Seeking recommendations: Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmorgan

We're hoping to take our RV from Chicago to the northeast and tour the seaside towns in Maine. Anticipating 3-ish weeks (late July through mid-August) if we can swing the camping spots. Any suggestions of sites to see or campgrounds from which we can explore the area?

Also, any route suggestions between Chicago and Maine? We've been to the White Mountains several times, so no need to spend much time there on this trip (although we do love that area). Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
North to South you could try
Seaview Campground and Cottages in Eastport, Maine.
Moorings Campground in Belfast, Maine
Sea-Vu or Sea-Vu West Campground in Wells, Maine

All are centrally located to their particular slice of the Maine seacoast

I recommend Boothbay Harbor area as part of your tour. While there, Check out Stay With Us | Boothbay Craft Brewery & Tap House
and the Sandy Shores RV resort near Waldoboro.

As for routing, We hate running I-80/90 and have found that US 30 makes a nice route from Valparaiso, IN to Mansfield, OH, then I-71 north to I-271 around Cleveland to I-90. (This route can cost you a few hours, unless you hit some nasty traffic tie-ups through Indiana and Ohio on I-90 - Which we almost always did)

Also, again, if you're not in a big hurry, At Buffalo, take US-20 across New York to Schenectady.

Try the Narrows and Narrows Too resorts. The Narrows is just across the bridge onto Mt Desert Island and Narrows Too (newer) is just before the bridge. Excellent Lobster across the road from Too!

Ernie

I recommend Boothbay Harbor area as part of your tour. While there, Check out Stay With Us | Boothbay Craft Brewery & Tap House
and the Sandy Shores RV resort near Waldoboro.

As for routing, We hate running I-80/90 and have found that US 30 makes a nice route from Valparaiso, IN to Mansfield, OH, then I-71 north to I-271 around Cleveland to I-90. (This route can cost you a few hours, unless you hit some nasty traffic tie-ups through Indiana and Ohio on I-90 - Which we almost always did)

Also, again, if you're not in a big hurry, At Buffalo, take US-20 across New York to Schenectady.
or take 86 across New York to 81 then 88 up to Albany
If you take 90 across NY it will cost near $100 in tolls to Albany if you are toad

or take 86 across New York to 81 then 88 up to Albany
If you take 90 across NY it will cost near $100 in tolls to Albany if you are toad
86 is kinda nice until you get east of Allegany State Park, and then some time after that, it gets pretty tedious. And the roads between Elmira and Oneonta were pretty bouncy the last time we went that way.
I hated that run.

IF I'm going to run Interstate through NY, I find it worth the extra cost to run I-90. Especially now that they cleaned up the highway through Buffalo.

No matter where you go, don't try to wing it without reservations. The camping season in the northeast is short and the demand high. It may already be too late for the time frame you're looking at.

Try the Narrows and Narrows Too resorts. The Narrows is just across the bridge onto Mt Desert Island and Narrows Too (newer) is just before the bridge. Excellent Lobster across the road from Too!

Ernie
There is no such thing as bad lobster, they are all excellent.

Actually I should have said why did the lobster cross the road?

86 is kinda nice until you get east of Allegany State Park, and then some time after that, it gets pretty tedious. And the roads between Elmira and Oneonta were pretty bouncy the last time we went that way.
I hated that run.

IF I'm going to run Interstate through NY, I find it worth the extra cost to run I-90. Especially now that they cleaned up the highway through Buffalo.

I90 is a decent road but I hate the heavy truck traffic that runs it, especially Buffalo to Syracuse; eastern side is not as bad.
Maine is beautiful. We still have Acadia NP on our list to cross off. Hopefully later this summer/fall. I have a Son on the Cape and one in Southern Maine and a Sister near Boothbay, in the small community od Bayville. We never make reservations more than a few days ahead and have not had an issue. May be different this summer?

LarsMac:
“And the roads between Elmira and Oneonta were pretty bouncy the last time we went that way. “
When was the last time? We’re heading that way soon and are debating 86 vs 90.
TomS:
Last time we were in Maine (2016) my goal was to make self sick of lobster. I failed spectacularly.
Heading back this summer/fall with same goal... (expecting same result 😋 )

LarsMac:
“And the roads between Elmira and Oneonta were pretty bouncy the last time we went that way. “
TomS:
Last time we were in Maine (2016) my goal was to make self sick of lobster. I failed spectacularly.
There is nothing like North Atlantic lobster or Maine lobster. I’ve had the ones from Fl but they don’t compare at all.

LarsMac:
It has been several years. 2013, I think. The run through Western NY is beautiful, but then the Eastern section is just tedious. And unless they have rebuilt the road base, I doubt that the drive is less bumpety. It's probably only an hour more a drive, but it seems longer.

As others have said, I-90 (New York State Throughway) is busy in some sections, and not a cheap run with an RV. It's sole purpose in life is to get across the state quickly.
There are some nice stops and RV parks along the east end between Utica and Schenectady, though.

TomS:

We may be going to Maine in July if I can get off work. We will take the 86 route and I will let you know how the road is. I think the last trip was in 2018 and there was a rough stretch on 88 but 86 is pretty good.

We absolutely loved Narrows Too...watching the car headlights snake down off of Cadillac Mountain after dark next to our campfire was unforgettable. You *pay* for that experience in a shoreline site, but worth it to us.

The "quiet" side of MDI was the highlight for us...Bass Harbor and its lighthouse trails, Southwest Harbor, etc.

On our way up the coast, Wolfe's Neck Farm was a great stay, and I'll agree with other posters that Boothbay Harbor is pretty amazing too.

Happy planning and travels! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom