Shopping for an RV recliner designed for a big guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

We?ve owned our Fleetwood DP for 5 months now (2003 37U).  One of the ?nice to have? things is a recliner that is designed for a big guy (6? 2? 280).  The Flexsteel model we have now does not have a tall back so my neck flops over the backside.  I?ve searched for RV furniture to see if there is one with a higher back.  I?ve also sat in the ones in our local camping world.  So far I haven?t found the one.  Are there other big guys here that have solved this problem before?  If so how?  Did you have difficulty getting the old unit out the door and the new one in?  Thanks in advance.

I just bought a normal recliner from a furniture store and made a bracket to secure the base to the floor, so much nicer. I did need to remove the back to be able to get it through the door however.

I'm not a particularly big guy myself but I do know that some Ekornes Stressless recliner chairs come in several sizes. I can't vouch for whether or not a large would suit you but all I can say is that a medium suits me just fine at 5'9" and 230 lbs.  Stressless pieces aren't cheap but they are incredibly comfortable and the leather is soft and supple.

Most recliners, the back comes off, a couple little latches.  Getting the old one out, anyone's guess what they installed.  Again, I would think they would.  I also bet, a furniture store would carry yours out, throw it away, and put the new one inside.  You'd have to secure it.

Flexsteel makes big guy models - I had one - but few "RV furnishings" places handle them. Maybe only an OEM ordering option?  But you don't need "RV furniture" - go to your favorite store and buy what you like.  Laz-Y-Boy or whatever.

The higher end Euro-style recliners often come in small-medium-large sizes. Wall hugger models popular for RV often have a shorter back, so consider a standard recline rather than the wall-hugger type. Uses more floor space to recline, though.

Back
Top Bottom