Shoulder Harnesses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

propertymanager

My wife and I just bought a 1992, 33 foot Holiday Rambler 1000 (class A).  It is our very first RV.  The RV is in nearly mint condition but does not have shoulder harnesses in either front seat.  Could you give me advice on how to get shoulder harnesses installed?  Should we take it to the local Ford car dealer,  an RV dealer, or somewhere else?  We have already taken our first trip in it, but I don't really feel safe driving it without a shoulder harness.

Thanks,

Mike

Can you determine if the coach ever had seatbelts installed?  If it never had seatbelts installed call the manufacturer (now Monaco) and give them an opportunity to install them.  They probably will accommodate you since they were required to install seat belts by law.

Ron said:
Can you determine if the coach ever had seat belts installed?? If it never had seat belts installed call the manufacturer (now Monaco) and give them an opportunity to install them.? They probably will accommodate you since they were required to install seat belts by law.

I believe seat belts have  been a requirement for a long time, however there were years when  the RV regulations  did not require shoulder harnesses.  I think they got around it with the high back seats.  I'm not sure why.  Our 1999 MH does not have shoulder harnesses, only seat belts. The newer rigs I look at all have a harness built into the seat itself.  One could  probably buy new seats. Villa or FlexSteel are a couple of manufacturers.  Keep us posted .

Betty Brewer

I suspect the only safe way to install shoulder harness  belts would be to replace the seats as Betty indicated.  It is doubtfull that the walls were designed to take the stress of a shoulder belt.  My old '94 was that way so we lived with just the seat belt, no shoulder one.

The 2001 we have has shoulder belts attached tot  he wall but the newer ones have them integrated with the seat.

We have shoulder belts in our 1997 Endeavor LE.  They're anchored to the sidewalls.

Thanks for the excellent responses.  You've given me some good ideas for dealing with the shoulder harness problem.  I will call Monaco and see if a shoulder harness can be installed in the walls.  If not, then I will purchase seats that contain shoulder harnesses.

Mike

The 95 we just purchased does not have the harness just the lap seat belt so they must have not been required until after 95.  Good luck on finding a solution.  I would be interested in knowing what you do to resolve this. 

MariahAZ said:
The 95 we just purchased does not have the harness just the lap seat belt so they must have not been required until after 95.  Good luck on finding a solution.  I would be interested in knowing what you do to resolve this. 

Mariah

I don't think it was the year built but a coach builder's decision. We've had 2 coaches, a 1998 Damon UltraSport and our current 2002 Travel Supreme diesel pusher. Neither came with shoulder harnesses, lap belts only. No air bags either :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom