Sharp or GE Convection/Microwave Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Y'all.
I am going to replace the original Sharp Convection/Microwave oven in our 1993 WL. I am trying to decide between the Sharp or a GE. Please offer your ideas, opinions or recommendations on either oven.

Thanks,
Liz

Jackliz said:
Howdy, Y'all.
I am going to replace the original Sharp Convection/Microwave oven in our 1993 WL. I am trying to decide between the Sharp or a GE. Please offer your ideas, opinions or recommendations on either oven.

Thanks,
Liz

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? AMANA

Ron said:
                                            AMANA

I like that.. AMANA holds the ORIGINAL patent on Microwaves, everybody else makes them under license from AMANA so that is a good recommendation.

Personally..... My 'home' unit is a Tappin, Dometic in the motor home has a bit of a problem (though I did not notice it last night)

The Amana units I have used were bullt like a tank (Very solid) but may have been "industrial" models

Ron said:
                                            AMANA

Oh? Is that what you have in your coach? I never thought about Amana. Why do you recommend it?

Thanks,
Liz

Jackliz said:
Oh? Is that what you have in your coach? I never thought about Amana. Why do you recommend it?

Thanks,
Liz

We have a sharp which gave us some difficulty while in Yuma.  It appeared we were going to have to replace it if they couldn't find the necessary part.  The service guy recommended the Amana over all others and indicated Home Depot carried one that would fit right in where the Sharp was.  I started checking and folks that had the Amana highy recommended it.  They were able to fix our Sharp so we didn't get the Amana but that is what we will get if a change becomes necessary.

We have the GE Spacemaker convection/micro and have been very happy with it.  Ours is the fancy model with all the lights, fans, auto cook cycles, vents outside, etc., but there are other Spacemakers as well. Don't know if they all cook the same.

Jackliz said:
I am going to replace the original Sharp Convection/Microwave oven in our 1993 WL. I am trying to decide between the Sharp or a GE. Please offer your ideas, opinions or recommendations on either oven.nks,
Liz

Liz,

I have the Sharp Micro/ Convection and like it very much.  I especially like the  preprogrammed features to steam vegetables and defrost things.  I think it would work better if it  were the kind vented outside but alas Terry won't let anyone put a hole in the side of the rig to vent it now. Terry tried to talk me into getting the GE Advantuim oven which cooks with light.  I was unwilling to go through another learning curve to learn to use it.  Those who have them rave.  good luck.

Betty

Further to my previous reply.  We still have the Sharp microwave and Sam does like it very much.  How ever if it became necessary to replace the Sharp the Amana would probably be the replacement.  The biggest problem I have with Sharp was when the oven did quite the required part was no longer available from Sharp.  The shop had to call around and find a repair facility that happen to still have the part in stock.

Betty Brewer said:
I think it would work better if it? were the kind vented outside but alas Terry won't let anyone put a hole in the side of the rig to vent it now.
Betty

Why not, he doesn't seem to have a problem making holes in other peoples rigs.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Betty,

Were you aware that the Advantium requires a minimum of 30" width? If you have 30" appliances now it shouldn't be a problem. Also, they can be installed without ducting to the outside, but that means you get the heat and moisture inside the coach. That may be o.k. - your preference. I use my oven (standard gas) quite a bit for roasts and stews, and mostly use covered metal cookware. Very little open baking, so for me, the light/microwave cooking of the Advantium wouldn't help much. Looks like a very nice unit, however! 

Karl said:
Were you aware that the Advantium requires a minimum of 30" width?

Karl,
I just got out the tape measure and measured a good 30 inches that I have for my present Sharp.  good to know.

Betty

We have the GE Spacemaker convection/micro and have been very happy with it.  Ours is the fancy model with all the lights, fans, auto cook cycles, vents outside, etc., but there are other Spacemakers as well. Don't know if they all cook the same.

Thanks for the reply, Gary. Is your model the JVM 1490? 

Regards,
Liz

Betty Brewer said:
Liz,

I have the Sharp Micro/ Convection and like it very much.  I especially like the  preprogrammed features to steam vegetables and defrost things.  I think it would work better if it  were the kind vented outside but alas Terry won't let anyone put a hole in the side of the rig to vent it now. Terry tried to talk me into getting the GE Advantuim oven which cooks with light.  I was unwilling to go through another learning curve to learn to use it.  Those who have them rave.  good luck.

Betty

Howdy, Betty. Thanks for your reply. I feel the same way about the Advantium as you do.  ;D

Regards,
Liz

Ron said:
Further to my previous reply.  We still have the Sharp microwave and Sam does like it very much.  How ever if it became necessary to replace the Sharp the Amana would probably be the replacement.  The biggest problem I have with Sharp was when the oven did quite the required part was no longer available from Sharp.  The shop had to call around and find a repair facility that happen to still have the part in stock.

Yup, I hear you.  ;D  ;D  Thanks for your replies.

Much obliged,
Liz

Just a quickie on the Advantium: Be mindful that there are two models; the 240 and the 120. The 120 will operate of a standard 15A circuit because it cycles between micro and light; not both at the same time and therefore the "Up to 4 times faster cooking". The 240 requires a 30A 240V(220V) circuit and can operate the micro and light at the same time for the "Up to 8 times faster cooking". Don't know of too many coaches that have the wiring or genset for that. Dimensionally they are the same.

Any RV with 50 amp service can have a 240V outlet wired by using both legs of the 50A service.  Of course, the outlet will be dead on 30A service.  Similarly, most larger generators, like the common Onan 6.5KW, output 240V 2 120V legs and could be wired similarly.  I would opt for the 120 model rather than go to that much work :)

I wrote a reply but don't see it here.  I have a Sharp, and it is very inappropriate for a motorhome.  I believe there's a thread in Tech or one of the other boards that includes pictures.  Be careful not to get one with the straw-size spindle holding the turntable.  It wobbles.

I'm going to replace my relatively new Sharp, because it's so bad.  I'm encouraged to read about the options here.  I think mine is a small model.  Inside dimensions are 13 inches wide, 13 inches deep, and 8 inches high.  The oven, not counting the frame around it, is 20 inches wide.  Are there any good microwave-convection ovens that small, or is Sharp's bad design the only option?  I wonder if Amana makes something as good.  I'm going back to the plan next May and will most likely have this thing switched out. 

--pat

www.repairclinic.com

They MAY have parts for older model appliances. 

When preparing my house for sale, I needed parts for a 16 year old built in stove.  They had the parts. 

Merry

Back
Top Bottom