Sewer connect kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldude

Is there a particular brand of Sewer hose kit that is better than the others? There are about three or four options at CampingWorld....which one for a Class A???

I'm not sure there's a single best kit per se and have tended to make up my own from individual components. Sometimes you'll need a threaded connection at the sewer end and sometimes you'll need a rubber donut. At the coach end, use a clear plastic elbow so you can see what's happening with the flow.

One of the issues with most of the sewer hoses sold in Camping World and other RV supply stores is that they don't last very long before getting punctures/leaks. This failure process is accelerated if you happen to camp or dump in places with lots of gravel. The Rhino hoses sold by CW are far superior in this respect in addition to the fact that they can be compressed into a smaller area for easier storage.

Tom is correct in his recommendation for the Rhino hose.  Using the cheaper hoses you are lucky if you get a years service out of them.  We have used a Dupree or Rhino hose for a few l years before replacement was necessary.

"you are lucky if you get a years service out of them."

Boy, that's the truth. I had a brand new CW regular hose still in the box when I bought my motorhome. It lasted just about exactly one year, with very infrequent use. Developed pinholes all along its length. Unfortunately I didn't know about them until I tried to dump, and that was one messy job.
I bought a Rhino hose as soon as we got home and it works very well.

Woody

Oldude said:
Re: the screw on types (Personally I like them) They come in right and LEFT thread, as do the hoses, If you get them

Well I'll be darned. We had a discussion here when I bought the Rhino hoses because the Rhino is opposite thread from other hoses and the fittings wouldn't screw in. Folks kept saying "yes they will", but nobody mentioned that fittings come in two persuasions. Another reason I wish I could go to my local WM store instead of driving all the way to the nearest Camping World.

Oops John, looks like I edited your message by mistake instead of replying to it. Methinks I need to separate a couple of adjacent buttons on the admin screens because a few of us have clicked the wrong button in our haste to respond. Sooorry.

The one indispensable accessory for a sewer hose is a transparent elbow.  They come in various shapes depending on the configuration of your dump valve.  The advantage of a transparent elbow is that you can see whether any solid waste remains in your holding tank and if further flushing is required.

I carry a spare because with time there is a chance the locking ears might break and for the cost a a few dollars, it's worth carrying a spare.

I would not be without one.

Anybody else like using a transparent elbow?

Yes we use a straight one and wouldn't be without it.

Last year I upgraded all my sewer hose stuff to the "Ultimate Sewer Hose".? It is great and I highly recommend it.? The hose is not only heavy duty but there is no twisting, etc.? All the components stay together by friction.? It's extremely easy and convenient to hook up and unhook.? Here's the website of the starter kit....http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptID=&subOf=249,19&skunum=14020.? In addition to this kit, I added the clear 45 degree elbow that others have mentioned.? Hope this helps.

I noticed there is another version of the clear elbow that has a garden hose fitting to back-flush the tank from the elbow.  Is this an effective way to wash out remaining debris from a holding tank?

I have one of those Steve, but can't use it because the garden hose connection runs interference with something else.

Steve said:
I noticed there is another version of the clear elbow that has a garden hose fitting to back-flush the tank from the elbow.? Is this an effective way to wash out remaining debris from a holding tank?

I just can't see how it could be very effective. Just imagine trying to use one on your coach. Just how much flush is going to happen when the stream goes around a 90 degree bend. ?Might help flush the sewer hose out but not too effective flushing the tank out. ?The flushers installed in the tank like you and I have is much more effective. ?

I did witness a guy using one though in a campground North of Houston. ?He turned off the campground water, removed the hose from his fresh water connection and attached it to the sewer elbow flush connection, opened the BWT valve then turned on the fresh water valve at the campground connection. ? Yep did this with his white fresh water hose he had previously had connected to his fresh water connection.

LOL Ron, good story re the guy using his white hose.

I've never really understood how those hose connections can be effective for flushing the tank. Like you, I use the pre-installed tank flushing system. We did a have a problem at one point with the flushers not working and I didn't figure out if that was due to low water pressure or something clogging the flush nozzles. For a short while we were running a spearate hose into the coach and into the toilet to perform the flush, but we don't need to do that now because the flushers have worked fine on the last few trips.

Just hope we never stop at a campground this guy has visited.  We were not staying at that campground I was there to help a neighbor pick up his trailer he had stored there.  I forgot to include the rest of the story.  After flushing the tank he reconnected the same hose to his fresh water connection. ???

Some folks just have no sense of taste or smell  ;D  Bet he didn't wash his hands afterwards either.

Back
Top Bottom