sewer odors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcgrammie

Help... we are having a terrible problem with sewer odors in our 04 prowler 5th wheel.  It started with the odors only when back flushing, now when we flush the stool, the odor is in the inside the trailer, NOT the bathroom.  We have used everything on the market

the first thing I would do is check the vent pipe from up on the roof. Run a cleanout down it and make sure it isn't obstructed.  Sometimes wasps or other critters get into any outside opening and build nests which obstruct the venting.

Woody

kcgrammie said:
Help... we are having a terrible problem with sewer odors in our 04 prowler 5th wheel.? It started with the odors only when back flushing, now when we flush the stool, the odor is in the inside the trailer, NOT the bathroom.? We have used everything on the market

First lets look at the easy things.  Do you have a exhaust fan running when this occurs?  This can cause odor to be pulled up from the black water tank when you flush.

Did this begin occurring after the rig had set for a length of time.  The grey water tank can sometimes smell worse than the black water tank.  make sure you have water in all the sink and theshower traps by running some water down all drains.

Check the vents as Woody suggested.

Have you used any products in your waste tanks that contain formaldehyde or any thing that the name ends in hyde.  These products contain one of the best preservatives available and the kill the useful bacteria that helps break down the waste.  Personally I question the motives and integrity of any manufacturer that wants to sell me a product that preserves the contents of my black water tank.  If you have used these type products then a clean out is a good idea.  Start by filling the tanks about half full ad 1/4 cup of Dawn dish soap then drive around to slosh things up a bit.  Drain and add a product called Pure Power. The Pure Power will help build up the needed bacteria.  After several uses you can just forget about adding anything to your tanks and nature will take care of it.  Many of us here have learned that additives to the waste tanks just isn't necessary, unless you have used the Hyde products then cleaning is necessary.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY 99 ALUMASCAPE. I DISCOVERED THAT THE VENT PIPE IN THE CLOSET BEHIND THE STYLE HAD A COUPLING.  JUST BELOW THE CEILING, THE JOINT  HAD NOT BEEN GLUED AT THE FACTORY.  AFTER YEARS OF USE, THE PIPE SEPARATED AND THE FUMES WERE OVERPOWERING.  IT WAS AN EASY FIX.    DAVID

We have been RV'ing for about 30+ years.? We don't use the blue stuff or commercial brands of sewer treatments.? We use distilled white vinegar and rid-x.? The vinegar is a natural degreaser, biodegradeable, and will lubricate the rubber gaskets on your valves.? The rid-x or other enzyme product will supply the bacteria to break down waste and turn your sewage to liquid.?

The vinegar will clean the monitor probes for your tank monitor.? My monitor panels have never had a? problem, with the exception of the current one, which came from the factory with a bad wiring connector.? Once corrected, we've had no problems.

We pour about a cup of vinegar down the commode, after we dump, add a cup of rid-x and about a gallon or so of water.? When we set up, we also put a splash of vinegar down each of the bathroom sinks and kitchen sinks to keep the traps clean.

We don't have odor, we haven't had problems with valves, and our monitor panels continue to work.? I buy the cheapest distilled white vinegar I can find.?

Remember that the holding tanks are septic tanks.

Back
Top Bottom