Shipping to/from Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seakrhome

Any recommendations and advice welcome.  We only have a month to explore with our Class-A and dinghy. Thinking of shipping our rv and vehicle from Bellingham, WA, and meeting up in Homer to do some Alaska touring, before reversing the process.  Thoughts??

Take the Alaska Marine Highway (ferries) instead (you can travel on it as well as the RV). Maybe start from Homer and leave via Haines or Skagway, so that you don't have to go back to Homer again.

Great option! Looks like it takes twice as long to ferry than ship, but perhaps we have some time at each port?

seakrhome said:
Any recommendations and advice welcome.  We only have a month to explore with our Class-A and dinghy. Thinking of shipping our rv and vehicle from Bellingham, WA, and meeting up in Homer to do some Alaska touring, before reversing the process.  Thoughts??

Do you want to ship your RV then fly up to use it or ship it because you don't have the time to drive the Alcan?

If you ship it then fly up, I don't think you can ship it to Homer. I think the closest place to Homer would be Seward.

We are looking into shipping, because that gives us more time to explore Alaska. I have heard 3-4 weeks to drive one-way from Washington, so round trip is a huge chunk of time.  I am pretty sure we can ship RT Bellingham-Homer.  Takes 3 days, versus 6 to ferry. 

3-4 weeks to drive from Washington would include sight-seeing along the way, all of it enjoyable.  You could just drive it in 4 days, I think, but you would be passing up one set of sights in order to have more time elsewhere.  All depends on what you want to see.  I'd go up the Yellowhead and Cassiar Hwy (BC 37) to the Alaska (Alcan) Hwy.

I can understand the desire to visit Homer, Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks and such, but Tok, Haines, Seward, Skagway and (down in the panhandle) Hyder are all worthwhile too. Plus all the wilderness in-between.  We spent 10 weeks and still didn't get to everything we wanted to see & do, but we were moving at a leisurely pace  and doing a lot of exploring.

Gary RV-Wizard - do you have a topic about traveling Alaska?  My husband and I would love to talk to you about it all via this forum.  My husband is an avid hunter/fisherman and grew up being a mountain man cowboy in Idaho.  I am a Florida girl, but my husband says I am an Idaho girl because I have lived here for over 40 years and I am an outdoorsy kind of girl...but no tree hugger.

I am new to the site and don't know how to only talk to you so I apologize to the original poster...is this called hi-jacking?

P ;)

OutdoorIt said:
Gary RV-Wizard - do you have a topic about traveling Alaska?  My husband and I would love to talk to you about it all via this forum.  My husband is an avid hunter/fisherman and grew up being a mountain man cowboy in Idaho.  I am a Florida girl, but my husband says I am an Idaho girl because I have lived here for over 40 years and I am an outdoorsy kind of girl...but no tree hugger.

I am new to the site and don't know how to only talk to you so I apologize to the original poster...is this called hi-jacking?

P ;)
Also check out the trip reports in our library. Click on Library at the top of the page and scroll down to "trip reports". There are several there on Alaska.

Gary RV-Wizard - do you have a topic about traveling Alaska?
Yes, our report on our Alaska venture (way back in 2002) is in the RVForum Library titled Brinck's Alaska Travelogue.  We traveled with another couple and did a lot of fishing and wildlife viewing.  I need to update that travelog with pictures and maybe a couple videos.  Data speeds were too slow for that 18 years ago, but now everybody could enjoy them.  Some of the wildlife photos are spectacular.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/21-trip-reports/141-brincks-alaska-travelogue
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/21-trip-reports

I also did an Alaska trip blog in 2012 with a lot of facts and data on the trip. It may fill in some of the blanks for you.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,54670.0.html

Thanks, Marty.  Alaska is on our list for next year.  We will be leaving northern NY by the end of May with a return sometime in September. So 3 - 4 months.  Mostly traveling in Canada, from home and back.  Looking forward to it.

These are all great suggestions, and I look forward to pouring over the Alaska Blogs!  I have another option -- We are now pondering shipping our RV from Tacoma to Anchorage, flying up to meet it, and touring for a month in the region. Then fly back home, and store our RV there. Has anybody ever put their RV into long-term storage in Anchorage??  We would then return in May, and drive it back home to Colorado...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom