Shopping for a Travel camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brbohica98

Hello everyone,

First of all i am new to the camper business so appreciate anything you have to offer.

I am looking to buy a travel camper bunkhouse style and would like some recommendations on what to go with? I jumped the gun and put down a deposit on a 2013 Crossroads Aspen Trail Reserve 26BH and stumble upon a forum where quite a few have had alot of issues on that particular model and brand. So now I am having second thoughts because of the electrical issues as well as bent wheels and axles to microwave arcing to front cap fading and getting alot of rock chips. I have looked at the following travel campers: Winnebago Minnie and Ultralite, Heartland North Trail, Coachmen Apex, Rockwood ultralite, Prime Time Tracer, Passport Grand Touring, Keystone Premiere Bullet and Cougar Xlite, Jayco WhiteHawk, Catalina, KZ Spree, and a few others that I have forgot.

I will be leaving Norfolk Virginia May 1st and intend to take the camper to my home in Kentucky as I am military and transferring to the west coast. My family and I will be leaving May 25th and want to head towards Denver and then up to Yellowstone, down to the Grand Canyon and into San Diego. I will be setting up the camper for about 60 days in San Diego until my family flies back to Kentucky and then putting the camper in storage until they fly out for visits.

I am down to 5 weeks and really want to get this done with. So I can atleast have a few weeks of the camper being used prior to departing the area. Appreciate any of advice you all have. My tow vehicle is a 2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL AWD (7800lb tow capacity).

Bryan
CWO3 US Navy

First time to find out is what trailer can your truck pull.  That is going to be determined by the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer. 

You say you are heading to the high country of the West and are going to be stationed in San Diego.  A normally aspirated (un-turbocharged)  engine loses about 3% of rated HP per 1000 feet of altitude.  The Grand Canyon rim is just under 7000 feet -- your truck will lose 21% of its power at those altitudes.  Besides altitude, you will encounter very long, steep grades in the passes around the West, including the back country of San Diego.

I strongly recommend that you discount that 7800-lb tow rating by 20% and restrict your trailer choice to one wtih a GVWR of 6240 lbs or less. 

brbohica98 said:
Majority of the trailers I have looked at have been between 4488 and 6200lbs.
Is that the weight of the trailers or the GVWR? It makes a huge difference. The weight of the trailer plus all your stuff that you put in it will be the weight you need to use.

brbohica98 said:
Majority of the trailers I have looked at have been between 4488 and 6200lbs.

What Seilerbird said. 

What you want is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.  GVWR is the Unladen (shipping or dry) Weight + Cargo Carrying Capacity.  GVWR can be found in mfr spec sheets and on the DOT plate on the left side of the trailer toward the front of a given unit.  GWVR is the weight of the trailer plus dealer add-ons and all the junk you should ever haul in it.  I have the sneaking suspicion that the weights you give are unladen weights.

So I ended up getting a 2013 Coachmen Apex 288BHS, it ways 4882lbs dry. Not really loading much in it except for my uniforms which should equate to about 200-250lbs. Have to go tomorrow and get my deposit back on the Crossroads model.

brbohica98 said:
So I ended up getting a 2013 Coachmen Apex 288BHS, it ways 4882lbs dry. Not really loading much in it except for my uniforms which should equate to about 200-250lbs. Have to go tomorrow and get my deposit back on the Crossroads model.

A bit heavy but you should be OK.

Just uniforms?  No kitchen utensils, cooking gear, food, tools, water, propane, bedding, kid junque, etc., etc ...    Man you are Spartan!  Your service in submarines?  ;D

just looked at the spec sheets the GVWR says 7000lbs. As for loading, only my clothes and uniforms. Everything else I will add when I get to San Diego.

Back
Top Bottom