Side mirror mounting screws stripped out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dauninge

On my 2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit M3500 the screws that hold the side mirrors on are stripped out. It feels soft behind it, so I suspect the wood that they screw into is rotted?
What is the best way to fix these? I was thinking about taking the side panels off in the interior and putting good wood in, but I'm not sure. Is that the best way? If so, how is the panel removed?
It has what appear to be fasteners, but I don't know how they come out and I want to be able to put it back snug. Picture of the panel is attached.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• SidePanel (480x640).jpg
    SidePanel (480x640).jpg
    277 KB · Views: 30
  The screws themselves should tell you what material they are screwed into,, a wood screw is different than a metal screw and a metal screw is different than a machine screw.>>>Dan

They are wood screws that go through the mirror mount to the side of the MH.
I don't know how the interior side panel is removed, and if that is the only option for securing the mirror.

I've fixed stripped out wood screws holes before by tapping in several matchstick size pieces of good wood (slivers off a piece of threaded lumber for outdoor repairs)Tap in as many as will fit into the hole. Length of these pieces depends on the depth of the hole of course. These pieces spread apart and get tight as the screw goes in, works much better than a solid plug.  As long as the wood underneath isn't totally shot, this usually works pretty well until such time you get in the mood to dismantle everything.

My mirrors are bolted on and reinforcement plates on the inside for strength.
Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

The picture you posted looks like screws may be hidden behind that button. Take a thin bladed screw driver and see if that button will pop off.

The wood is too rotten I'm sure to use anything like wood slivers.

dabrooks, You were spot on! I didn't think the cap came off, but it did and there is a screw behind it!
Thank you!

I'll take as much of the panel off that I can without having to take apart the dash and hopefully get a plate or another piece of wood in there to refasten the mirror screws.

Thanks everyone for the responses and a big thank you to dabrooks for answering my big dilemma question.

Back
Top Bottom