Sewer Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

My 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G smells inside when there's something in the tanks.  So I purchased new vents. 

I thought they would just slide on the old PVC pipe coming out of the roof, and then some PVC adhesive.  As you can see from the pictures, the vents on there don't appear to have they same type of pipe coming out of the roof.  I didn't want to remove the old vents til I got some feedback from y'all.  When I take them off, is there a pipe in there that I don't see from my view that the new vent will mount on?  Is there any special procedure to remove them?  Or will I need to go to Lowes and pick up a special PVC pipe that I can mount them on?  Thanks

Attachments

• Roof Vents on MH roof view.jpg
    Roof Vents on MH roof view.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Roof Vents on MH.jpg
    Roof Vents on MH.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 80
  • New roof vents.jpg
    New roof vents.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 84
Surely the actual vent pipe is close to the roofline. Perhaps you could use a mechanics mirror on a stick along with a flashlight on that T-vent to see how close the vent stack is to the roofline. Then, it may just take installing a union and extension pipe to get the stack up to where you want it for the new vent installation.

The T-vent is an after-market vent designed to suck the stink out when air passes through it when wind blows or when driving ...does pretty much what the new vent you bought does. So, what the vent stack under it looks like depends on how whoever installed it did it.  The round top beside the t-vent is the standard tank vent ...the top cap should just pop off of it. Interesting that the two vents are that close together. My two tanks are y-ed into one vent on the roof.  ...and someone used some strange looking sealant on that roof!!

I believe the new vent you got does require some installation and resealing.  I got the Xtreme Vent because it requires no removing/replacing sealant, and the vent wings are powder coated metal that does not fade or yellow.

This RVGEEKS YouTube video may offer insights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-uFrBNB4yI&list=PL4366C43348BEE410

I doubt if new vent caps will solve your stink problem, but they can't hurt. Just don't break anything!

Have you explored the common reasons for interior tank odors, e.g. a bad air admittance valve or a loose fitting at top of tank (tank flange)?

Gary RV Roamer said:
I doubt if new vent caps will solve your stink problem, but they can't hurt. Just don't break anything!

Have you explored the common reasons for interior tank odors, e.g. a bad air admittance valve or a loose fitting at top of tank (tank flange)?

No I hadn't.  Where would I look for an "air admittance valve"?

For  my bath tank, it's under the sink in the bathroom. For the kitchen tank, it's under the sink inside the cupboard. It's going to be on the end of a pipe up close to the bottom side of the counter top. It may just unscrew off the top of the pipe or maybe it just slips over the pipe. Remove it and make sure the rubber flapper is free to open.

Sometimes gray water tanks can smell worst than your black tank.  Can you see the top of your tanks or is your under belly fully enclosed?

One quick way to determine if you AAV's arent working is to tape a sandwich bag over them, if the sting goes away then that's the problem.  From the looks of your vents being so close I doubt that you could fit two of those new vents on without them hitting each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom