Sick DeskJet 882C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonJordan

Moderator Emeritus
My old standby HP DeskJet 882-C has developed a major problem.  The only color that prints is red (along with black that is in a separate Tank).  I have replaced the TriColor HP C1823D cartridge twice with new cartridges and the problem remains.  It is my idea that the print heads are part of the HP cartridges so if that is the case it would appear that the problem isn't mechanical but somewhere in the operating system.

I hate the idea of junking this printer as I like the large capacity cartridges and I have a number of them on hand  :mad: .  Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

If several cleaning cycles doesn't clear it up, then it's probably easier (and cheaper) to just get a new printer.  With photo quality inkjets <$100, it doesn't pay to try to salvage an older printer.  Perhaps you can find someone to buy the extra cartridges.  They may fit other HP models.

Just to be sure I have this straight, when you print a multi-colored image (e.g. a photo), you get only black and red on the paper and the other colors/shades are completely missing?  If that is the case and a new cartridge doesn't help. I would say the printer electronics are shot and it is goner.  However, print the HP printer test page (which does not rely on external software) to be sure.  There should be a function in the HP Utilities to command a Print Test but there is also a button sequence that will trigger it - see your manual or ask HP Support. If the Print Test works, your hardware is probably OK.

If the Print Test works but photos and such still don't print right, the problem is likely software and I would remove and re-install the printer driver.

Thanks to all for the responses.? To answer some of the questions:

RV Roamer said:
Just to be sure I have this straight, when you print a multi-colored image (e.g. a photo), you get only black and red on the paper and the other colors/shades are completely missing? If that is the case and a new cartridge doesn't help. I would say the printer electronics are shot and it is goner.

You have it right!? I may have to offer the cartridges on eBay - these are the big 30ml <?> cartridges and cost quite a bit.? I loved them because I could go on printing "forever" <VBG>.

Ron said:
Don,

Have you tried reinstalling the printer drivers?

Yes, no joy!

Ned said:
If several cleaning cycles doesn't clear it up, then it's probably easier (and cheaper) to just get a new printer. With photo quality inkjets <$100, it doesn't pay to try to salvage an older printer. Perhaps you can find someone to buy the extra cartridges. They may fit other HP models.

I came to that conclusion and went out and got a new HP PSC 1610xi All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier.? It is the right size to fit where the old 882C was mounted and gives me the fax as well as scan and copy.? I'll save the 882C and let George VanLuchene play with it to see if he can get it working again? ;D

Ron said:
Glad you got the printer problem resolved even if it did take a new printer to do it.

So far the new PSC is doing a fine job.  Due to the chemo therapy I'm undergoing, my ability to concentrate on instructions is pretty limited so I still have  lot to learn about the various features and how to use them.  ;D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom