Selling through a dealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loddy

Hi Guys and Gals

we are trying to sell our RV as we are returning to the UK after a very enjoyable 12 month tour of the States. Does anyone know of a dealer in Florida who would sell on our behalf and take a cut, I think it's called consignment.

Regards Loddy  ;)

We've checked out several dealers who do this in the Ocala area.  I bet they are everywhere.  Just so you are prepared for how it works, they will determine a wholesale price (less any obvious problems, etc.) and then you will sign a form authorizing them to sell the rig and give you that amount.  They will attempt to sell it for retail and pocket the difference for their efforts.  Depending on the unit this could be many thousands of dollars, but of course, it will be sold.  You will not know what it sold for.

In my area there are two ways to do it, first is consignment and second is wholsale sale.  If you sell it via consignment you are willing to wait for your money and you agree in advance what the lowest preauthorized price will be.  Any lower offers will either be ignored (For the first 90 days or so) or you will be asked via email or phone if you will accept it.  The fee for this varries but generally it is between 10 and 20 percent of the actual selling price plus any repairs that need to be done to facilitate the sale.  The second method is wholsale sale of the unit, where you take it somewhere and they give you the lowest number they can dream up and you sign over title so that they can sell it for high retail.  Things might work differently in Florida but that's basically how it works here in California.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks for your replies, I think we need to hawk it around and see what the best offer is

Loddy

Loddy,

Do you know about how much you're going to ask for the whole set up.  My brother is looking and might be interested.

Thanks

Just so you are prepared for how it works, they will determine a wholesale price (less any obvious problems, etc.) and then you will sign a form authorizing them to sell the rig and give you that amount.  They will attempt to sell it for retail and pocket the difference for their efforts.  Depending on the unit this could be many thousands of dollars, but of course, it will be sold.  You will not know what it sold for.

I haven't come across that type of sale contract before - not sure if it is the usual way of consignment or not. The only one I had any contact with was not. The buyer had stated a selling price and the dealer took my counter offer to the seller (who declined it, by the way). The seller had total control of the sale price and would have known exactly what it sold for. Plus, the dealer could do no repairs unless either the buyer or seller agreed to pay for it.

Roadhappy said:
Loddy,

Do you know about how much you're going to ask for the whole set up.  My brother is looking and might be interested.

Thanks

Hello roadhappy
we are obviously trying to get a good price, but a sum of  $42,000.00 would I think be fair. if you need details message me or look at ebay 300789605912 it's run out but the details and photos are still there

Loddy 

Thanks for getting back with me Loddy.  I will let my brother know and if he interested, i will get in touch with you.

Thanks again,
Robin

Back
Top Bottom