Select Forums to ignore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

i have been on another group using Xenforo for over a year. I have the ability to select forums to unwatch so that when a new post to that forum is made it doesn't show up on my New Post tab. Here, I see the ability to unwatch threads but not entire forums, i.e. I am not interested in following for sale, motorhomes, on the airwaves, etc. What am I missing?

i have been on another group using Xenforo for over a year. I have the ability to select forums to unwatch so that when a new post to that forum is made it doesn't show up on my New Post tab. Here, I see the ability to unwatch threads but not entire forums, i.e. I am not interested in following for sale, motorhomes, on the airwaves, etc. What am I missing?
Bernie,

Click on the name of a forum, you should see a Watch button, which is a forum watch button. After clicking, the button then changes to an Unwatch button, which is a forum unwatch button.

I don't use either function (have to watch them all).

I wouldn't expect you to unwatch anything Tom<bg>. However it is a very clumsy process; 4 clicks and a lot of scrolling.

I wouldn't expect you to unwatch anything Tom<bg>. However it is a very clumsy process; 4 clicks and a lot of scrolling.
This is reminiscent of the days you were "stuck" on VA :)

Seriously, I'm looking for a simple solution. Any way you can find out which rev of Xenforo is being used by the other forum? Also, any chance you can grab & post a screenshot of the 'unwatch threads' button, checkbox, or whatever?

Thanks.

Either I'm doing something wrong with that "UNWATCH" button, or it isn't working. I've tried the 4 click procedure in several fora but they still show me the "New" and highlighting, even after the second attempt.

The "4 clicks" I'm doing are click on WATCH, click OK, click UNWATCH, click OK. That's after clicking to get into the forum in the first place.

Either I'm doing something wrong with that "UNWATCH" button, or it isn't working. I've tried the 4 click procedure in several fora but they still show me the "New" and highlighting, even after the second attempt.

The "4 clicks" I'm doing are click on WATCH, click OK, click UNWATCH, click OK. That's after clicking to get into the forum in the first place.
Aye Larry, Bernie is seeing the same thing. I need to create a regular member account to confirm it, then bump it to tech support. FWIW I researched it in the Xenforo support forum, but no clear answer.

Don't forums or threads show up in "What's New" whether they are on the Watch list or not? I thought the only criteria for that is being new. Ergo, Watch doesn't put them there and Unwatch doesn't remove them.

I guess I'm asking Bernie of it's really watch/unwatch that he is using on that other Xenforo group to reduce his What's New listing.

Gary, I'm seeing this problem AFTER marking the forum All Read then doing the UNWATCH (more clicks, of course), seeing the forum unhighlighted, then next day seeing "New" and highlighting again. That's why I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Or perhaps I completely misunderstood what the "WATCH" thing is about.

Certainly in the old forum software (in your profile) you could select which forums would show new stuff and which were just there, so that you only saw "New" and highlighting on the forums you care about.

Don't forums or threads show up in "What's New" whether they are on the Watch list or not? I thought the only criteria for that is being new. Ergo, Watch doesn't put them there and Unwatch doesn't remove them.

I guess I'm asking Bernie of it's really watch/unwatch that he is using on that other Xenforo group to reduce his What's New listing.
Bernie was talking about what shows on his New Posts screen; Different from What's New. From the XF support forum ...

What's the difference between "New posts" and "What's new".
- "New posts" are posts I haven't read
- "What's new" lists recently added posts.

Nothing in this message (the one you're reading) explains why it takes 4 clicks to unwatch a thread. Nor does it explain why unread posts from unwatched threads are showing when a member clicks New Posts.

Bernie was talking about what shows on his New Posts screen; Different from What's New.
OK, I missed that distinction. However, I think the same logic applies. Neither one says "Watch" is a criteria. New is new whether I'm watching or not. Now if I could HIDE a forum or topic, I would not expect to see it anywhere.

