Shore Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fred and Nit

Just returned from a five day trip in our 03 Monaco Windsor.  Connect the 50 AMP shore power to do our cleaning and nothing happens.  All onboard systems indicate everything normal.  Nothing powers up.  Swith to gen set everything powers up immediately, AC, outlets, etc.  Anyone familar with the 03 Monaco electrical system with suggestions.  Would appreciate any advice.  Fred

Hi Fred,

Apologies if these suggestions are too obvious and you've already checked them, but I've often ignored the obvious only to find later that it was the cause.

• Check main AC breakers (the AC panel in my Camelot is in the bedroom).
  • Has a switch on the outside of the inverter tripped? (Unlikely since everything works on generator).

I need to go stare at my AC schematic to see if anything else jumps out at me.

Hi Tom,  Yep, all circuit breakers are on.  The Intelitec panel shows everything is powered, however, as I said, nothing works. It's really strange and very frustrating.  Fred

Fred,

I just looked at the AC schematic for my Camelot, although it's very basic. One thing that might cause your symptom would be the transfer switch located (in my case) in the bay where the power cord reel is located. Without looking at it physically (I'm not currently near the coach), I'm not sure where/how to tell you to check it.

Have you by any chance installed an after-market surge protector such as the SurgeGuard? I installed mine next to the power cord reel and it has some red lights which tell me what's going on with the incoming power. It also has a bypass keyswitch that allows me to bypass the thing if it quits working.

Edit: Just re-read your last message and realized you say that the Intellic panel says everything is powered. I should get some sleep and think on it when I get up. Meanwhile, some of our techies may be able to suggest some things to check.

Tom, I'm not sure your faith in the key to bypass the surguard is warrented.  When mine failed, the key wouldn't do anything.  I seem to remember that they told me that the key just bypasses the delay function. At least in my case, I had to remove the surguard from the circuit in order to get power. The company immediately sent me a replacement.

Robert,

I think you may be right. I now recall that, when the lights on the surge protector correctly told me I had a problem, turning the key didn't do anything. IIRC the problem turned out to be a bad receptacle at the power pole.

I should go back and re-read the leaflet that came with the surge protector.

Just checked the brochure for the surge protector and, in the illustration of the key function, it says "Allows user to by-pass Over/Under Voltage circuit while maintaining Full Surge Protection." The only other comment I see is a caution at bottom of the limited operating instructions that says "Bypass switch in the "OFF" position disables all safety circuits except "Surge Protection". "

Clearly, I misunderstood the purpose of the bypass key.

The manual that came with our Surge Guarde states that if you wish to use the by-pass switch after it has shut power down, you must remove the power to it before you turn the key switch. It also states that once you do so and then plug it back in the only function that will still operate is the surge protection but the delay, the line monitor functions and the under/over voltage functions are all disabled.

To get back to Fred's problem, it sounds as though his transfer relay has failed. The prefered power source is the genset, so if it fails in will usually fail to the genset side.

Well, I mentioned the transfer switch as a possibility several messages ago. But, thinking about it later, I wondered how he'd have AC at the Intellic if the transfer switch was bad.

Was wondering that myself tom, but thought I'll let you come round to it :)

Unless. his intella power panel controlls his intella switch,, That might be the case

I don't know those systems well enough to say one way or the other

I just got done fixing my Xantrex Prosine (Returned for warranty exchange) Got the new one in, hooked up, turned on, no smoke, no sparks, no fire, no output (oh well)  Pulled the wireing cover off and found the wire that I forgot to connect, suddenly I had no smoke, no sparks, no fire and no beeps from the down-stream power fail alarm (In short, OUTPUT)

Checked, found it was putting amps into the batteries (Good) pulled the breaker down the hall that feeds it and the amps suddenly started coming OUT of the battery (With no errors) also good.  Went back today and fniished the install (Covers, lock down the fuse holder) all I need now is the battery bridge switch for when I wish to hook up ALL the batteries

Congrats on the working inverter John. It does feel good when something works the way it should.

Tom said:
Congrats on the working inverter John. It does feel good when something works the way it should.

That I agree with... Next job is hooking up a tripod tv dish.  The roof top dish is good, but don't work well when parked under trees. Have Dish, Have tripod, Have mast, Have cable, need to put cable in route.  That will take me a bit.

I plan on a kind of unique hook up spot... I'm going to put a ground block under the hood, out of the weather and well protected, and easy to get to when I need it.  Also close to said channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom