shocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartps

We had our motorhome serviced today and they said one of our shocks was "leaking" and we should replace all of them because of the age of the motorhome.? We have a 99 Dolphin with 25,000 miles on it.? We haven't noticed any problems.? We just got new tires all around.? Any thoughts on this.? The shocks will come to $800.00.? Since we just paid $2,000.00 for the tires, this is hitting pretty hard.

Thanks for your help

Patti Hart

I would not at all be surprised that a 99 needs shocks, but you might want to get a second opinion. And some more price quotes too.  You can get good motorhome shocks for around $75 each,  but MSRP is usually around $100. An additional $100 per shock to install them sounds a bit steep to me, but everything for Rvs tends to be top dollar.

RV Roamer said:
but everything for Rvs tends to be top dollar.

Depending on the type of rig a person has, this seems to be unfairly attributed to RV repairs.  There are shops/mechanics that will take the shirt off your back if given the chance.  I highly recommend a second opinion also, and consider whether you really need shocks or not.  How severe is the leak for instance?  If they are in real bad shape, you will notice b/c the ride of your MH will be affected.  It's not a part that's vital to vehicle operation, so you may easily be able to wait 1-2 more years before replacing them all.

Bad shocks can play havoc with tires. Shocks on a MH are not that hard to change.  I've done them myself on the last 3 MH's and will probably do this one this fall.  No  big deal changing them for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom