for us .

Betty Brewer

We are also among those that have the Euro chair that is not fastened down.  Sam puts the footstool up against the desk.  Like Brewers we have never had it move even during panic stops.

Terry A. Brewer said:
I have the Ekornes{SP) chair

Terry, we ust got back from looking at them. They had 3 sizes of each style and I'm not sure if the largest (fits a big butt) would stick out into the aisle too far when the slides are closed. I think we're going to wait until the cabinets are finished before deciding.

the circular base is embedded in the carpet.

That's not unique to Ekornes. The one on our boat and the one in our family room (both different brands) have the same poorly designed ring and both are buried in the carpet. We've had the boat in rough seas and the chair didn't move, but have never had the boat in a panic stop to know what would happen  ;D

Betty

Like you, we like to be able to move them to vacuum underneath. We'd heard about Scan Design in downtown Eugene, but haven't yet found them. we were at Brenners in Springfield, next to the Gateway Mall. Limited selection - 4 or 5 styles and 3 sizes of each. A guy in the Flexsteel store tried to find Scan Design in the phone book for us, but failed. Do you happen to know the address?

Thanks

Tom said:
We'd heard about Scan Design in downtown Eugene, but haven't yet found them. we were at Brenners in Springfield, next to the Gateway Mall. Limited selection - 4 or 5 styles and 3 sizes of each. A guy in the Flexsteel store tried to find Scan Design in the phone book for us, but failed. Do you happen to know the address?Thanks

Hi Tom,
Terry found this in a google search.

SCAN Design
856 Willamette St

541 342-5000

? We have a medium size chair.? The large was too big and got moved into the cabin.? Did you look at Countryside Interiors in Junction City?? They had a few? from which to choose if I recall.? They are very near Davis'.

Betty Brewer

Thanks Betty. We haven't yet looked in Countryside Interiors; We were going to check them out when we get to Junction City tomorrow.

Still trying to figure out what we're going to do with the leather sofabed they're taking out of the coach  ???

Tom,

As per the others, don't worry about securing the Eckornes chair. We have two in the Windsor they didn't even move in our accident. We were hit by a dodge one ton diesel pickup when he verved across the centerline while reaching in the back seat. Hit us right behind the drivers side front tire - a direct hit to the propane compartment, I had moved over three or four feet and ended up going down an embankment before I was able to stop. We were force off the road, but the chairs didn't move!

When we replaced our chair and sofa in the HR Imperial, I sold the old ones to a shop that specialized in used RV parts. I don't think I got much over a hundred for them, but it was better than the junk yard. Got smart with the Windsor and order it with no furniture on the passenger side. Shaun's work and the euro chairs were added as soon as we could get to Oregon.

ken

Thanks Ken. Sounds like I shouldn't worry about it.

On the other hand, Ken, if you get a chance look inside a late model Winnebago. I have one of those chairs and it has a clamp attached to the floor that goes over the ring. You can remove the clamp if you want to move the chair. 

James

Any chance of a photo of the clamp James?

On our 3 month trip we never once used the huge leather Flexsteel recliner came in our Alpenlite.  With the weight of the chair and those metal teats that are on the bottom of the base ring, it's a bear to move on the rug. We were thinking about trading it in for one of those Euro recliners but it sounds from this discussion like it has the same bottom, not much lighter and will be about the same PITA to move. Now we don't know what to do.  ???

Bruce,

We have an Ekornes in both the living room at home and another in the MH.? The one in the MH is about 2/3 the weight of the big one in the living room.? BG? Pat nor I have a significant problem moving it to gain access to a cupboard or to clean.? Yes, it is not light but it is not that big a problem.

Bernie, if you read this, Post a picture of your computer table attached to your chair!? VBG

James Godward said:
Bernie, if you read this, Post a picture of your computer table attached to your chair!  VBG

It'll have to wait a couple of days for me to take the picture and send. Today and tomorrow are travel days. For those looking at Ekorness, it is an option that attaches to the side of the chair.

BernieD said:
For those looking at Ekorness, it is an option that attaches to the side of the chair.

Saw that at the stores. Not an option I'd buy, but I can see it would be useful for some folks. They also have a special right now which throws in the smaller circular attached coffee table. I'd pass on that too.

Tom said:
Saw that at the stores. Not an option I'd buy, but I can see it would be useful for some folks. They also have a special right now which throws in the smaller circular attached coffee table. I'd pass on that too.

Tom

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Mine was thrown in free with the chair and I don't bother putting the laptop on the desk any more. The computer table is much more convenient and comfortable.

BernieD said:
Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I wasn't knocking it Bernie, just saying I wouldn't buy it (or take it for free) and I did try it in the store. I usually have a lot of other junk in addition to the PC itself e.g. external hard drive, camera, a second PC, etc and they wouldn't fit on that little table. One reason for adding the corner desk to the coach was to accomodate all my bits and pieces and to hide all the cables which drive Chris nuts.

if I had a desk like yours Ned, Chris would move me out to an office in a tow-behind trailer  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom