Selecting a tow bar and braking system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GChapman

I'm new to the RV world. I recently purchased a class C motorhome.  We would like to tow our Honda CRV. Could somebody please recommend a tow bar and braking system to us.  Thanks.

You will probably get many different opinions so might as well start with mine. I use a Blue Ox Alladin tow bar and a US Gear Unified tow brake with a 2003 Saturn L-300 sedan. This the third car I have used the tow bar on and am very happy with this setup. If your CRV weighs more then 4,000 Lbs. I would suggest you get a 10,000 Lb. Rated tow bar since you could get close to the max rating for the Alladin (5,000 Lbs.)

Blue Ox and Roadmaster both make good tow bars and a number of folks here use one or the other. Both are sold at Camping World. The easiest route for adding brakes is something like the Brake Buddy, but I had a lot of problems with the BrakePro sold at Camping World. (Brake Buddy and BrakePro are different products made by different companies and work on different principles.) Many folks use the Brake Buddy and are happy with it.

We use Blue Ox for both our tow bar (Aladdin) and toad brake (Apollo).  We have been very pleased with the after market service from Blue Ox on both products.  You can get more information the Blue Ox product line at the manufacturers web site, http://www.aemfg.com.

The Apollo works like the Brake Buddy and can be installed easily in any vehicle.  It can be transferred to a different vehicle as well, as it does not alter either vehicles brake system.  That was the big advantage for us, others have a different opinion :)

We use the Roadmaster Falcon towbar and the Brake Buddy for braking.  There are several choices out there some good and some not so good.  We have been very satisfiesd with our setup.

GChapman:

We tow our 2002 CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. (If I were buying today I would get the All Terrain model). Great tow bar and great support from Roadmaster.

Our toad brake system is a proportional one from M&G that works of our DP's air brake system. When we purchased the system we were towing with a Pace Arrow with hydraulic brakes and installed the optional compressor and air tank on the frame of the m/h. Details are here: http://www.m-gengineering.com/BrakeSystem.html .

I am towing a Lumina APV starting about Thursday (It's going in to the shop on Wed to be made towable)

The mods are as follows

Installation of a blue-ox tow bar (the better of the two that "Stow" on the motor home, not the towed)

Instalation of unified gear brake controller

Instalation of Remco Axel Lock so that when towed it is a "Free wheeling" trailer, not an automobile

Instalation of "Tow lights" and other electrical items (allowing the MH to charge the towed battery)

Also some work on the Motor home but that amounts mostly to the electrical connections for the brakes and battery

welcome to the RV world!  To answer your braking question, i'll point you towards a handy guide I use sometimes. Check out this braking link and perhaps it will help you feel more comfortable with all the terminology, etc. take care

jerryarlyne said:
You will probably get many different opinions so might as well start with mine. I use a Blue Ox Alladin tow bar and a US Gear Unified tow brake with a 2003 Saturn L-300 sedan. This the third car I have used the tow bar on and am very happy with this setup. If your CRV weighs more then 4,000 Lbs. I would suggest you get a 10,000 Lb. Rated tow bar since you could get close to the max rating for the Alladin (5,000 Lbs.)

I'd give you my 1st choice (I use my 2nd choice) but alas. Jerry beat me to it

The one I use is a Blue Ox Adventa II  (I see they don't have it any more but the LX would be better than what I have)

Very pleased with it and with Blue Ox service should Ihave a problem (Even if it was very clearly NOT their fault)

I use the US-Gear brake system and cosider it the  best there is.

Surge brakes are not as good as active brakes as a general rule and the US-Gear is the best of the active brake systems.

Back
Top Bottom