Selling a Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandespiller

Sadly, we have come to the conclusion that we must sell our motorhome.  Since we have never sold one directly (only traded them in) we have no idea where to advertise the coach.

Does anyone on the Forum have any experience with this?  If so, where would you recommend we advertise.  Do you have any tips on selling a coach?

Thanks

John Spiller

Sorry to hear that, John.  There are some web sites that take RV listings, but I can't point you to any.  I'm sure a Google search would turn up some references.  Of course, you can list on our For Sale board, but I'm sure you want greater exposure.

If you're really brave, you could even list it on eBay.

Take some good pics and list it on ebay. I bought mine there.

Woody

tqi3n

Sorry to hear you are hanging up the keys...

The short answer is to advertise in as many places as possible. RVs have to come to the attention of the right person to sell, so the idea is to get a large audience.  Some of the big web sites are rvtrader.com and rvcllassified.com.  You can also advertise it right here, in the private for sale section.

I don't know anybody who has had good luck with consignment sales, but I suppose some must sell that way.  Brokers, though, may be an assist. One such is motorhomebrokers.com. They will advertise the rig thru rvclassified.net and handle some of the initial inquiry traffic for you. I don't have any experience with them as a seller, though.

What year, make and model is it?

We sold one on RV Clearinghouse    Cost  $.0000  10days and it was gone.

jandespiller said:
Sadly, we have come to the conclusion that we must sell our motorhome.  Since we have never sold one directly (only traded them in) we have no idea where to advertise the coach.

Does anyone on the Forum have any experience with this?  If so, where would you recommend we advertise.  Do you have any tips on selling a coach?

Thanks

John Spiller

We used themotorhomebrokers.com to sell our Serengeti. Nice honest people and they screen the potential buyers from the lookers.  Took us a year to sell the Serengeti though, even though it was advertised thoroughly. But then it didn't have any slide outs. Give Harlan Ward a call, he is honest.

Regards,
Jack and Liz

here's a few I've been looking at -
rvsearch.com
motorhomesonsale.com
motorhomesuse.com
rvtrader.com

that should help as you try and price your rig, and maybe post with one of them.
buyers don't seem to be put off with the idea of travelling to buy what they really want.
good luck

My experience is that those who price their rigs realistically sell .  Check all sources and price it if you really want to sell it.  Don't expect to get Dealer List as an owner.  You don't have the big lot and ad budget.  Try E-Bay with an honest low reserve.  You can sell it or own it forever.  You decide by the marketing and pricing.
Joe

John,

I advertised my 97 class C on rvtrader.com, rvclassified.com and a local "picture" advertisement.  The local ad  generated more interest than the internet ads and sold the rv. 

Scott

To all who were kind enough to reply, thank you. We will be looking at all your ideas.  Again, thanks for your input.

John Siller

jandespiller said:

Thanks

John Spiller

Sorry John,

I sold my previous one locally via newpaper. At that time the Los Angeles Times allow you to list in their RV For Sale free for a pretty long period of time. Also the Orange County Register has an RV section.

I got several  hits from these two adds and ended up selling it to a guy close by.

Also up on Valley View just north of Ball Rd. there is High School  where they have a big used auto for sale on weekends and I see RV in there all the time.

Good luck, Bob

Thanks Bob.  We once bought a coach using an ad in the Times although at that time it wasn't free. 

I know exactly where you are talking about.  It is full of cars every weekend.  Don't know if they sell anything or not.  It's on the parking lot at Cypress High School.

This is really a bittersweet chore.

John Spiller

John, sorry to hear you must sell... I happen to be in the buying market at the moment.  Whaddya got and where are you located?  ;) 

With that in mind, you can post for free in forums like this... most have a classifieds or for sale section.  Craigslist.com is also free to advertise, and there's probably a version for your area of the US.  RVTraderonline.com is another online classifieds listing that I check often, I don't think it was mentioned yet.  The realistic pricing part is the key.  On all of the above listed websites, I always see rigs priced outrageously... and they go nowhere.  Same with eBay ads that don't meet the reserve (minimum selling) price of the seller, although those might sell "under the table" to the highest bidder... you never really know.  Good luck selling, whichever route you choose!

I don't know if you got an answer or not, but it is a 1997 Monaco Signature with all the bells and whistles, plus custom walnut cabinetery, corian steps, and on and on.

John Spiller

jandespiller said:
I don't know if you got an answer or not, but it is a 1997 Monaco Signature with all the bells and whistles, plus custom walnut cabinetery, corian steps, and on and on.

Beyond my reach, without a doubt.  I won't waste your time asking for more info.  :-\  Once again, good luck selling... helpful tips in this thread.

jandespiller said:

John Spiller

Do you still have this for sale if so e-mail meand send pics

I have sold 2 on Craigslist.  It cost me $0 while I paid $90 to advertise on RVT.com with no results and the same price.

Ron

I will add my .02 since I just went through the process of hunting high and low until I found the Monaco that was right for me. In no particular order I offer the following:

1. You must arrive at a realistic price for what the market will bear if you have any hope of moving it. As a buyer I had a set budget and knew I wanted a Monaco so I went out to the internet and looked at EVERY diesel pusher in my price range and came up with a year range of 96-98 for a Monaco. I than priced out EVERY and I mean EVERY 96-98 Monaco I could fine on the internet that was for sale both past and present using a six month window. This gave me a very good idea of what the market was bearing in terms of price vs. quality, it got to the point that I could read down through the ad discreption and come pretty close to the asking price before I knew it. Do that in reverse and you should arrive at the fair market value for your Monaco.

2. As a private seller people are more likely to come your way than a dealer as most (me anyway) hate to deal with used car salemen. They will also expect a lower asking price than one might find on a used RV lot.

3. Cleanliness, cannot overstate this enough. Nobody wants to look at a high end coach that is dirty or stinks because it will leave the potential buyer thinking that the current owner doesn't take care of his coach. If it shows well, is clean both inside and outside (don't forget the underside) it will distract the buyer from any minor flaws it might have. Soap and water, plug in fraglance and carpet fresh are cheap.

4. Stage your coach just as you would stage a home you are trying to sell. It does make a difference.

5. All that stuff you have in your coach, get it out of the coach so the buyer can see what he is buying (assuming your not full timing in it).

6. Let the buyer know he is getting something extra for his efforts, let go the dishes, pots and pans, outside chairs, carpet, cleaning stuff, brooms, brushes etc. That is money the buyer will not have to spend at Walmart on day one (I had about $2500 worth of stuff come with my coach) and it's just stuff.

7. Be honest about representation when it comes to the condition of the coach, follow up on all contacts and have plenty of pictures to email out. Yes there will be a lot of tire kickers but that one message you forgot to reply back to might have been the right buyer.

Good luck, a 1997 Monaco Signature is still a very desirable coach if priced right and it's all about marketing your product to a target audience.

Dennis 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom