Shock Absorber Selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyfrey

I have an '89 Itasca 33' Class A coach that needs shocks. I'm a recreational RVer, i.e weekend trips once a month so I typically do not load it near its capacity. I'm puzzled about how to find the right/best shocks to get, any ideas? Also, I've read much about having the weight at the wheels measured to determine level loading and tire pressure setting, where can I get that done?
Thanks
Gary, Tucson

You can weigh your coach at any place that has a platform scale.  Most moving companies have them.  Look up "Public Scales" in the phone book and you will probably see several.

In order to weigh the coach and get individual wheel weights, do the following:

Weigh each axle independantly.  Then do the same with only one side of the coach on the scale.  Simply deduct that weight from the axle weight and you have the weight of the other side.

Next, set the tire inflation for each axle based upon the worst condition or heavier wheel on that axle.  You can get the recommended pressures from tables available at your tire dealer.

To determine the model of  shock needed, you need to know your chassis brand. You probably have a Ford F53 or Chevy P32.

You want a shock designed for RV use. Monroe makes a special series of shocks for motorhomes (Monroe Gas Magnum RV shocks) and Bilstein makes excellent RV shocks.  Koni also has a line of adjustable shocks for these chassis, but they are quite pricey.

Here's one website with several choices of motorhome shocks: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/

FWIW  - I just checked the shockwarehouse price against what I just paid, and it's right in line. I bought 4 Monroe Magnum RV's for my 1983 Minnie 22', and they were $44.95  at Advance Auto.  I checked a couple of other auto parts stores , and they were more.  Shockwarehouse is selling them for $48, but free shipping, which is a wash when you consider gas to drive to the store these days, so their prices look right in line.  I'm a novice RVer, but I'm happy with the Monroe's -  they cured the 'tippy' feeling I was getting when cornering, and improved tracking a bit when getting overtaken by trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom