Servicing RV Rubber Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hilltopper

Have a Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision, 2000 model (50th. Anniversary Edition). Had tons of problems with the unit from Day One (as a new unit). It had a few miles on it (couple of hundred) at time of purchase but I am of the opinion it had been used as a demo-display unit, perhaps at RV shows.
I won't go into detail regarding all the defects and defective equipment, but I will note for all to see that we received little relief from the dealership - and absolutely none from the Fleetwood Corporate people.
    I ended up correcting many of the problems myself, like (example) dismantling every cabinet drawer in the rig and assemblyiing with GLUE (none of the drawers had any (factory) glue and all had been assembled using wire staples with many missing their anchor points. The one remaining BIG problem is with the rubber roof; it  has been a huge problem, also from Day One.
    The rig was built in February of 2000; we purchased in August of that year. It was streaking the rig then and the problem has grown worse over the years - inspite of washings and sealings. After every rain, or heavy dew, I have to wash the windshield and go around the rig removing heavy chalking stains. Recently heard pf an RV-er who  applied a rubber roof paint. Would appreciate feedback regarding solutions to this problem. Thanks  from the Hilltopper Old Hobo :-\

I have a 93 Pace with the white rubber roof also. Only way to solve the problem of chalking is to install the small gutters around the perimeter of the roof, which will channel the water wherever you want it to run off. I think Camping World sells them. Sorry to hear of the problems you have had with the drawers, mine are pretty solid. I've even had them slide out while traveling without doing any damage to them. NOW, the door latches are a different story.

Woody

Thanks for the quick comeback, Woody. I have heard of the gutter product; in fact, I have a sample somewhere around the rig that came from a far away place (not CW) - it got laid aside because it was (quite) costly. That product was designed to fit into the existing channel.
  Regarding drawer durability; I had a kitchen drawer slide out also, on about the first trip on the road - a couple hundred miles away from the selling dealership, (naturally). That drawer disintegrated; that started the assessment of drawer mounting and construction - and the recon-struction project. (By the way, the PA was not our 1st rig; it was the 4th. (the 2nd. Fleetwood).
  Just one of the many other problems that showed up; the microwave would not pop corn (and my shadow just loves her popcorn). The dealership offered to pull the unit and send it to a Sharp authoirized repair center (in Knoxville, TN). The day I delivered the rig to the dealer (a 40 plus mi. trip), I was informed the repair shop no longer serviced Sharp units. The dealer offered no futher relief beyond suggesting I deal directly with the Sharp corporation. My wife was steamed about that - she was of the opinion the dealer should have taken a micro out of another Pace Arrow on the lot - and they (the dealership) do the dealing with Sharp. Last word - the original micro is still in the rig; Mrs. A now buys kettle corn wherever it can be found (currently 20 miles away). Thanks again and happy trails to you.  Lloyd (the old hobo)

Wife likes to overload some drawers... I very quickly learned to re-assemble them and when I get truly ticked off how to do it right (Adding much stronger bottoms).  Not hard

Hello John - I didn't replace the bottoms although I would be the first to say they are pretty flimsy. Once I disassembled, glue the bottom edges too, and reassembled, it stiffened the bottoms and made the drawer(s) much stronger.
  Curious about the weather (temps) in Michigan; should be in the Central Michigan area in about a week (lived in Michigan for many years (many years ago); raised on a farm in the Lansing area back about the time of the Great Depression. When I was old enough to join the Army, I did - to get an easier job. Didn't turn out that way; I still had to get up at 5 in the morning and I only got $21 a month - of course the Gov't provided Room and Board as a fringe benefit. Also promised a retirement benefit if I stuck around for 20 yrs; I did - 26 yrs. - but the retirement pay in l967 wasn't anything to write home about either; couldn't buy a motorhome with it :eek:  Sure was an eye opener. May see you down the road someday, Lloyd A - the Old Hobo.

Guess I'm forturnite to not having had any of those problems withexception of roof to ground streaking until we coated the roof.  When I did dothe roof I gave it 3 coats over a period of 5 months and the problems almost eleminated itself except for a spot here ar there occassionaly.  Ours is a 98 but, built in 97 bought new by the original owner in 99 and we bought in in late 2000 with less than 5000 mles on it. Had windshield problems but it was corrected during a replacement.  Very happy with ours.

Hello Shayne:  Thanks for feedback - I note you did not state what you used for that multiple roof coating or top dressing; do you recall the product name. That had to be a lot of work but I suppose the consolation is that the roof doesn't chalk SO MUCH any more.
  You were fortunate, or blessed,  to have had only one additional problem - the windshield. We also had (still have) a noticeable damaged area on the windshield, right side - high up, out of direct line of vision. The dealer's Service Manager looked at it on two different occasions after I called attention to it; even got one of the dealer's sons to have a look; the latter took the position that it did not warrant replacement since it was cosmetic - "did not interfere with viewing the road." It looks like it has been etched with acid.
    And the list goes on - needless to say, we will not go back to that dealership again - and most assuredly will not buy another Fleetwood product. The Pace Arrow is our third Class A; a fourth RV,
the first one, was a Class C); before that there was a 23' travel trailer and the very first - a Popup combo, boat and tent camper; a Nomad, built in Canada; it was cute, clever and functional, in and out of the water.  Have fun and enjoy every day to the fullest,  Lloyd  (the old hobo)

I used Kool Seal .  1st I cleaned the rood with Superior's  Green All, 2 Used Kool Seal  Rubber Roof Primer. Coats 3, 4, and 5 Kool Seal Rubber Roof Top Coat(White)    I rolled this on with a 9 " roller.  We purchased this from Camping World.  The Superior Green we bought at an Auto Supply (NAPA)  After we returned from Quartsite this Jan, we had the RV cleaned up and by one of the dealers here in  AZ and he stated this looked to be as good  a seal job as they've seen.  Maybe he was just BS'ing me  but sure made me feel good.  I think the 1st coat took about 3/4 gal for our 37' MH and I did roll it out, not leaving  it on heavy.  2nd coat took just a hair less material and the 3rd I finished up the 2nd gal of finish.    Used most of the Primer gal.  Somewhere around 50 bucks a gal for each.  I did brush it heavily around all roof protrusions.  This worked for me  others may have a better idea.  Good Luck.  OOPs  I did have some trouble with my slide, it has a tendency to creep out a bit, but I have cured that.  I took a couple of older cinch straps, the crank type and went to the upholster shop and had them cut to size and when I pull the slide in  I get under the unit and hook the one end to the slide bar and the other to the frame and crank it tight.  Doesn't bother me to get under and I feel safe that way.  Again this works for me.  Good Luck.

Here's another Rubber Roof Coat product called Plas-T-Cote. Don't know if it is superior to Kool Seal, but it costs more.  ;)  This particular vendor (PPL) sells both Kool Seal and this product.

There are several such products on the market, used for RVs and commercial rubber roofs (EDPM rubber roofs are also used on warehouses and similar buildings).

Thanks  Gary, a friend of mine used that, I just couldn't remember the name of it.  Never talked to him about his results tho.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom