Securing washer and dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmjackson76

I have a 2018 Grand Design Solitude 360RL-R that we bought new and had a stackable washer and dryer installed in it. From day one it would shke like crazy when running the washer. I bought a tripod to go under the goosebox hitch and this helped a little bit. Recently we noticed that the drawer to put the washing powder was in was hitting the door frame and chalked that up to a gremlin. Well we had another issue and had to pull the units out. Turns out they were not secured in any kind of way & the units were walking in the closet. Does anyone know the proper way to secure the stackable unit? if that would be done it would have to help a lot. Thanks for any help.

You could take a couple of pvc pipe caps that are sized close to the feet of the stackable and mount them in the front. You could screw them down but if the unit is in a water proof slip, epoxy would be the better choice. Once the two front feet are in the caps, the unit won't be able to wander around. If the caps are too deep and you cannot get enough lift on the unit to get the feet in, cut the caps down enough to slip the feet in.

If the machines are properly leveled in their closet (machine leg adjustment) and then the trailer leveled externally, they shouldn't vibrate badly or walk around, any more than they do in a fixed home. Make sure all 4 feet are in contact with the floor underneath and that the washer/dryer are level once the trailer has been set up and leveled.

Leveling the washer is one of many details that factory workers often overlook (or a step they simply sacrifice when they get a little behind schedule).

Our Splendide washer and dryer have metal brackets that are screwed to their undersides, and the other side of the brackets are attached to the 3/4" wood platforms that the appliances sit on. That's the way they were installed at the factory. It's hard to understand why a manufacture would install stackable units in an RV without securing them. Ours don't walk around at all, but during the mid-speed spin cycle, we do get some vibration when doing a large load.

Kev

Don't newer stack units come with a bracket/retainer of some sort for the dryer, so it cannot accidentally tip?  I'm talking any stack unit, not just in an RV?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Don't newer stack units come with a bracket/retainer of some sort for the dryer, so it cannot accidentally tip?  I'm talking any stack unit, not just in an RV?
Yes there are stacking brackets for that. I think they are an extra if you are going to stack.

When I installed mine in the fifth wheel I screwed a 2x4 to the floor next to the washer and connected the brackets between the washer and dryer.
My current setup the closet is too small for anything to move.

I have the all in one Splendide in mine and it was not secured.  I got the idea from this forum to use a couple of bicycle tire tubes in the closet on each side inflated to hold the unit in place..  It works perfectly.  I wish I could remember who made the suggestion so I could thank them.

The cabinet surrounding my Splendide had a face board across the bottom that acted as a retainer if needed.  It had three long screws that were easily removed if it was necessary to pull the washer/dryer out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom