shower tub cracks- repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csarm

I just bought a 2000 Forrest River Sandpiper T24 and the shower has some small cracks in the tub around the drain. Overall, the tub itself seems pretty well supported underneath, except in the area around the drain. I'm not sure if it's plastic or fiberglass. I'd rather not replace the whole tub, but would prefer to repair what I have. What's the best way to repair this? Would a sealant be appropriate, or a patch, or is there something else to do? And also, what's the best way to add support underneath of the area around the drain to prevent future cracking?

Attachments

• IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2924.JPG
    IMG_2924.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 15
Are the cracks leaking water? If not it may be just easier to stay away from the drain when standing in the tub. In my shower, there is no support around the drain and I have no way to get to the bottom to add some support so we Just try to avoid standing over the drain.

Are the cracks leaking water? If not it may be just easier to stay away from the drain when standing in the tub. In my shower, there is no support around the drain and I have no way to get to the bottom to add some support so we Just try to avoid standing over the drain.
Thanks. I'd also like to repair or seal the cracks somehow. Do you have a recommendation for doing that?

I would have no idea. I think you’ll have to find out what they are made out of.
So are you saying the cracks are leaking?
I just saw that you had pictures. That doesn’t look good.
I don’t know if the manufacturer of the RV is still in business. If they are maybe you can contact them. They may have the name of who made the tub and they can probably get you answers.

Is there a wall where you may be able to gain access buy cutting a hole on the backside?

Last edited:
Short of replacing it I would try a high grade marine epoxy around the cracks. If you are able to get access as Rene suggested, or from underneath, I would use a layer or three of 1/4" fiberglass mat for support. But make sure you can still remove the drain and pipes in case of future problems. It is already weak so shower alone ;)

I wouldn't try to glue it with anything, that won't last. I had cracks in my shower in the same area. I patched them with a kit I found searching online. That was four years and a lot of showers ago and it is still fixed and looks good. Goggle Aberdeen Home Repair. At the site search for 5000 cracked tub repair kit. Worked great and looks good. I followed the directions and stop-drilled the ends of the cracks, sanded the area with the included abrasive and cleaned the area with the included solvent wipes. Then I cut the white rubber patch material to extend at least 1 inch beyond the cracks and pulled off the backing paper and applied the patch. I heated it a little (just warm) with a hair dryer on low and pressed the patch down tight. After some use some of the dark rubber glue came out from under the patch. I removed that with paint thinner and four years later it is still holding.

If you can get underneath it, applying fiberglass cloth & resin to the underside would be a permanent fix. Remove the drain, repair the underside, use tub surface repair kit for a topside cosmetic fix, and then reinstall the drain.

If you can't get underneath (the most likely situation, do the best you can from the top.

I have a 2014 bullet premier. Mine was cracked and i did not want to do a tub replacement so heres my fix. I drilled the tub out to the next size up drain, typically used for sinks. Works great. Shored up the underside with wood blocks because i believe the flexing allowed by the cheap factory supports let it crack. Check yours earlie and add support to avoid this.

Attachments

• 20190909_180134.jpg
    20190909_180134.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190910_184244.jpg
    20190910_184244.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190910_194734.jpg
    20190910_194734.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics