Shore power receptacle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

It is difficult to connect the power cord to our motorhome because of the location of the 50 amp receptacle.  I have to get down on one knee just to see the receptacle.  The twist connect plug is difficult to attach and even more difficult to remove.  Has anyone ever seen a short, maybe 18", adapter that has a twist connect plug on one end and a twist connect receptacle on the other?  I can't find one on the internet.  If possible, I'll have one made.  Suggestions?

garyb1st said:
It is difficult to connect the power cord to our motorhome because of the location of the 50 amp receptacle.  I have to get down on one knee just to see the receptacle.  The twist connect plug is difficult to attach and even more difficult to remove.  Has anyone ever seen a short, maybe 18", adapter that has a twist connect plug on one end and a twist connect receptacle on the other?  I can't find one on the internet.  If possible, I'll have one made.  Suggestions?

How about this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SB6TJC/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=5v0NY&pf_rd_r=JDRESM50S7Y81Y99Y4TM&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B005SB6TJC&pd_rd_w=aBEeD&pf_rd_i=50+amp+rv+electrical+cord&pd_rd_r=7b0f0e67-55ca-414d-b6f9-1c25b4408fb9&ie=UTF8&qid=1531515406&sr=1

Depending on the orientation from the factory, you may need to disassemble the receptacle on the RV and rotate it so that the 90 degree plug will be hanging down.

Marty, I hope Tom is correct.  I just need to plug it into my motorhome and leave it attached so I can connect the 50 amp cord without having to contort my body.  75 year old frames don't bend as easily as those with fewer years.  ;)

Rene, if I have to do anything with the motorhome receptacle, it would be a major effort and I'll live with the current inconvenience. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Oh I knew that Gary, the construction site plugs were 240 volts on one leg. They were wired into the same box as the 120, just labeled 240.  Some of the carpenters had big saws, and welders would use them. I accidentally plugged a skill saw into them one or twice. It would about jump out of your hand when you hit the trigger.

garyb1st said:
Rene, if I have to do anything with the motorhome receptacle, it would be a major effort and I'll live with the current inconvenience. 

Gary it's not hard to do. Just remove the 4 screws holding it to the RV, pull it out as long as there is some slack, loosen up a couple of set screws, rotate the internals then remount it.
You wouldn't want the 90 degree plug at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position. It would put a lot of unnecessary strain on the plug IMHO.

Rene, that's a possibility.  But if there is enough slack, I'd just move it forward in the bay.  Now it's at the back of a separate compartment within the bay and the entrance to the compartment is only 6 inches wide.  Maybe 7 or 8 inches wide where the receptacle is.  I guess the idea was to store the 50 amp cord right there.  Not a good idea since the cord has to be wound pretty tightly to fit in.  It's probably designed that way for security reasons, but they sure aren't user friendly to seniors.  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom