Seeking route advice: Montrose, CO to Eastern Utah via La Sal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telemark46

Reading other discussions, it seemed that Hwy 90/46 drew some comparisons to the Ouray to Durango drive, so more info would be appreciated. We will be heading from Montrose to the area of Canyonlands South unit ca. 4/26 or 4/27 in a half-ton pickup (baby diesel) with a 24.5' (overall) trailer. We have talked ourselves out of taking the trailer up from Durango to Ouray and Montrose, although reading other posts, I'm sure it wouldn't be a terrible experience. We'll daytrip from Montrose to Durango, perhaps making a loop via Dolores. After a few days in SE Utah, we will be looking for someplace to camp near Navajo Bridge, hoping for good looks at the Condors.

Best viewing for condors in that area is about 28 miles west of Navajo Bridge at the Vermillion Cliffs release area. I've been there several times and seen condors every time. Not always at Navajo Bridge, though.
It's a couple of miles north of 89A a dirt road(House Rock Rd, I believe). Lots of places to disperse camp in that area. It shows up on Google Maps.

We have driven through the Paradox Valley a couple of times although not towing. However, Steve reckons that the drive is fine with one climb towards the La Sals but not really that bad. It's also a fairly quiet road too.

Google maps let's you change to cycling for lots of routes and this shows elevation changes which might help. Moab is 4016 and Naturita about 5000. You gradually go up to 7720 feet at the Mountain. It is only 80 miles for that section.

You can also go into each states dot and see if roads are unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles if worried.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-204120_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-204120_Maps.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 4
Best viewing for condors in that area is about 28 miles west of Navajo Bridge at the Vermillion Cliffs release area. I've been there several times and seen condors every time. Not always at Navajo Bridge, though.
It's a couple of miles north of 89A a dirt road(House Rock Rd, I believe). Lots of places to disperse camp in that area. It shows up on Google Maps.

That is very helpful. We would prefer an RV park, but I don't see any that will be convenient for our itinerary, so we might boondoggle where you suggest (some folks call it boondocking).

We have driven through the Paradox Valley a couple of times although not towing. However, Steve reckons that the drive is fine with one climb towards the La Sals but not really that bad. It's also a fairly quiet road too.

Google maps let's you change to cycling for lots of routes and this shows elevation changes which might help. Moab is 4016 and Naturita about 5000. You gradually go up to 7720 feet at the Mountain. It is only 80 miles for that section.

You can also go into each states dot and see if roads are unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles if worried.
Thanks. That cycling map trick is nice. We have settled on Montrose to Monticello for that day, so we have a choice of going 141 via Dove Creek or 90/46 via Paradox Valley and La Sal. The latter sounds more scenic and is a little longer. It's a short enough day that the extra time wouldn't matter. Any thoughts on that choice would be welcome.

You need to hit preview to see the elevation.

Both routes are nice. Steve says if going to Monticello but not Moab, then the Paradox route is probably more scenic as you will get nice views in the valley and the needles area on road to Monticello.
Note there will be a gradual climb back up to Monticello.

The 141 looks a bit steeper but still doable, see screenshot.

There are a few nice campgrounds at Monticello up in the hills. If you end up going further south, we like this RV park in Blanding:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-001422_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210421-001422_Maps.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 3
Here are a couple of photos of the Paradox Valley going towards Colorado to give you an idea of road.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1618961470007.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618961470007.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 6
  • FB_IMG_1618961465313.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618961465313.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 6
That is very helpful. We would prefer an RV park, but I don't see any that will be convenient for our itinerary, so we might boondoggle where you suggest (some folks call it boondocking).
I thought a boondoggle was some sort of financial thing. :cool:

The Forest Service refers to it as dispersed camping. I got used to the term, since I've worked in FS campgrounds for the last 6 years.
There is a campground at Lee's Ferry, and another at Jacob's Lake. It's an easy(and scenic)drive from either of those to the viewing area if you have a toad.
If you have a Jeep, like I do, House Rock Road continues north into the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. Very scenic, and there's a few trailheads for some nice hikes. Carry lots of water.

