Siding lifting up from roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

58LesPaul

On the front top where camper is rounded off and siding meets the roof, the siding is lifting up a little in one corner. What is the best way to prepare? Tape and then a sealant/caulk? It’s a 2013 30’ Puma with EPDM roof.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
Can you take a couple of pictures to help us better understand what you’re up against.

Unfortunately my camper is 2 hours away. The siding on the end by the hitch goes up and meets the roof. Here’s a generic pic , where the end siding angles up and meets the roof the siding is lifting up on one end. I figured I could push it back down and use the RV ROOF TAPE and then use some RV ROOF CAULK and put over that.

Attachments

• D4339FF1-C1D6-4B30-98BC-EB6C84FB2CBC.jpeg
    D4339FF1-C1D6-4B30-98BC-EB6C84FB2CBC.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 7
Usually there’s a strip of metal that runs from side to side. The roof material and the siding material both go under that strip and is held down with screws. Then the factory applies a self leveling sealer to stop water from getting underneath the metal strip. Is this the area you’re talking about?

Yes that sounds like the area but I don’t recall a metal strip holding it down.
Usually there’s a strip of metal that runs from side to side. The roof material and the siding material both go under that strip and is held down with screws. Then the factory applies a self leveling sealer to stop water from getting underneath the metal strip. Is this the area you’re talking about?
Yes, that sounds like the area but I don’t recall a metal strip, I may be wrong but I seem to remember something that resembled screws every 6-8 inches but couldn’t actually see the screws but maybe extra sealer in those spots.

Could I use rv tape and self leveling sealer and fix it you think?

The metal strip is under all that caulking held down with those screws. If the siding has pulled out from under that metal strip you’re going to have to remove all the screws, carefully pry up and remove the metal piece and clean all the old caulking. I would probably drill all new holes in the strip and get new stainless steel screws. Then just reverse the steps and re-install. Put a good bead of caulking down first where the strip is going to sit.

Yes that sounds like the area but I don’t recall a metal strip holding it down.
Yes, that sounds like the area but I don’t recall a metal strip, I may be wrong but I seem to remember something that resembled screws every 6-8 inches but couldn’t actually see the screws but maybe extra sealer in those spots.

Could I use rv tape and self leveling sealer and fix it j ?
The metal strip is under all that caulking held down with those screws. If the siding has pulled out from under that metal strip you’re going to have to remove all the screws, carefully pry up and remove the metal piece and clean all the old caulking. I would probably drill all new holes in the strip and get new stainless steel screws. Then just reverse the steps and re-install. Put a good bead of caulking down first where the strip is going to sit.
what kind of caulking do you recommend?

Thanks

If the siding has pulled out from under that strip and if you don’t take the extra time to fix it now, you’ll eventually have issues again. I would use the Dicor self leveling caulk then the Eternabond. Tape.

Thanks, just ordered the caulk and tape. The siding hasn’t pulled out from under the strip, it appears the strip has lifted up on that end.

Back
Top Bottom