OK, I missed that distinction. However, I think the same logic applies. Neither one says "Watch" is a criteria. New is new whether I'm watching or not. Now if I could HIDE a forum or topic, I would not expect to see it anywhere.
The logic is something you might want to debate on the Xenforo support forum.

Meanwhile, I have a POM account set up so I can replicate what Bernie and Larry are reporting. Then I'll bump it.

OK, after reading more here, and thinking about what the WATCH prompt actually says, I had the mistaken impression that WATCH had to do with what I see on the main forum list page. But apparently it is only checking whether to send you a notification when something new appears, which is not what I was hoping to see.

I really want to see the same thing we had in the old forum software that let you set in your profile which forums showed NEW and were highlighted on the main page so that I'd know which forum(s) I wanted to look at. I thought that was what Bernie was talking about, too. This is nothing to do with the New Posts box on the right, nor with a New Posts button, just a quick glance showing ONLY the forums I want to keep track of -- Like Bernie "I am not interested in following for sale" and a number of other forums, such as Winnebago, Pets, etc.

OK, after reading more here, and thinking about what the WATCH prompt actually says, I had the mistaken impression that WATCH had to do with what I see on the main forum list page. But apparently it is only checking whether to send you a notification when something new appears, which is not what I was hoping to see.

I really want to see the same thing we had in the old forum software that let you set in your profile which forums showed NEW and were highlighted on the main page so that I'd know which forum(s) I wanted to look at. I thought that was what Bernie was talking about, too. This is nothing to do with the New Posts box on the right, nor with a New Posts button, just a quick glance showing ONLY the forums I want to keep track of -- Like Bernie "I am not interested in following for sale" and a number of other forums, such as Winnebago, Pets, etc.
Good catch Larry. The Watch button only tells the software which forums you want notifications on.

The other thing I haven't paid attention to is the fact that there's a Watched Forums button.

Attachments

• SS-Watch Threads.jpg
    SS-Watch Threads.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
Bernie, Larry et al, curiosity (and fading memory) made me look at our old forum software. Each message board had a Notify button, which told the software you wanted notification when new messages were posted on that board; This is the equivalent of the Watch function here in this software. Separately, the old software had options in your forum profile to Ignore Boards, which is the feature several of you are looking for here.

What I now find confusing is that Bernie has told me he uses the Watch/Unwatch button on another forum using this Xenforo software to perform the equivalent of the old Ignore Boards function. That's certainly not what they're intended to do, but maybe someone has modded their forum.

Meanwhile, now that I understand what feature is "missing", I can correctly search for it.

Bernie, Larry et al, curiosity (and fading memory) made me look at our old forum software. Each message board had a Notify button, which told the software you wanted notification when new messages were posted on that board; This is the equivalent of the Watch function here in this software. Separately, the old software had options in your forum to Ignore Boards, which is the feature several of you are looking for here.

What I now find confusing is that Bernie has told me he uses the Watch/Unwatch button on another forum using this Xenforo software to perform the equivalent of the old Ignore Boards function. That's certainly not what they're intended to do, but maybe someone has modded their forum.

Meanwhile, now that I understand what feature is "missing", I can correctly search for it.
A quick search showed that there's a 3rd party software add-on that does the same as the prior Ignore Boards function. This might be what's installed on the other forum that Bernie participates in (?). Just an FYI, Tech Support and Forum Management are letting this place settle down before installing any software add-ons.

This could work as a temporary fix...

Go to the main board you want to ignore. Click filters, in "Started by" I'm wondering if you can put your own user name, click filter to apply and that might work? We could test it first though...

I'm off to bed so if you want to try it on a board let us know which, you could add me as the "Started by", then @Tom could add a post to the board you have decided on to see what happens?

If it works then try your user name, if it doesn't accept that, add someone whose posts you don't mind seeing, or a member not posting often.....

I have not tried it due to time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-001331_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-001331_Chrome.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back