SHURflo 4008-101-A65 short cycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerPJ

So I have a basic travel trailer with water pump, last trip out, seems to cycles a couple seconds every five minutes. I'm guessing it is draining back into holding tank and re-priming? (we rarely use city water connection) Seems there is a check valve 94-800-03 in the unit. Could this be the problem? I see I can replace pretty cheap, but I saw some other info to just put a simple inline check valve prior to the pump? Or, I could just replace the pump, not hard. Any suggestions, moma will not be happy if it dies on us, lol.

Valve
Another valve pic on ebay valve
New SHURflo Pump

Any ideas for an in-line checkvalve that maybe I could pick up at local Colrain RV store?

advise appreciated.

Are you sure you don't have a small leak? Sounds like the pump is hitting pressure, shutting off and then the pressure is bleeding off and causing the pump to run again.

Are you sure you don't have a small leak? Sounds like the pump is hitting pressure, shutting off and then the pressure is bleeding off and causing the pump to run again.
You are correct. And I have checked every single fitting and connection spot. Really basic trailer and plumbing is all visible.

You can insert any standard inline check valve prior to the pump inlet. It's probably a 1/2" water line. Check valves are available wherever plumbing parts are sold. Go to a hardware store or plumbing supply, not an RV dealer.

Mine was doing that too, turned out it was the check valve in the pump head. Replaced the pump head and all good now.

You can insert any standard inline check valve prior to the pump inlet. It's probably a 1/2" water line. Check valves are available wherever plumbing parts are sold. Go to a hardware store or plumbing supply, not an RV dealer.
Thanks, I went to Menards, Home Depot and Ace, no avail, I was shocked. 1/2" barb is what I need. Found one on Amazon pretty cheap.

Mine was doing that too, turned out it was the check valve in the pump head. Replaced the pump head and all good now.
That will be my next step, hoping a $5 check valve works as well, I'll be mad if I take apart valve and create other issues and I'm going to be gone a few days, home, then camping, and I hate to create a problem then be forced to stop at RV store and buy pump, lol.

Another option would be to just shut the pump off when you're not using water. Once you can get home you can dive into the pump innards and clean out the check valve. Odds are just a tiny chunk of crud got in there. I agree, not a road you want to go down in the middle of a trip so rather than muck with it, just work through it until you get home.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Since your RV is a 2012 model and you use the pump a lot, it is quite possible that it does have a leak back problem. While either check valve would probably work, if it were me I'd use the one for the pump, since it isn't that much work to replace and you could easily clean the pump interior while you have it apart. I have rebuilt several diaphragm pumps and it really isn't that difficult. You will want the fresh water tank empty before you remove the pump or it will drain from the suction line.

I went to Menards, Home Depot and Ace, no avail, I was shocked. 1/2" barb is what I need.
And nobody could figure out an adapter for whatever style valve they had? Besides, doesn't your 2015 trailer have Pex tubing? A compression fitting or push-fit fitting (like a Sharkbite) would be the preferred method.

And nobody could figure out an adapter for whatever style valve they had? Besides, doesn't your 2015 trailer have Pex tubing? A compression fitting or push-fit fitting (like a Sharkbite) would be the preferred method.
I actually found a brass valve at a store and plan to pick-up tomorrow. Lol, the trailer is pex throughout, but the cheap xyz.. used a 1/2" id rv braided hose, to come up from the tank below that attaches to a T then the strainer / pump. I didn't feel the sharkbite Menards had was going to work with the hose I have, but now this brass valve I found, will slip in easily between strainer and pump.
$10 at a plumbing store as you suggested, here's a link of one I'm getting, but not from eTrailer, but the same Valterra Brass Valve

Back
Top Bottom