Shower skylight cracked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charger1204

I just discovered a leak in my shower stall that was coming from a couple of cracks around the perimeter of my skylight. My question is, are the skylight covers a generic size or do you need to special order an exact part number? I have a 2011 Winnie Vista 26p. I don't really want to wait on a special part when Amazon sells these things!

I had to replace one years ago and found it on line. I wish I could remember the name of the company. Just Google RV Skylights.  Make sure you use stainless steel screws.

Get up there and measure it.  Then on-line to pick one to order.  You will need the sealant and stuff as well.  There are some decent Youtube videos on how to replace/install the skylight.  If it's Amazon, it's an easy return if a no fit.  In the meantime, I would get some tape and seal it up, from the top side.

Head up to the roof and measure. Plenty of options for new sky lites. Include "RV" when you google. Most options will give you the flange dimensions.

It is possible to repair it. At the the very least on a temp basis. You can use JB weld epoxy. You can also use some of the clear epoxy. Scrape any and all sealant from the crack area. It is also good to sand the crack carefully about 1/4 in wide centered on the cracks. You can go wider if out of the field of view. Wipe the areas down with rubbing alcohol and apply the epoxy. Let it set and reseal the areas.

The bath skylights are prone to damage due to their size. Age will also make them brittle. Mine is 21 years old and has taken some hits. I just got off the roof yesterday after making several crack repairs and a reseal. It poured last nite and all is good. Most of the mounting screws were pretty rusted. I removed the bad ones and left them out then filled the holes with sealant. Be sure that the flange is not lifting freely off the sealant. Check it closely. If it is lifting, remove the screws in that area and shoot some sealant under it. don't  be stingy on the sealant. The original GE silicone works great for temp repairs. Be sure all surfaces are clean and wiped with rubbing alcohol. The original GE silicone can resist water very quickly following an application.

If you replace the skylight be aware that most of the existing mounting screw holes will not accept the same size screw very well. If the new sky light has the same screw pattern it might be a good idea to up the screw size which may require a larger clearance hole in the sky light flange. Use plenty of sealant.

The short answer is maybe both, there are a number of standard sizes, there are also custom ones, or one of the standard sizes may be able to used, but not be a perfect fit (different size shoulder, or height of dome)

Several years ago I replaced a shower skylight with a flat piece of UV resistant plexiglass.  You'll still gain the 3" or so thickness of the roof joists in the shower headroom.

If it?s leaking at the flange, put some eterna bond tape all around the flange and be done with it. That tape will last for years. If the crack is on the bubble, apply tape there also.  Save yourself some work and money at least for quite a while.

If the crack is in the bubble, I'd try Cryanocrylic (Super Glue) and a drying accelerant.  Baking soda will dry white but there are other spray on accelerants that dry clear.

Or one of the do-it-yourself windshield crack repair kits.

If it's a vent cover (one that tilts open), those are usually standard size and pretty easy to replace. I replaced the one over our shower with the help of Youtube several years ago... and also upgraded the fan while I was at it. Both parts from Amazon or Ebay.

Either design (vent or skylight), I'd replace instead of repairing if possible and not too costly. The plastic surface may be getting brittle from sun/weather exposure on a 10yo rig, so a repair could be temporary until another crack forms. If it's a thick piece of plexiglass that looks okay otherwise, maybe a repair would be a good option.

Although I LOVE the idea of repairing the two small cracks instead of spending 120.00 for the one I need (finally found it), I think I'll just replace and be done with it, My wife has a pretty severe issue with mold and I don't want to risk it leaking again and me not finding it until it's too late. I believe this was caused by MULTITUDES of pine debris you know,  those hard as rock green cones falling the 60' down onto my rig...I unfortunately am surrounded by very large pines where I live and until I can extend my power another 160'...I'll have to deal with it. Thanks to everyone for all the information and solutions. I've sealed it and covered it with heavy plastic and have it drying while I wait for my replacement.

Well today was the first day it wasn't supposed to rain since I got the replacement skylight and had the time off to actually replace it. I was kind of shocked to see that Winnebago only put 2 screws on each corner of the old cover along with a metal plate that curved around the perimeter of the flange. That old one practically fell apart as I was taking it off, and the new one was considerably larger than the old one, but I made it work...AND OF COURSE IT STARTED TO RAIN after I had finished, I hope that sealant they sent is quick setting. I covered it with the box it came in and then put a tarp over it...hopefully it wont rain too much and it'll cure correctly.Should I be concerned ? :-\

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to worry about that roof...I'm getting ready to put up a shelter, this darn pine trees are wreaking havoc on "Uncle Bob". I think it'll be okay, that stuff was pretty sticky!!!

Back
Top Bottom