Shock/surge suppressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidsimmonds

Any recommendations regarding Shock/surge suppressors, high-side only? It's been recommended that we get one. Protecting against the high side is more important for now than the low side. For those that don't know (and I barely know), the low side versions cause the 110 voltage to cutout when it goes down to a certain level. This apparenly protects and circuitry that doesn't handle low-voltage very well. The story goes that this happens more in Mexico than it does in Canada and the US. The high-voltage type is the usual voltage protection. There, that's all I know. Now we need some real life experienced folks to add to this.

I have basically 2 units.

One is an in-line surge supressor/brown out cut out, it works exactly as you described, cutting off 120 volt power when the voltage drops... I have it cut out on me quite often during my travels this year (all us)

Independent voltage measurement confirmed

The other device is the Xantrex 2.0, which does and excelent job of protecting downstream gear (most everything in the MH save heaters and AC) from everything.. It simply takes over and powers them off battery,  Not always a good thing

No, the Xantrex 2.0 is an inverter/charger, Very nice one, true sine wave and a host of other power-watching features, Rather more than I really wanted in fact.

Something I've been thinking about and I'm going to ask the assorted wisdom types here

I have, somewhere in this house, a "Whole House" surge supressor. This is a box that is supposed to be attached at the service/distribution panel (Fuse/breaker box) and is supposed to protect the entire house.

What do people think of attaching one of those, perhaps to the transfer switch or at the breaker panel

"Whole House" surge supressor Country Coach puts one of these in all thier coaches. It has warned me twice about miswired CG services.

If all you want is surge protection, but a "whole house" surge protector and install in your main power panel (load center). You can buy them for as little as $100 and they are easy to install - only basic wiring skills needed. They will stop power spikes, very short over voltage conditions.

But if you want continuous over-voltage protection, such as when the incoming AC is steady but over 130 VAC, you need a different sort of device. Something like the RV Surge Guard, which sells for around $300.    That will protect you from continuous over voltage conditions by shutting off the power. It also protects from continuous under-voltage and other anomalies, so you get a lot of protection.  See http://www.surgeguard.com/ 

Thanks Roamer. Sounds like the best bet is a combo of both.

Espically since I have one of each

The only problem is my "Good" one (the inline one you suggest) is a 30 amp and the coach is a 50.

The whole house unit would protect when connected to 20, 30 or 50 amp mains or when running the Onan, not that I expect much spikin from the onan.  And since the senestive stuff is all downstream of the Xantrex, no matter what happens at the mains level by the time the Whole House unit fries the xantrex will have switched to "protect" mode (inverter on, load transfered to inverter)

I just bought the Progressive Industries Smart Surge Electrical Mangement System at the Rally in Daytona Beach. I got the hardwired one with the remote indicator for my 30 amp system ($250. I think the 50 amp nodel is a little more.). They also make one for 50 amp and also make portable models. It will check the circuit before it allows juice to the coach and also will shut off the electrical input with faults, high volts, low volts, open ground, etc. It automatically opens back up when the fault is corrected. Check them out at http://www.progressiveindustries.net/. They don't sell direct, only thru dealers but you can locate a dealer on the website. They were selling these things like hotcakes at the show because several coaches had their electronics blown when the big generators they were running there for power started to run out of fuel and put out bad power.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom