Serial Numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crpanddsp

Can anyone tell me if there are serial numbers "stamped" on a 5th wheel and if so, where?  Friends of ours purchased a lake lot that had an old 5th wheel camper on it (abandoned - probably early to mid-70s model).  The manufacturer tag (?) to the left of the door is so worn, if there is a serial number on it, you can't make it out.  They are having trouble getting a title to it because they don't have the serial number.  The model is the President by American Traveler.  I think that company has gone out of business.  We were told that it may be stamped on the axle but we looked there and couldn't find it.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

It should be stamped on the frame in a couple of places  Where I know not.  I'd ask a State trooper that specializes in stolen vehicles.

Most states have a procedure to handle missing or illegible serials/VINs on old trailers, which often had only a mylar sticker or other tag that typically wears away.

A stamped serial (if there is one in a 70's vintage trailer) will most likely be on the frame arms that extend forward to support the king pin.  Or sometimes on the vertical supports for that frame which can often be seen from the inside of the front storage area.  It is unlikely to be on the axle, which is a standard subassembly purchased from a vendor (e.g. Dexter axle) and easily swapped on a trailer. However, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

The Vehicle Identification number can be stamped most anywhere.  It should  be on a sticker somewhere within the vehicle (Often in a cabnet, Mine is overhead as I type) on a trailer it is often stamped in the frame NEAR the hitch,  NOTE OFTEN does not mean always.  They can be put anywhere

And on older trailers... There may not be any.

The best way would be, if you know the make and model year, would be to E-mail the manufacturer and ask them where they put the PUBLIC vin on that model.

Alas, that only works if the manufacturer still exists.

Unfortunately the American Traveler Company, according to NADA last made a trailer in 89.

Well, NADA or NATB may have records

Or you can try Google.. I've had to track down a product or two and found GOOGLE led me to the name of the company who bought up an older company and took it over, dropping the original name,  and then from there I found the company that bought them and finally who holds the records today.

But I'd have to say I got lucky

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom