Shunt location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koodog

Hey folks,
Need some info on where you mounted your shunt for the trimetric battery monitor. Have a new to me Horizon and cant easily see where I can hook up the shunt. Looking for options.

Koodog said:
Hey folks,
Need some info on where you mounted your shunt for the trimetric battery monitor. Have a new to me Horizon and cant easily see where I can hook up the shunt. Looking for options.

I guess if I don't know what a shunt is, I probably don't need it after all these years.  :eek: ::) :-\ ;)

Rene T said:
I guess if I don't know what a shunt is, I probably don't need it after all these years.  :eek: ::) :-\ ;)

I guess you don't boondock much.  A shunt is what meters like the Tri Metric use to measure the current going in and out of the batteries so they can keep accurate track of their state of charge.

Dunno what the Trimeteric shunt looks like, but I removed the base from the one for my Victron and bolted it straight to the negative post of one battery.

The negative battery terminal goes to one side of the shunt. (This is the only thing connected to the negative terminal.) The other side of the shunt goes to the chassis.

You want to keep these wires as short as practical so the shunt usually ends up close to the battery. Some mount it right on the negative terminal as in SLOweather's install. Probably get away without making up another cable that way.

Mine is connected to the negative battery terminal with a 4 inch steel strap. And like Tom said, it's the only thing connected to that terminal.

Kev

Rene T said:

Don't feel you are alone, I was thinking medical not electrical.

Thanks for the replies.
On all my other installs I connected all negative leads to one side of the shunt and the other side to chassis.(per trimetric instructions)
Where I'm confused is I have basically what looks to be a ground bar buss welded to frame.
If I only go from a negative lead of a battery to the chassis will I not miss some loads?
Of course this bundle is behind batteries and not easily accessible.

Koodog said:
On all my other installs I connected all negative leads to one side of the shunt and the other side to chassis.(per trimetric instructions)
Where I'm confused is I have basically what looks to be a ground bar buss welded to frame.
If I only go from a negative lead of a battery to the chassis will I not miss some loads?
Of course this bundle is behind batteries and not easily accessible.

I think you misread the TriMetric instructions.

Doing it the way you described will miss anything that uses a chassis ground return, only measuring the current that are on the wires that used to connect to the negative battery terminal(s).

There should be nothing except maybe an extension wire between one side of the shunt and the negative battery post(s).  All of the load wires including the chassis ground wire move to the other end of the shunt, so all of the current going in or out of the battery flows through the shunt.

Of course, maybe your previous trailer didn't have anything that used a chassis ground.

Lou Schneider said:

Doing it the way you described will miss anything that uses a chassis ground return, only measuring the current that are on the wires that used to connect to the negative battery terminal(s).

There should be nothing except maybe an extension wire between one side of the shunt and the negative battery post(s).  All of the load wires including the chassis ground wire move to the other end of the shunt, so all of the current going in or out of the battery flows through the shunt.

Of course, maybe your previous trailer didn't have anything that used a chassis ground.

Yes one side of the shunt is connected to the negative side of the battery and all your loads (negative) should be connected to the other side of the shunt.  Also you should locate the shunt as close to the battery as possible.

Lou Schneider said:

You are correct. I did install that way. Sometimes I just confuse myself. I hate getting old!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom