Side marker wiring/Haloview side camera confusion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaostactics

Ok I thought this was going to be straight forward but not so much.

TL:DR Which wire is which hot which ground?

So I'm trying to install Haloview BTC129 cameras. I pulled the forward LED side marker light, cut the two black wires and stripped them back.
In the pics I've labeled them "Left and right" to keep them separate for ID purposes.

The three wire capped wires were wiring present but not connected to the preexisting LED side marker light, just tucked behind.

I think the left one is the hot? Using a multi meter if I measure both side marker lights ("Left" and "Right") I get 12.5V. Measuring Left to all other wires except solid green results in 0V. Left to the solid green results in 14V.

I know some RVs side marker lights can also function as a turn signal. Mine don't appear to I think... putting on the turn signal and connecting left to all other wires does not result in any voltage change. I don't need the forward side markers to function as turn signals but it'd be neat as there's a "trigger" wire on the haloview that's supposed to auto switch to that camera when you activate the turn signal for that side with the tow vehicle.

OF NOTE: When all 5 wires from the front side marker are disconnected it does not cause an outage on the rear marker light on that side.

Screenshot_20230125_112523_Gallery.jpg20230125_110913.jpg

It might help if you told us what year/make/model of RV this is.

Side "marker" lights" are functionally distinct from"turn signals" and from "docking lights", though the same fixture could host more than one function. Depending on what you had originally, the available wiring would differ.

I gather the second photo is the wiring at the RV side. Is the first one the Haloview combo camera/light? What was wired into the RV before and how was it connected? Why do you think it might have a trigger wire?

I think the left one is the hot? Using a multi meter if I measure both side marker lights ("Left" and "Right") I get 12.5V. Measuring Left to all other wires except solid green results in 0V. Left to the solid green results in 14V.
In the photo, the solid green is wire nutted to two other wires, so whatever its function they are all the same. Based on your meter reading, the solid green is maybe the ground connection for the other two wires, which apparently serve some other function.
Are you saying you see 12.5v between left & right wires? That would mean one is hot and the other a ground.

Last edited:
It might help if you told us what year/make/model of RV this is.

Side "marker" lights" are functionally distinct from"turn signals" and from "docking lights", though the same fixture could host more than one function. Depending on what you had originally, the available wiring would differ.

I gather the second photo is the wiring at the RV side. Is the first one the Haloview combo camera/light? What was wired into the RV before and how was it connected? Why do you think it might have a trigger wire?

In the photo, the solid green is wire nutted to two other wires, so whatever its function they are all the same. Based on your meter reading, the solid green is maybe the ground connection for the other two wires, which apparently serve some other function.

Whoops. I thought the RV showed up in the signature by default. It's a 2019 Grand Design 2150RB.

Wired in before what just a plain orange LED side marker light. It was just two black wires the ones that are now labeled as "left and right". (Left and right has nothing to do with functions it's just so if someone is referring to the pics it's easier to ID them).

The Haloview has a trigger wire that's named trigger wire.

I've some cases where the side markers can also signal. From the factory mine doesnt have that functionaliy.
However I've seen some people add it after by doing something with the 7pin wiring. That's too much work for me, I don't think auto switching cameras are paramount.

Probably. Is the trailer connected to the tow vehicle? If not, how are the markers being powered? Seems like there must be some other power present if connection to the greenwire shows 14v - that's high-rate charging voltage.

You said you removed the existing marker light. Which wires was that connected to?

In any case, either 12.5v or 14v ought to light a marker if connected to the appropriate wires on the light+camera gadget. The Haloview says it is sensitive to polarity (Red wire must be the hot), so make sure that is right. If you jumper the +12/24 wire and the ground on that Haloview unit to a battery, does the marker light? If not, you are apparently missing some information about how to hook it up. Go back to the Halo instructions or call their Customer Support.

In case others are following this, the Haloview BTC129 manual can be found at https://haloview-user-manual.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/BTC128-BTC129_User_Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Solved! /Thread.

There was a loose connection in the three wire bundle that was behind the lamps. It's not directly connected to the black wires to the side markers but must provide continuity somewhere.

Using digital meter, the red going to gnd and black going to hot will give a negative reading. Good way to check polarity.

According to the manual, if the unit is wired to the running lights (markers), the camera is active whenever the lights are on. Ditto for a reverse (back-up light) circuit. If wired to a turn signal, it is active only when the turn signal is on, meaning the camera blinks along with the light. Not too convenient.

The trigger wire seemingly selects which camera is active in a multi-camera configuration, but no details provided on the details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom