Shoping for a new Digital Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Walters

Well, I've been looking into replacing my point-and-shoot digital camera with a better camera.  I've been reading the posts from Tom about his new Cannon DSLR and the expert opinions from Tom, Bob, Jim, Ron and others who are experienced photographers.  I've also looked at the pictures that many of you have taken and posted with you DSLR camera's and all of them are great looking photo's.  This makes me want to seriously consider upgrading my camera.  On our recent trip to Colorado, I took about 400 pictures, but many were not very good and none of them came close to capturing the beauty of the things we saw.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask your opinions on what kind of digital camera to buy.  I'm not as concerned with the brand of camera as I am with it meeting my photography needs without spending more money than I need to.  Mainly, I'll be using the camera for taking pictures of family, vacations and trips, some wildlife and other things I'm interested in capturing.  Before going to the point-and-shoot digital cameras, I had a Minolta SLR 35mm with two lenses, one telephoto.  I took many great pictures with that camera and enjoyed photography very much.  The last 20 years, I've just been lazy using cheap cameras to take poor pictures and would like to go back to better photography.

What are your opinions on the better fixed lens digital cameras, such as the Cannon Power Shot or Panasonic FZ-35, versus an entry level DSLR with 2 lenses?  I know the DSLR is more flexible as far as adding lenses and other accessories, but are the pictures that much better than the higher end fixed lens cameras?  Is it worth the extra money for the DSLR camera and if I got a fixed lens camera, will I wish I had gotten a DSLR?

All opinions are appreciated.  Thanks.

Dan

Dan Walters said:
Well, I've been looking into replacing my point-and-shoot digital camera with a better camera.  I've been reading the posts from Tom about his new Cannon DSLR and the expert opinions from Tom, Bob, Jim, Ron and others who are experienced photographers.  I've also looked at the pictures that many of you have taken and posted with you DSLR camera's and all of them are great looking photo's.  This makes me want to seriously consider upgrading my camera.  On our recent trip to Colorado, I took about 400 pictures, but many were not very good and none of them came close to capturing the beauty of the things we saw.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask your opinions on what kind of digital camera to buy.  I'm not as concerned with the brand of camera as I am with it meeting my photography needs without spending more money than I need to.  Mainly, I'll be using the camera for taking pictures of family, vacations and trips, some wildlife and other things I'm interested in capturing.  Before going to the point-and-shoot digital cameras, I had a Minolta SLR 35mm with two lenses, one telephoto.  I took many great pictures with that camera and enjoyed photography very much.  The last 20 years, I've just been lazy using cheap cameras to take poor pictures and would like to go back to better photography.

What are your opinions on the better fixed lens digital cameras, such as the Cannon Power Shot or Panasonic FZ-35, versus an entry level DSLR with 2 lenses?  I know the DSLR is more flexible as far as adding lenses and other accessories, but are the pictures that much better than the higher end fixed lens cameras?  Is it worth the extra money for the DSLR camera and if I got a fixed lens camera, will I wish I had gotten a DSLR?

All opinions are appreciated.  Thanks.

Dan

The fixed lens point and shoots look like a DSLR but they are a point and shoot and there is no getting around it. DSLRs offer much better image quality. A single lens that has a 12 to 1 zoom, or greater can never compete with a dedicated lens that has a 3 to 1 or a 4 to 1 zoom, or a prime lens. The 12 to 1s will be very soft and both ends of the zoom. The worst part of the point and shoots is low light results. DSLRs have far superior performance in low light situations, whether or not it is taken in natural light or with a flash. Point and shoots start deteriorating at 400 ISO and at 800 ISO are unusable. DSLRs can usually go up to 1600 with no problem and the more expensive ones can go to 6400 no problem. No point and shoot even has 6400 as an option. The flash on a point and shoot is very weak, usually crapping out before 10 feet, whereas on a DSLR it can usually get out to 15 to 20 feet no problem. Most point and shoots use AA batteries and battery life is very poor. DSLRs use a much better battery that is rechargable. Typical AA batteries go for a few hundred shot and typical DSLR batteries go for 1000 up to 3000 shots. The advanced point and shoots are merely a wolf in sheeps clothing. If you want to get serious about photography then a DSLR is your only real option.

Here's a review of the Panasonic FZ35 (aka FZ38):

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072704panafz38.asp

Tom,

Thanks for that summary, and for your opinion.  I was thinking the same thing about expensive digital point-and-shoot camera's, but didn't really know if they were anywhere close to DSLR camera picture quality.  I know there was a big difference in my old Minolta SLR picture quality and the other film cameras.  I was really leaning toward a DSLR but didn't know if I really needed it.  Your answer is very helpful in making my decision.  Thanks.

Dan

Tom,

Thanks for that link.  I will read that review and take it into consideration.  I still think I want a DSLR camera.  How do you like yours so far?

Dan

Dan,

As Tom (seillerbird) said in an earlier discussion, the XSi is more camera than I need (probably more than I can use). But I'm going to stick it out for a while since I have 90 days to return it.

The FZ35 looked quite good until I started reading some of the discussion on that site. They seem to be complaining about noise at medium-high ISO. Haven' read enough to figure out if it was just one guy, or if it's an issue with the camera/lens.

As Bob mentioned in one of our recent discussions, the Panasonic cameras we're talking about, including my FZ7, are not point and shoot, although I frequently refer to mine as such; They're quite a long way from a PAS camera, they provide control over a number of parameters, and they have a P mode. They also use a rechargable lithium ion battery with quite long life.

Hi Dan,

I'm very adept with my Canon DSLR and my husband is much more comfortable with a point and shoot camera.  I did quite a a bit of research before last Christmas and bought him a Canon Power Shot point an shoot.  That little camera is EXCEPTIONAL.  The pictures are very good at indoor/outdoor shots, and has various modes to use, which are quick and easy to acess.  Often a point and shoot has a "view finder" menu that you need to scroll through to make different selections.  The Power Shot has a dial on the top for quick changes in settings.  It also has an exceptional movie feature with sound that is equal to or better than my Sony digital movie camera.  It has a "fish" eye view finder or your can use the full body view.  It fits in his pocket.   It does not take AA batteries, but has a single rechargeable battery that last an extremely long time.  That's also the great thing about my Canon Rebel, the batteries are exceptional.  The only thing we found lacking was sport shots; if you forget to dial the camera to "sports", the pictures may be blurry.

Often I'll leave my camera at home, because his takes such good pictures, is light weight and so easy to use.

Marsha~

Thanks Tom and Marsha.  This is just what I need to help me make a decision.  I am using a Sony digital camera now that takes good pictures sometimes, but not always.  It has a dial on top also and has a P mode.  Still, the quality of the shots are not as good as I would like them to be.  I will read more on the FZ38 and the Power Shot.  Thanks.

Dan

[quote author=Marsha/CA]I'm very adept with my Canon DSLR ..[/quote]

Marsha,

We need to sign you and Ron M up to teach a class or two on DSLR photography at one of the rallies.

Did you say 8 AM day 2 at Qz, I'm signing up now, but I do have one question, do I bring coffee & Khalua or vodka & OJ.  Oh heck, I'll bring both  ???

Ed, Did you say 8 am? Most of us at Qtz don't do 8 am, even with Kahlua and Vodka  :D

Wendy

I plan on doing it on the underside, that is to say, before I go to bed, hence the coffee & Kahlua, but you name ther time as you're the prof  ;)

Tom, 

Ron M. is the "whiz-kid" as far as photography goes, he's got lots of ribbons; I'm just self-proclaimed.....and then there is Seilerbird with his great bird/wildlife photos.  However, I can teach you how to ride a horse; or to do "blue" jobs on the RVs; as well as teach the Mexican Train game.    ;D

Ed, I actually wondered if you were considering staying up until 8AM for the class. 

Side note:  I'm in a book club with neighborhood ladies, I recommended the book we read and most of them didn't like it.  The meeting was at my house and I served mimosas (champagne &  OJ) this afternoon; the discussion was lively and after a couple of glasses they decided they really liked the book!

2nd side note:  I think this year we'll bring our 10" Schmidt-Cassogram (spelling ?) telescope to QZ for sky viewing.  I need to look at what type of moon will be happening.  If it's a full or 3/4 moon, it doesn't work well.  We'll give it some thought.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Side note:  I'm in a book club with neighborhood ladies, I recommended the book we read and most of them didn't like it. 

So what was the book?

Wendy

The Thirteenth Tale by Dianne Setterfield or something like that.

BTW, my camera is working very well..... ;)

Leave it to staff to do thread drift.

Marsha~

I would be delighted to teach some photo courses at a rally.

I could be. I am currently in Las Vegas leaving for Phoenix on Friday and I will be there a few months. When is the rally?

Tom (Seilerbird),

What is you opinion of the Nikon D5000?  If I get the camera with the 18-55mm kit lens, should I also get a telephoto lens (maybe a 55-200mm)?  I've been reading a lot of reviews on many different cameras and thought the Nikon D5000 sounds like a good starter DSLR.  What do you and others think?

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom