Sewer Hose Support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

I'm thinking of getting one of those expandable trestle-like support things that you put under your sewer hose between the RV and the sewer connection in the ground.  Typically, they are higher on the RV end -- tapering down in height towards the ground connection end.

Does anybody have any strong feelings about particular brands/models -- either for or against?

I saw a 15-foot one at WalMart for ~$27.  It didn't have any tie straps to hold the hose in the trough, saying their trough was deep enough that you don't need them.  Truth or fiction?

Also, do you need periodic sticks holding the trestle into the ground, or is the stiffness & weight of the trestle+hose enough to hold everything stable when the stuff hits the fan -- er, hose?  Without any support, my sewer hose slithers like a snake when I open the valve to dump a full tank.

Related question:  My sewer hose has a coupler that screws into the ground pipe, but then the elbow fitting on the end of the hose just presses into this coupler.  I worry that the pressure of a "dump" will blow the elbow connection apart and I'll have a Robin-Williams-RV event.  I'm sure my wife would love to have a picture of me straining to keep one outstretched foot on top of this connection while trying to reach the distant BW tank valve.  :-[  Other than carrying a sandbag around, is there a good way to ensure this connection doesn't pop loose?

I'm thinking of getting one of those expandable trestle-like support things that you put under your sewer hose between the RV and the sewer connection in the ground.  Typically, they are higher on the RV end -- tapering down in height towards the ground connection end.

Why? They aren't needed for anything, except maybe to looka bit  neater. In fact, they can be detrimental if there are sewer gases or sewer flies in the park system. That's because the downslope eliminates the P trap that usually forms naturally when waste water lays in the hose on the ground. That lets flies and odors come up the hose and into your RV tank when the valve is open.

mfa said:

Does anybody have any strong feelings about particular brands/models -- either for or against?

Gary  hit it on the head. I have one in a bay I have been carrying for over 15 years and used it exactly once when I first bought it! In addition to being unnecessary, its a pain to set up and keep from falling over. When you arrive at a site after a long drive, you don't need to be out there messing with such a contraption.

But you may find someone who likes it and uses it. I hope I do and I will give them a present.

Bob

RV Roamer said:
Why? They aren't needed for anything, except maybe to looka bit  neater. In fact, they can be detrimental if there are sewer gases or sewer flies in the park system. That's because the downslope eliminates the P trap that usually forms naturally when waste water lays in the hose on the ground. That lets flies and odors come up the hose and into your RV tank when the valve is open.

That's true.  I was thinking about that last week when we were out in it.  We had a number of family members with us (5 adults) and I didn't want to be running out there to dump the gray water 3 times a day with all the showers and extra water consumption.  So I left the gray water valve cracked a tiny bit -- just enough to let the output stay ahead of the input over time.  I had never done that for the reasons you stated, but I did so noting that there was a water trap formed by the shape of the hose run.

Yes, they're a pain, but some parks require you hold the hose off the ground.

When hooked up to a sewer connection for any length of time, many folks leave the gray water valve open so it drains continuously. Prior to leaving (a day or two), close the valve so your gray water tank has a good amount of liquid in it to flush the hose after draining your black water tank.

A large screw band  hose clamp will keep the hose attached to the fitting.

RV Roamer said:

I recently camped in a park that stated that you MUST use a sewer hose support Such as the Slunky (Which happens to be the brand I have) NO SEWER HOSES ON THE GROUND and proper slope all the way to the elbow which must be sealed with the donut device.  I complied, Since I have it.

I will admit I don't use it all the time or all the way all the time but I do like having the thing under the hose sometimes.

Of the brands I've seen the Slunky is nice. There is a metal one I don't like at all, there are some telescoping metal things that looks like Eves Troth which don't seem bad but would be harder to store.

However, as I said, I've just been in one park that required them.. I've been in a lot of parks and only that one required them.

Had I not had the Slunky... I have enough scrap lumber lying about the rig I could have faked it rather well

I like the vinyl rain gutter trick.

Two sections, one longer than the other and nested together allows it to telescope to the right length.  Support the ends with wood blocks at any slope needed, leave the gray water tank open until a few days before leaving as described earlier.  Last day before pulling out dump the BW, then gray.

Works just fine.

mfa,

I have one and never use it for its intended purpose. Sometimes I'll use it to form a P-trap in the hose. As Gary mentioned you will get sewer gases and flies in your tank and, eventually, in your coach if you don't have the P-trap. So far I have been lucky not to have encountered a campground that insists you use one. I hope I never do!!!

Well, we have probably flogged this well beyond the proverbial "dead horse" and I'm sure folks will do whatever pleases them most anyway. RV stores are full of gadgets that address some supposed need that conventional wisdom says every RVer must have. Few of these are actually necessary or even valuable, but most of us buy them at some point and then discard them or pass them on to a newcomer he has heard he needs one.  I kind of chuckled to note that many of the regulars here actually have a Slunky or similar but seldom or never use it. I'll bet it "seemed like a good idea at the time".

LOL Gary, I haven't used mine for over 17 years, but I'm embarrassed to say I might have moved it to our new coach.

Yesterday six of us stood and chuckled as another camper hooked up with his new hose and new slinky, just purchased at the Camping World next door to the campground. None of wanted to tell him to return it or discard it.

In well over 30 years of RVing, we have never run into a place that required the hose off the ground. Is this something new? Where are the parks that require it? Sounds like a California thing.  ;)

We have been in several parks over the years that require the sewer hose be off the ground.  Some ask because of grass cutting so the weed eaters don't eat the hose, others so the grass isn't killed.

I bought one on clearance at Walmart for about $18.  It's still in the box, stored in the basement, just in case.

Karl said:
...A large screw band  hose clamp will keep the hose attached to the fitting.
No, the hose IS clamped to a right-angle elbow which then presses into a piece which is screwed into the ground pipe.  The press-connection has some key tabs which limit the elbow orientation to every 90-degrees, but it's still a friction fit that is holding the elbow down vertically.

RV Roamer said:
If I run into a place that insists on this device, I'll hook up, dump and then put the hose away afterwards. No big deal.

Gary,

It's not a big deal but if many of your neighbors are using the device AND keeping their valve open there could be quite a bad odor. :)

Karl said:
mfa,
Honestly, I've never had a problem with a press-fit connection coming loose on its' own, even at the valve end with it hanging down. I do keep one hand on it tho. ::)

Karl,

I use that system as well and it works great....except when the end has a split on the bottom side and you don't see it!!!! ;D

As anyone who RVs knows, when you empty the tanks at the end of your vacation, it isn't much fun having to lift the hose up to ensure that all the matter inside has drained out or worse yet, thinking the hose is empty then moving it only to end up with shoes covered in nasties. This sewer hose support from Camco will see an end to those worries.

Wow, now that's reviving a seriously old topic! I however do use a sewer hose support 90% of the time. And I do form a "P trap" at one end of the hose or the other to prevent sewer gasses from entering the RV.

Back
Top Bottom