Series 6300 converter no good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GregL

I have a 1990 Coachman camper with Series 6300 Model 6325 converter that I believe needs to be replaced / upgraded. The opening is 12.75 wide and 11.25 high. Is there a replacement for this unit?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210614_083237.jpg
    20210614_083237.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 13
Hi Greg, welcome to The RV Forum!

There are a couple of different ways you could go. The simplest would be to install one of the Best Converter upgrade kits. The 6300 wasn't that good to begin with, a newer converter will give you cleaner voltage and won't boil your battery dry if the trailer is plugged in for long periods. The Charge Wizard in the Progressive Dynamics converters is worth the slightly higher price compared to the generic kits, IMO.

Given the limited number of circuits in your camper, you should be fine with a 35 amp or 45 amp converter. No need to go larger.

Progressive Dynamics 4600 series (The smallest is I think 4645) is designed as a replacement for the "GUTS" of older converters. You do need to add a jumper or connect blue and red wires together (forget which)

The difference is where the Magnetek 6300 is on the bottom of the list as far as converters go. the PD wizard is the top of the list.

The new Progressive 4600 kit will come with a new "can" with the converter in it. It will also come with a new fuse panel with about twelve positions for 12v fuses and will perfectly install where your original fuse panel is located. The instructions cover many different converter replacement scenarios but simply read the applicable paragraphs and ignore the sections for replacement of other converter types. You may wind up with one or two spare parts, most notably a plastic strip about 6 inches long with two studs on it. This is used when replacing WFCO converters and otherwise is discarded.

The large cable connector terminals on the new fuse panel are all on the top front side, so the wires will attach in different places, but the new fuse panel is well marked. One warning is on the large cable attachments, use a 7/16 open end wrench to hold the square block of the connector and provide a force opposite but equal to what you are applying to the set screw, in order to prevent the terminals from breaking the printed circuit panel.

The installation of the fuse panel will give you the flashing LED and button (and associated data cable) that controls the converter by allowing you to force the converter to different charge stages rather than waiting for it to cycle to them. This is especially useful when you are using a generator to operate the 120v system and need to charge the batteries quickly, as you can force the charger into bulk mode even if it wants to be in a lower mode.

I have installed two of these in Parallax panels and it only requires a little time and care to attention to do a good job, it is not difficult.

Attached pic is of my Parallax panel installation. These are nice steel housings and well made, and I much prefer them to the plastic panels made nowdays. The converter is not visible as it is behind the lower part. I cannot find a pic of the panel with the front removed.

Charles

Attachments

• Parallax panel open.jpg
    Parallax panel open.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 4
Progressive Dynamics 4600 series (The smallest is I think 4645) is designed as a replacement for the "GUTS" of older converters,. You do need to add a jumper or connect blue and red wires together (forget which)
The difference is where the Magnetek 6300 is on the bottom of the list as far as converters go. the PD wizard is the top of the list. cookie clicker
Have the same opinion as you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom