Sharp microwave oven hazard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
I have a Sharp Carousel microwave-convectio oven.  The turntable stands on a center spindle about the diameter of a straw and maybe an inch tall.  The spindle wobbles.  The carousel plate wobbles.  Nothing snaps firmly together.  I have a non-skid hot pad in there to try to keep dishes of boiling food from sliding out the door when I open it.  It's amazingly dangerous.  I have reported it to the factory that did the installation.  I tried baking a coconut custard pie in there, and the wobbling of the turntable caused the pie pan to slide to one side.  I had to open the oven door ever 1/2 rotation or so to push the pan back to the middle.  The sloshing of the custard liquid just made it worse.  That's boiling stuff.  Imagine opening the door and a bowl of soup comes flying out at you.  The oven is above the stove, so it's about face height. 

I have also called the manufacturer who said to have a repair place come out to fix it.  Whatever for?  It's not broken.  It's just the world's worst design.  I couldn't figure out why their only solution was to send a repair person.  I told the manufacturer's rep who did the rote clerical response to get back to me about the design problem and what they had as a resolution, but I never heard back.  Not surprised. 

I know I should pursue this.  No clue how to get past the know-nothings who answer Sharp's customer service line.

--pat
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
Pat is sounds like a part is missing from your micro wave.  We have had two Sharp ovens and never experienced what you described.  Have included a photo of the inside of our current sharp carousel oven which is very similar to the other Sharp oven.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2034 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2034 (Medium).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2033 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2033 (Medium).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 17

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
Pat,

We have a Sharp convection microwave and do not have the problem you have. I would contact someone as soon as possible about a remedy.

 

Chet18013

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,845
Location
Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Pat Alexander said:
I have a Sharp Carousel microwave-convectio oven.  The turntable stands on a center spindle about the diameter of a straw and maybe an inch tall.  The spindle wobbles.  The carousel plate wobbles.  Nothing snaps firmly together.  I have a non-skid hot pad in there to try to keep dishes of boiling food from sliding out the door when I open it.  It's amazingly dangerous.  I have reported it to the factory that did the installation.  I tried baking a coconut custard pie in there, and the wobbling of the turntable caused the pie pan to slide to one side.  I had to open the oven door ever 1/2 rotation or so to push the pan back to the middle.  The sloshing of the custard liquid just made it worse.  That's boiling stuff.  Imagine opening the door and a bowl of soup comes flying out at you.  The oven is above the stove, so it's about face height. 

I have also called the manufacturer who said to have a repair place come out to fix it.  Whatever for?  It's not broken.  It's just the world's worst design.  I couldn't figure out why their only solution was to send a repair person.  I told the manufacturer's rep who did the rote clerical response to get back to me about the design problem and what they had as a resolution, but I never heard back.  Not surprised. 

I know I should pursue this.  No clue how to get past the know-nothings who answer Sharp's customer service line.

--pat

I just checked ours. I'm sure you are missing the piece that supports the outside of the turn table. Ours has a piece shaped like a 3 spoke hub with wheels on the outer ends of the spokes. It is just about 3/4" less in diameter than the revolving tray. The wheels support the outer edge of the tray and keep it a uniform height, even when loaded uneavenly. Check you operating instructions. I bet there is a picture that shows the missing piece.

Chet
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
Bummer.  I just wrote a complete email and attached 5 pictures, and the system bumped everything because the file is bigger than 256k.  Lesson learned.  I'll have to send multiple pics. 

This will be Part 1 of 2 parts.

First, to go back to some comments, I have all the parts described in the manual and have assembled them accordingly.  Because the turntable its on a platform that sits on a spindle, and the tube that fits over the spindle is not a snug fit, the turntable wobbles.  Some of you seem to be quite mechanically minded, so I thought you'd find this incredibly bad design amusing.

Attached are pictures of the assembly piled from bottom up:

spindle
turntable platform on spindle
turntable sitting on turntable platform

--pat
 

Attachments

  • spindle e.jpg
    spindle e.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 22
  • turntable platform e.jpg
    turntable platform e.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
  • turntable e.jpg
    turntable e.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 20

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,102
Sorry Pat. The attachments screen tells you what the limitations are on the size and number of attachments.
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
Sharp bad design Part 2.

Attached are pictures of

The turntable platform upside down showing the tube that goes over the spindle
The turntable assembly

I'm going to do one more message showing an item in the oven and the slant.

--pat
 

Attachments

  • turntable platform e.jpg
    turntable platform e.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 22
  • turntable assembly e1.JPG
    turntable assembly e1.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 24

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
Last pic.  This one shows something in the oven and how crooked it gets.  Because this is also a convection oven, I have to be careful what I use for a non-skit turntable surface, so I don't start a fire.

