Shop labor rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayflight

Over the course of the last few years and as I age out of doing my own work, I have been amazed at the labor rates for rvs and for dealer performed work. Luckily I had an independent guy do some stuff, and found that he was more than a professional doing an hours of work when charging for an hour. I was more than willing to pay him a 100 bucks an hour versus my last experience at an rv outlet of 140 bucks. I also experienced an independent in Memphis charging 150 an hour. I am curious about what many here are seeing if you take your vehicles and campers-motorhomes into a shop for work.

RV dealer shop labor rates have always been high and now are off the charts. $100 is low these days, and $125-$150 or more is common.
Gary,

Thank goodness you and the other "Old Pros" share your knowledge Freely ($0.00), out of the love for the,
"RVn, Drain your Pocket book game".

You guys could make a fortune charging for the knowledge you freely share on these boards.

A tip of the hat to you, Sir!

Appreciate you all!

JD

Avoid RV dealers for chassis work find good commercial vehicle shops. In NY my shop is less than $100 per hour and in Arizona $85.00 per hour. Both do excellent work. For the house part find a good mobile RV repair guy
When my coach blew the first spark plug, I was towed me to a Ford dealership. They charged me almost $800 to install the insert and replace the coil and plug.
When I had the second one come out, I found an independent shop who put aside work to fit me in(as opposed to leaving me parked in a dirt lot for 4 days first), did the job quickly and efficiently, and only changed me $250.
Told him I'd be back in November for him to do the rest of them.

It's often hard to convince RV owners that they don't have to go to an RV dealer shop for everything on their RV. Especially for chassis repairs on a motorized RV.

It's often hard to convince RV owners that they don't have to go to an RV dealer shop for everything on their RV. Especially for chassis repairs on a motorized RV.
Having worked at GM dealerships most of my career, I'm aware of the difference in the level of training between dealership techs and Joe's Garage techs. I requested the tow to the Ford dealer because I knew it was an engine problem.
The second time, the Ford dealer in Las Cruces totally blew me off("we don't work on motor homes, and if we did, it'd be next month before we could get to you.")so I had to look for alternate solutions. Most of the truck shops in town were full up for about a week, but one guy recommended the place where I ended up. I drove away from there happy.

I don't mind $100 an hour for labor. What ticks me off is the fact that the mechanic still only gets $10 to $20 per hour and the rest goes to the shop. I therefore use mobile mechanics. They still charge $100 an hour but at least the worker gets the money.

I don't mind $100 an hour for labor. What ticks me off is the fact that the mechanic still only gets $10 to $20 per hour and the rest goes to the shop. I therefore use mobile mechanics. They still charge $100 an hour but at least the worker gets the money.
What most people don't take into consideration is that a shop owner has to pay rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, permits, shop provided special tools, non-essential labor wages(parts guy, receptionist, service writer, detail guy, etc.), uniforms, and shop supplies.
18 years ago, when I quit the dealership in Arkansas, I was getting $20/hr.

Mobile guys still have to take a portion of that $100/hr to pay for truck, maintenance, business license fees, gas, accountant, etc. Independents are less likely to have special tools that are required for a proper repair in some instances. Also, for a lot of jobs, scheduling may be weather dependent.
The only advantage(and remember, I had my own shop for about 8 years)is not having to work for someone else.
Nothing against mobile guys, and for most coach related jobs I don't want to tackle myself I'll use them. Engine and chassis repairs, not so much.

Most dealerships are set up so the shop(hopefully)pays the fixed expenses. The profits come from the liars, uh, salespeople in the front of the building.

As a retired HVAC engineer and having ran my own company for 4 years before retiring here in the UK, the labor rates in the US always horrifies me. I ran a fully equipped van with all the equipment necessary to install, repair and service all types of air conditioning, chillers, oil and gas fired combustion appliances, both domestic and commercial and charged £40 ($56) an hour.
No wonder that I never needed to advertise for work👍
TonyL

Over the course of the last few years and as I age out of doing my own work, I have been amazed at the labor rates for rvs and for dealer performed work. Luckily I had an independent guy do some stuff, and found that he was more than a professional doing an hours of work when charging for an hour. I was more than willing to pay him a 100 bucks an hour versus my last experience at an rv outlet of 140 bucks. I also experienced an independent in Memphis charging 150 an hour. I am curious about what many here are seeing if you take your vehicles and campers-motorhomes into a shop for work.
We have a local dealer here that is charging $211.00 per hour. That is ridiculous.

I don't resent the $100/hr, I resent having to pay to find out whether they guy can even do the work much less do it right. There's been a few times in my life I've encountered tradesmen worth their salt but it's just a few. I'd even be on board with paying dealer rates if I had any confidence in them but no guarantees there either.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

So I guess rent or mortgage, utilities, workman's comp, insurance, taxes, and countless other items are free for the dealership?
Of course not, that's why the shop rate has to be much higher than the worker's paycheck. The question is does it have to be $175-$200 more to cover those things?

Then factor in the frequently poor quality of the work (see Mark's reply), which too often causes you to pay multiple times to eventually get an item fixed. The total picture is pretty dismal.

Then there's the Flat Rate book. Each job is assigned a certain amount of time to complete and the mechanic (and shop) bill the customer based on that amount. If the worker can figure out a faster way to do the work he can do multiple jobs within the original time period, in effect getting paid double or triple during that time. This leads to cutting corners and the resulting decrease in workmanship in the name of efficiency.

Then factor in the frequently poor quality of the work (see Mark's reply), which too often causes you to pay multiple times to eventually get an item fixed. The total picture is pretty dismal.
I don't resent the $100/hr, I resent having to pay to find out whether they guy can even do the work much less do it right. There's been a few times in my life I've encountered tradesmen worth their salt but it's just a few. I'd even be on board with paying dealer rates if I had any confidence in them but no guarantees there either.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Let's set aside the "poor quality" guy who just doesn't have craftsmanship and focus on ability.

I like to say, "My dad could fix anything and if you give me any vehicle through the 80's I can make fix it and make it run."

Sure. Anything my dad worked on had 4, 6 or 8 cylinders, a manual transmission, points ignition and carbureted induction. I can do all that and I can also do fuel injection, some computer troubleshooting and basic transmission diagnosis.

My point is that modern chassis are pretty complex. I work on my Jeep but basically, like a dealer mechanic, I read codes and change parts.

A dealer mechanic will see hundreds of the same vehicle types a year. He'll get pretty good at them. Johnnie's garage may not have the familiarity with less popular models and not see them much. A good example is my Suzuki Grand Vitara. I took it to Johnnies to be looked at at while he didn't have a look like it was an alien spaceship he did say, "I've never worked on these and it may take a while." It did take longer but he was a good one.

Now in the RV field there just aren't that many of them. Expecting to roll up in any given town in America and find someone who is an expert on your Thor, Winnebago, Pick any of 'em chassis is just not reasonable.

It's part of the landscape of being in the RV enthusiast game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom