Shocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratzpac

Typically I have always thought it was important to have shocks on my fifth wheels
My latest does not have them and the dealer says I should not need them.  Any ideas on wether or not shocks are important?  I figured it would provide not only a better ride, but help stop the "trailer shock" damage as well.  Thanks for your help!

I thought about installing them on my TT but the stuff all seems to stay put just fine so I really don't see a need. Just one more item to maintain. If you have problems with stuff being thrown all over the place you may want to add them.

Trailers with the Moryde suspension do well without shocks.

Like you, I always felt that shocks are an excellent feature for a trailer, even though many (most?) brands do not have them. Rear kitchen models in particular can benefit from them - it helps keep the dishes where they belong. But are they necessary? No.

and the dealer says I should not need them.

And you give any credibility at all to what the dealer says? Ignore him. You will get better advice from your dog.

RV Roamer said:
Trailers with the Moryde suspension do well without shocks.

Gary,

Are you referring to the MorRyde RE (rubber equalizer), or the more expensive/involved MorRyde IS (independent suspension)?  I'm thinking of getting a NuWa trailer.  It comes standard with shocks, and also offers the MorRyde RE as an option.  The MorRyde IS, I hear, costs thousands and totally replaces the shocks and some other major parts.  I'm just wondering whether either MorRyde option is really necessary, especially if I get an air hitch or air pin box (do people ever get both of those (air hitch/air pin box) together?).

Thanks
Gary

I was talking about what they now call MorRyde IS, the rubber-only suspension. The RE is simply an adjunct to an existing steel spring suspension, sort of like a super-shock absorber. The RE may be great, but I have no experience with it and cannot recommend for or against. The IS, however, is an excellent suspension.

As to whether either is necessary, the answer is no. Better is never necessary, it's just better.

Air pin boxes or hitches are not really related to the choice of axle suspension. They work at different ends of the trailer and address different problems.

Back
Top Bottom