--pat
 

Attachments

  • crooked e.JPG
    crooked e.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 20

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,102
Pat

After looking at your photos, I have to agree that it looks liike you're missing one or more of the rollers that allow the dish to rotate.
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
Pat,

After comparing your photos with the ones I posted of our Sharp MW it appears either you are missing some parts or the design is very different.
Have you contacted Sharp?
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
I have all the parts listed in the manual.  There are no rollers nor any Y configured turntable support to go with this oven.  The turntable wobbles on that silver platform, which sits loosely over the spindle.  In fact, the heating element is on the floor of the microwave (see spindle photo), so there is no way for rollers to roll around the square (by the way) floor.  Attached is a copy of the assembly page from the manual.  The rack they show stands on the turntable when you're roasting something.  it's irrelevant.  The turntable will still wobble.

--pat
 

Attachments

  • assembly page.jpg
    assembly page.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 17

Lorna

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Posts
1,181
Pat

You have a totally different Sharp microwave oven than the rest of us have or at least the ones I have seen.  If you look at the photo that Ron posted the floor of the Microwave doesn't look anything like yours.
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
I note  there are differences between your Sharp and ours or the ones that I have seen.  I just don't know what to suggest other than to write to Sharp and ask if there are any modification, recalls, or updates available to correct the design or condition.
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
Lorna:  I saw the photos, which show the type of turntable rotator that seems stable and have pointed out that mine is different, probably because, as noted, my oven is a microwave-convection.  I imagine that Y shaped rotator part would not survive the heat of a convection oven.  Well, I did try to point out to Sharp customer service that they have a design flaw.  I think I'll pursue it once again and see if they have corrected anything.  I have a friend with a Jenn-Aire microwave-convection oven, I believe.  Hers also holds the turntable off the heating element on the floor of the oven, but I believe she said her parts snap securely together and that her turntable is sufficiently supported so it doesn't wobble.  I was just so amazed at this dangerous thing.  I've learned to work with it.  I think I should find some US consumer protection agency and send some info.

--pat

 

Phil

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
982
Pat Alexander said:
I saw the photos, which show the type of turntable rotator that seems stable and have pointed out that mine is different, probably because, as noted, my oven is a microwave-convection.  I imagine that Y shaped rotator part would not survive the heat of a convection oven.

Pat,

My Sharp is a Microwave-Convection oven and it has the Y shape rotator just like the picture shows  and it works just fine. 

Phil
 

Chet18013

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
1,845
Location
Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Pat Alexander said:
I have all the parts listed in the manual.  There are no rollers nor any Y configured turntable support to go with this oven.  The turntable wobbles on that silver platform, which sits loosely over the spindle.  In fact, the heating element is on the floor of the microwave (see spindle photo), so there is no way for rollers to roll around the square (by the way) floor.  Attached is a copy of the assembly page from the manual.  The rack they show stands on the turntable when you're roasting something.  it's irrelevant.  The turntable will still wobble.

--pat

Pat,

Afterlooking at your parts and the instructions, I'd say you gave a defective turntable mounting hub. The design of your oven is different from the larger convection/microwave oven that most of us have. I would try to get some one with some machine tool experience to put a micrometer on the spindile and measure it and the ID of the hole in the mount of the hub. I bet that there is way to much clearance between the two. I would DEMAND a new turntable/mounting hub as the first try at fixing it. When you talk to Sharp customer service, the first thing to say is that you have called several times and had no satisfaction. please forward my call to a supervisor. If the supervisor doesn't hellp then ask for a manager. You should tell them that you have an unsafe condition and that you want the correct address so you can send them a certified letter, with photos, notifying them so that you are on record in the event of a liability claim. As tell them that copies are being sent to the Dept of Consumer Affairs.

You have gone the route and I would ask a new oven. If the dealer doesn't want to help, as Sharp to recommand one that will.

Good luck and tell us how you make out.

Chet



 

JerArdra

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
1,814
Pat,

Does your microwave have the item shown in the attached photo?

JerryF
 

Attachments

  • MW1.JPG
    MW1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 17

BernieD

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Posts
5,861
Location
Goodyear, AZ
Does your microwave have the item shown in the attached photo?

JerryF

Jerry

We need you or Ardra to come to our coach and clean our microwave. ;D ;D  Have you ever used it ??? ??? ???
 

Lorna

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Posts
1,181
Bernie you are right, theirs does look much to clean.  Ours got messed up when we used to broil in it but now that we have the Hamilton Beach grill I have been able to keep it much cleaner.  Pat, Phil is right about ours being a convection/microwave oven and ours looks different from yours on the floor of the oven.  It looks like you have some kind of heating element there that we don't have.  Chet gave you some very good ideas so good luck and keep us informed.
 

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Posts
2,938
Location
Camp Verde, AZ
Pat,

Would it be possible to look at another microwave that is the same model as yours (maybe at your dealers)? I think you may have a cover missing that was left out at the factory. I've never seen a microwave/convection oven that had an exposed heating element. If there is supposed to be a cover over your lower heating element it appears that that would take up the space that is causing your rotating base to wobble.

Just a thought.
 
Top Bottom