Oh, and even if you don't stay at Lee's Ferry, take the road through the park down to the river. Some of the original buildings from when it was an actual ferry site still survive. You can walk though them and just imagine the fortitude of the original settlers to carve out an existence in this lonely location. You can also watch rafters load for the trip down the Colorado through the Canyon.

We drove the Paradox Valley route today and found it fascinating, even with clouds and brutal winds. It was fairly slow driving due to poor roads and some twisty sections. Hwy 145 from Hwy 62 (Near Placerville) to the Norwood Grade was really beautiful. I wish I had read up on Paradox Valley before the drive. After a few days exploring around Monticello, we will be off to find the Condors. Much thanks to those who offered their knowledge.

From the house, head north on House Rock Valley Road (Bureau of Land Management Road 1065). To the east are the namesakes of Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, and the cliffs’ deep red contrasts with the green of piñon pines and junipers on the valley’s floor. After 2.7 miles, you’ll reach a site for observing endangered California condors, which are released from atop the Vermilion Cliffs every September.

A snippet from this web page.

You can easily drive to that point as per the above directions (2.7 miles from main road) and see the Condors. There is a release area high up and we saw the condors sitting on top of it when we were there. Photo below shows the parking area. There is a shaded bench and a set of binoculars but obviously having your own or a good telephoto lens would be better.

Reading other discussions, it seemed that Hwy 90/46 drew some comparisons to the Ouray to Durango drive, so more info would be appreciated. We will be heading from Montrose to the area of Canyonlands South unit ca. 4/26 or 4/27 in a half-ton pickup (baby diesel) with a 24.5' (overall) trailer. We have talked ourselves out of taking the trailer up from Durango to Ouray and Montrose, although reading other posts, I'm sure it wouldn't be a terrible experience. We'll daytrip from Montrose to Durango, perhaps making a loop via Dolores. After a few days in SE Utah, we will be looking for someplace to camp near Navajo Bridge, hoping for good looks at the Condors.
Navajo Bridge is a great place to look for Condors. Here are a bunch of my Condor photos:

Navajo Bridge is a great place to look for Condors. Here are a bunch of my Condor photos:

Great photos. We saw Condors at the release site, but too distant to enjoy much. At Navajo Bridge, they were sometimes flying 10' over our heads or perched 15' below us. It was a once in a lifetime experience, at least until our next Southwest trip.

Attachments

• bDS5_6428usnrc.jpg
    bDS5_6428usnrc.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Telemark. During the 2004 to 2010 they flew and perched on a daily basis on the south rim. It was normal to see at least 6 Condors a day. May and June were the best months for viewing them since the weather was very nice at that time of year before the monsoons started in July. One of my photos has 13 Condors in one shot. There was a day when I counted 25 in the air at the same time but my telephoto lens would not work for the shot. Then in 2010 some authority had the leaky water pipe repaired and slowly the Condors stopped hanging around. I was depressed when I discovered that the pipe was repaired but in the long run it is best for the Condors. They were getting a little too afraid of humans.

Thanks Telemark. During the 2004 to 2010 they flew and perched on a daily basis on the south rim. It was normal to see at least 6 Condors a day. May and June were the best months for viewing them since the weather was very nice at that time of year before the monsoons started in July. One of my photos has 13 Condors in one shot. There was a day when I counted 25 in the air at the same time but my telephoto lens would not work for the shot. Then in 2010 some authority had the leaky water pipe repaired and slowly the Condors stopped hanging around. I was depressed when I discovered that the pipe was repaired but in the long run it is best for the Condors. They were getting a little too afraid of humans.
Interesting story. The AZ/UT flock has doubled since then. (I think you meant they were getting too UNafraid of humans.)

Back
Top Bottom