Seeking advice on methanol alcohol in potable water system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millsk

I winterized our travel trailer two years ago. I recently found my spare bottle of RV antifreeze stored right next to an opened bottle of pink windshield wiper fluid. (Why are they the same color?!)

My memory is fuzzy and I don't remember the steps I took when winterizing.

It's unlikely, but there is a possibility I put the windshield wiper fluid into my water system.

Worse, I realized this after I already started flushing my system so I don't have any of the raw antifreeze.

Is there a way to ensure my water system isn't contaminated?

Dan

I winterized our travel trailer two years ago. I recently found my spare bottle of RV antifreeze stored right next to an opened bottle of pink windshield wiper fluid. (Why are they the same color?!)

My memory is fuzzy and I don't remember the steps I took when winterizing.

It's unlikely, but there is a possibility I put the windshield wiper fluid into my water system.

Worse, I realized this after I already started flushing my system so I don't have any of the raw antifreeze.

Is there a way to ensure my water system isn't contaminated?

Dan
RV antifreeze is usually Pink, Windshield washer fluid Blue or Orange.

Assume contamination and flush the system.. Then flush it with bleach water (the formula is all over the place I think 1 cup per 20 gallons)
On edit it is 1/4 cup per 15 gallons.. Sorry
Then flush with Soda water (Baking soda dissolved in hot water. at least a cup of it. then mix with cold water to fill tank and system. Then flush again with clear water and you should be good.
Do not forget toilets, indoor and outdoor showers and water heater and ice maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then flush it with bleach water (the formula is all over the place I thin 1 cup per 20 gallons) Then flush with Soda water (Baking soda dissolved in hot water. at least a cup of it. then mix with cold water to fill tank and system.
Most sources say to use household bleach 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of fresh water capacity.

You can use 1/2 cup of baking soda mixed with a gallon of water to remove bleach odor from an RV's freshwater tank. Here are some steps you can take:
  1. Fill the tank completely
  2. Pump the solution through the water heater and the rest of the water lines
  3. Let the solution sit in the system for a few days
  4. Drain the entire system and refill with fresh, clean water

Agree with the others - methanol is too poisonous to risk, so flush the RV water system thoroughly. May as well sanitize with bleach while your at it, but at the very least do a fresh water flush.

Most sources say to use household bleach 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of fresh water capacity.

You can use 1/2 cup of baking soda mixed with a gallon of water to remove bleach odor from an RV's freshwater tank. Here are some steps you can take:
  1. Fill the tank completely
  2. Pump the solution through the water heater and the rest of the water lines
  3. Let the solution sit in the system for a few days
  4. Drain the entire system and refill with fresh, clean water
Thank you I edited my post to show the correction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom